GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why the hell is my car so slow

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Dude with a faster, manual golf couldn’t keep up with my less powerful dsg in tight turns
I just don't think a heavier transmission would explain it being faster in tight turns. Maybe since the manual car was more powerful it was spinning tires easier coming out of turns

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I just don't think a heavier transmission would explain it being faster in tight turns. Maybe since the manual car was more powerful it was spinning tires easier coming out of turns
Driver skill....

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco

The other driver had mentioned my car being dsg and theirs being a manual as the reason for their delay, but yeah I’m sure it’s a lot of factors.

Back on topic, I’m hoping that the op can try again and try shifting later in the revs.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
So the amount of wheel torque you gain from short shifting, is more than the amount of wheel torque you lose from going up a gear? With third being 28% longer than second?
Short shifting is not what this is about. Using a stock Mk7 GTI as an example, it's clear the car doesn't pull as hard after about 5800 rpm. It's a fallacy to thing that redline shifting is always the fastest way. It all depends on the curves.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
It's the point where the 2 lines cross. And for the others I clearly qualified my statement about tuned cars. By the way, show me a curve where peak HP is at 7K RPM with the OP's tune.
easy clap

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R
If it’s a tuned car you need to look at the horsepower and torque curves and shift where they are at their PEAK.

It's the point where the 2 lines cross. And for the others I clearly qualified my statement about tuned cars. By the way, show me a curve where peak HP is at 7K RPM with the OP's tune.

I quoted it for you since you forgot. You said shift where horsepower and torque are at their peak. The peaks for horsepower and torque will almost always be at two different rpms and almost never will be at 5252 rpm where torque and horsepower ALWAYS cross.

So which is it now? Are we supposed to shift at 5,252rpm?

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R
95%+ of the population don't know how to drive manual trans cars let alone drive them fast, so there's an assumption that they're so much slower.

In a straight line on our platform with the only variable being the transmission isn't the DSG faster?

Anywhere other than a straight line I agree.

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
I've been driving manual since I started driving, had an auto car for 2 months, though I'm only 24. I'll say the fastest way to finish me off is to grab my knob and bang it, but only with the right girl. On the other hand, I've driven the GTI in manual and DSG and manual is definitely the most fun and provides more points to modify.

Back on the topic: I probably won't chase that a3 again because of pride issues. I would be glad to find another car and try again.