GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why the hell is my car so slow

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
This morning, cool weather, nice IAT’s and good fuel. Just put some new injectors in , car runs excellent. 2.0t a3 lines it up two times (first race starting in 2nd gear and other 3rd gear). Man this dude pulled on me in the 2nd gear race I’m assuming due to traction and in the third gear race I was about to pass him as we neared 100 but he let off.

The a3 was stage 2 and my gti is gt2260s on 93. I did have a passenger who weighs 200 pounds so I’m not sure if that makes a world of a difference but I feel defeated. Was my is20 setup faster than I am now? All I know is my wife’s boyfriend is gonna be pissed that I lost.

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
200lbs is a lot of extra weight.

Go for the ricer flyby strategy so they don't have a chance. You win every time! 😂
My brother who was the passenger had the audacity to say "damn dude your car is slow as hell he smoked you". Next time ill give him the fly by, that'll hurt his feelings.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
You guys let off right where turbo upgrades start to shine.

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
You guys let off right where turbo upgrades start to shine.
Gotta start the race at a higher speed/engine rpm.
I think I need to get used to brake boosting as well so that I can start off a little stronger, it is only a 2260 so I was hoping the low end would be a little better than maybe a vortex. Would a catless downpipe help me to spool quicker?
Tell the bro you would have won if he shedded a few lbs :p
IDK what he thought this was but we are in a golf not his m3 lol.

acoustic_

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
My R is completely stock (and will be for a while) .. had a hawkeye STI come up on me, FMIC, possibly rotated turbo, and no front bumper.

I giggled and we ran it real quick. He got dusted when he missed 3rd.

thanks 7spd DSG!

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
With the mods you have your car shouldn't be slow... Can you datalog to verify you don't have a boost leak, pulling timing etc situation?

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
With the mods you have your car shouldn't be slow... Can you datalog to verify you don't have a boost leak, pulling timing etc situation?
Yep will do a log and post it as soon as I can. From what Matt @eqt is saying, it seems the car is running fine but maybe something occurred in the last couple of days.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
It also could come down to what fuel you both were running. If he’s on E and you’re on 91 that could also make a big difference

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
This is the answer.

I'm stage 2 on an is20 and I could hang up to 100mph. Its after that point where the stock turbo struggles to keep pulling and where the big turbo shines.
You're convincing me to stay IS20. Thank you.