GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

auto stop start not working

videoman

Passed Driver's Ed
well does when it wants too. Is there a sensor or somethign that can be checked?
The switch on or off makes no difference, it rarely turns the engine off now when stopped. As i do a lot of town driving i have been having it off more than on, but recently i was runnign low on petrol so wanted to conserve petrol and decided to turn it on again, risking battery drain but hopefully more chance of getting to the petrol station.

the dash icon does show the a with the arrow through it saying its off, even though the button is on.

I initially thought it woulnd work unless the engine was hot, but that make no difference at all

can anyone offer any advice please?

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
I noticed this recently too; I suspect it has to do with outside ambient temp.

It's around -30°C here... you? LOL

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I would have been happy about that so I disabled mine completely. 😂

Johaan

Ready to race!
Check your battery. If it’s on the way out, start/stop gets intermittent. If the cold sapped it, might be your issue.

Dealers don’t always check this… took a couple times to get mine sorted.

videoman

Passed Driver's Ed
I am in UK and its winter, but its not really cold. My even when the engine is up to temperature it still doesnt work. Hence me thinking it was a sensor issue, but to be fair i don't even know how it works. I assumed it looked at rotation somewhere, I will check the battery, but it does start instantly, inferring a full charge. Its not been that cold here either this year, not like below zero c atm here its 13c unusally warm. I will be going out later in it, and make notes.

Johaan

Ready to race!
My battery was good enough to start and run the car just fine as well, but if the charge is not at full cap, the computer won’t kick in start/stop. Recall it’s running only on battery at that point so it won’t risk the shutdown if it could drain too low.

May not be your issue, was just my experience.

videoman

Passed Driver's Ed
well i indeed took it for a run as i had to go shopping. First set of lights it stopped, err needed manual start. 2nd set of lights it stopped needed manual start. didnt stop at all after that, apart from once. the only difference i noticed it was 14 degrees not 12 as before. however even then it only worked the once. I have yet to test the battery though.

videoman

Passed Driver's Ed
JC-10955_Bild_17_Start-Stop_SMALL.jpg

i found this on the Varta site

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
well does when it wants too. Is there a sensor or somethign that can be checked?
The switch on or off makes no difference, it rarely turns the engine off now when stopped. As i do a lot of town driving i have been having it off more than on, but recently i was runnign low on petrol so wanted to conserve petrol and decided to turn it on again, risking battery drain but hopefully more chance of getting to the petrol station.

the dash icon does show the a with the arrow through it saying its off, even though the button is on.

I initially thought it woulnd work unless the engine was hot, but that make no difference at all

can anyone offer any advice please?
Go to the Stop Start menu of Vehicle Status. What's the reason it states?

videoman

Passed Driver's Ed
i can't say i am familiar with that part. When i click the stop start bit on the touch screen it says the stop start is on.
something really screwy going on with it, cut off twice last night on the way to work, at the lights then immediately turned on again. I will have to test teh battery, any ideas to get an appropriate load test on it? I do have a multimeter but that will only test the voltage of course.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
i can't say i am familiar with that part. When i click the stop start bit on the touch screen it says the stop start is on.
something really screwy going on with it, cut off twice last night on the way to work, at the lights then immediately turned on again. I will have to test teh battery, any ideas to get an appropriate load test on it? I do have a multimeter but that will only test the voltage of course.
Next time you get the symbol for Stop Start not engaging in your cluster, immediately open that menu and memorise the reason...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Liable to be the battery especially if more than 6yrs old...

It takes at least 30mins of driving at 60mph+ with all the headlights/stereo/aircon etc OFF to charge the battery even a little bit....if its just town driving you do & only short runs (less than 5miles) that'll kill the battery unless you have it on a trickle charger...

gdub09

Ready to race!
There's a list on knowyourvw.com or in the owners manual online where it shows what requirements are needed for start/stop. I have it in my box at work but its several requirements long. I know it has interior temp, engine temp, seat belt, defrost, battery voltage, and a bunch more.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
There's a list on knowyourvw.com or in the owners manual online where it shows what requirements are needed for start/stop. I have it in my box at work but its several requirements long. I know it has interior temp, engine temp, seat belt, defrost, battery voltage, and a bunch more.
It's back a few posts in this thread.

videoman

Passed Driver's Ed
Next time you get the symbol for Stop Start not engaging in your cluster, immediately open that menu and memorise the reason..power consumption

Next time you get the symbol for Stop Start not engaging in your cluster, immediately open that menu and memorise the reason...
power consumption is high. I turn everything off but it still says the same. eg, fan, heaters etc. Just the automatic side lights are on as per car default