GOLFMKV

2019 Golf R, Spektrum Viper Green 1 of 33 for SALE

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI

CosmosMpower

Ready to race!
It's completely understandable if there are those of you who find the vehicle to be "too expensive". It is though a part of VW history and there are not Spektrum R's available for sale that are in remotely similar condition or with the mileage this low. This is meant for a collector or enthusiast who knows what it means to have it. It's not just a standard '19 R. If it was you'd be seeing it priced the way you are implying this one should be.

I appreciate everyone's replies though! It's nice to see the interest in the post.

I don’t know many people that collect commuter hatchbacks lol

ATK

Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
There was a silver/blue that looked like the 993 silver that I would have liked, but I think I'm probably one of about six people that cared.

Unfortunately, the digital images of most of the Spektrum colors look nothing like they do in real life, but I think the one you have above is what they tried to portray as Star Blue Metallic. Only one was ever ordered and produced in North America for the Canadian market. From what I've heard in talking with the former owner is that this dealer originally chose the color and ordered it, but it sat for a long time when new. When he bought it, they sold it to him as just a Blue Golf R and never noted anything special about the color. A friend of mine randomly saw the car while driving by a park and was able to connect me with the owner. After telling him the car was a 1 of 1 in North America, he listed it privately for $50k CAD. He ended up selling it back to the dealer in October 2021 for a pretty good return and it has been listed at the same price ever since (maybe $52k originally?).

https://www.comoxvalleyvolkswagen.c...en-golf-r-courtenay-british-columbia/18926599

ATK

Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
Sorry, I'm late to the party guys. I should really check in here more often. I love this car, but I'm not mad about the price. Was it silly that they originally listed it at $70k? Hell yeah, but this car will have greater historic value to someone and is one reason I have a tough time assigning a real market value. Honestly, I hope someone buys it and drives the snot out of it.

Here are some additional fun facts about this R:
  • This R was a VWoA fleet vehicle and known internally as Jake The Snake.
  • It was used by VW Accessories to show off some of their aftermarket add-ons from Oettinger. The kit was purposely painted in this color scheme to make them more visible to people when on display at events.
  • Even though this was the most popular color, this particular unit was the first of the 33 made in this color for the USA. And c'mon you guys, 33 is still freaking rare in the car world.
  • This R was the 6th of the 199 Spektrums produced for the USA.

@CJ_215 Whoever wrote the ad got close on the production figures, but not quite right. This one is 1 of 33 and 199 Spektrums were produced for the USA. Would love to connect with you if you're on IG @spektrum.only.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
Sorry, I'm late to the party guys. I should really check in here more often. I love this car, but I'm not mad about the price. Was it silly that they originally listed it at $70k? Hell yeah, but this car will have greater historic value to someone and is one reason I have a tough time assigning a real market value. Honestly, I hope someone buys it and drives the snot out of it.

Here are some additional fun facts about this R:
  • This R was a VWoA fleet vehicle and known internally as Jake The Snake.
  • It was used by VW Accessories to show off some of their aftermarket add-ons from Oettinger. The kit was purposely painted in this color scheme to make them more visible to people when on display at events.
  • Even though this was the most popular color, this particular unit was the first of the 33 made in this color for the USA. And c'mon you guys, 33 is still freaking rare in the car world.
  • This R was the 6th of the 199 Spektrums produced for the USA.

@CJ_215 Whoever wrote the ad got close on the production figures, but not quite right. This one is 1 of 33 and 199 Spektrums were produced for the USA. Would love to connect with you if you're on IG @spektrum.only.

The person buying this because of historic value is the opposite of the person buying it to drive the snot out of it. Obviously different people have different finances but generally just about anyone with that mindset isn't spending 25-50% more and then dailying. These are also too new to be "nostalgic" buys. If you're the nostalgic golf nut, odds are you were able to afford one previously and you've already got your spektrum. The fact that its been available for two months kinda backs that up. I'd pay a slight premium for the right spektrum (I've been keeping my eye open and messaged you on your page a few times actually) but in this case they want 50% more than a standard 2019 manual R with similar mileage. 20 grand buys a lot of upgrades, track days, vacations, gas, trips to wookies, lap dances, onlyfans subscriptions or whatever else your vices are.

The other issue this car runs into is the fact that the RS3 exists and appeals to basically the same enthusiast segment. It's RS3 money and this car will never be as desirable as an RS3 to a majority of those enthusiasts. I think if you polled all of the spektrum owners on your page and asked how many would do a straight up trade for an RS3 with identical mileage/equipment to their spektrum at least half would do it, and of those that wouldnt the majority would decline because they have a manual and the RS3 doesn't come with a stick.

Last edited:

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
I don't get the premium prices on the Spektrum cars. It was a $2500 option so why are some trying to get $10k more out of them on the used market? I found one in SJ for the Dark Violet Pearl. Sick color but asking too much. If they came down to 45k I would consider it. Have been having crap luck trying to find a low mileage Golf R to replace my GTI. Had one lined up in LA and on way down they call me telling me it has a check engine light now and they need to fix before selling. Hard to believe on a car that had 6k miles on it. Two owners should have been a red flag. There was a 2018 with 275 miles on it recently on carvana. Not sure why it would be a 4 model years old with so few miles. Makes 0 sense to me

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I don't get the premium prices on the Spektrum cars. It was a $2500 option so why are some trying to get $10k more out of them on the used market? I found one in SJ for the Dark Violet Pearl. Sick color but asking too much. If they came down to 45k I would consider it. Have been having crap luck trying to find a low mileage Golf R to replace my GTI. Had one lined up in LA and on way down they call me telling me it has a check engine light now and they need to fix before selling. Hard to believe on a car that had 6k miles on it. Two owners should have been a red flag. There was a 2018 with 275 miles on it recently on carvana. Not sure why it would be a 4 model years old with so few miles. Makes 0 sense to me
The Mk8 R is released in a few days. That will start to correct the current issue with Mk7 R pricing. There was a two year window where no new R's were available, so demand was much higher than supply. It's still going to be silly for a while, as Mk8 R supply is low and dealers are playing the $5k-10k markup game, but once supply catches up, Mk7 R's should be back to original MSRP or there about. It's still weird times, I'm getting nearly what I paid for my 4 year old, 40k GTI when I trade it in and they'll almost certainly list at at a higher price than I paid for it and probably at or near MSRP. Silly.

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
I don't get the premium prices on the Spektrum cars. I found one in SJ for the Dark Violet Pearl. Sick color but asking too much. If they came down to 45k I would consider it. Have been having crap luck trying to find a low mileage Golf R to replace my GTI. Had one lined up in LA and on way down they call me telling me it has a check engine light now and they need to fix before selling. Hard to believe on a car that had 6k miles on it. Two owners should have been a red flag. There was a 2018 with 275 miles on it recently on carvana. Not sure why it would be a 4 model years old with so few miles. Makes 0 sense to me
The Mk8 R is released in a few days. That will start to correct the current issue with Mk7 R pricing. There was a two year window where no new R's were available, so demand was much higher than supply. It's still going to be silly for a while, as Mk8 R supply is low and dealers are playing the $5k-10k markup game, but once supply catches up, Mk7 R's should be back to original MSRP or there about. It's still weird times, I'm getting nearly what I paid for my 4 year old, 40k GTI when I trade it in and they'll almost certainly list at at a higher price than I paid for it and probably at or near MSRP. Silly.
I’m hoping on it. I really like the purple but not about to pay $52 for one with 10k miles when I can get a long range Tesla model 3 for that price.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
I’m hoping on it. I really like the purple but not about to pay $52 for one with 10k miles when I can get a long range Tesla model 3 for that price.

have you called the dealer? They’ve had it for a few months. You could be waiting a long time for a purple one to pop up if that’s the color you want

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Can anyone think of a valid reason for someone to buy this car instead of an RS3?