GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Build in progress

Chubbs_mk7

Car(s)
2017 VW GTI
Hey y’all.. so I wanted to get some general ideas and opinions. So I wanted to put a few modifications on my car (mk7)and what not. Nothing too extreme and by that I mean I wanted to to install a downpipe, jb4, intercooler and I think that’s it as far as performance. My car already has an intake. It’s my daily driver and I love it. I just want to make it more enjoyable. My question to you guys is that would I see good gains with the mods I’m planning on getting? I was thinking on getting the downpipe and jb4 first.. then the intercooler. I’m asking if that would be a nice simple build? Only reason why I don’t want a tune is because I feel skeptical af about it 😅 thanks in advance.

deleteaccount

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI Sport
Depends on what you’re looking for in performance. Stage 2 is a rabbit hole. If you want to have decent gains on a budget. Get stage 1 software and call it a day.

Chubbs_mk7

Car(s)
2017 VW GTI
I’m not sure how to even word it lol but I’m just trying to keep it simple. Maybe a little over 300 hp. If that’s even a realistic number for what I want. I was reading how some people were getting those numbers off of a jb4. Only reason why I’m hesitant on a tune is because I’ve also the long term damage that it could have on the car. But if stage 1 is safer than what I think it and if I can get more out of it then I’ll get it.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
If you're skeptical about a tune the piggyback puts you in the exact same boat.

You could blow your turbo that way too.

The tune isn't any more dangerous than the piggyback. Since it's a 2017 you're almost out of warranty anyway, that's the only "danger" from a tune vs. the piggyback. Take warranty out of the question and there's no reason to believe one is less reliable than the other.

There are bad tunes out there so they're not all equal. Seems like you need to do a good bit more research, you're at scratching the surface level at the moment.

Last edited:

deleteaccount

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI Sport
I’m not sure how to even word it lol but I’m just trying to keep it simple. Maybe a little over 300 hp. If that’s even a realistic number for what I want. I was reading how some people were getting those numbers off of a jb4. Only reason why I’m hesitant on a tune is because I’ve also the long term damage that it could have on the car. But if stage 1 is safer than what I think it and if I can get more out of it then I’ll get it.
Unitronic stage 1 is a more mild tune then some others. It will get you around 300 hp. Do all you oil changes including dsg and differential oil, new spark plugs, perhaps a valve cleaning depending on mileage. Only use recommend octane (91) or higher and you will be fine.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Hey y’all.. so I wanted to get some general ideas and opinions. So I wanted to put a few modifications on my car (mk7)and what not. Nothing too extreme and by that I mean I wanted to to install a downpipe, jb4, intercooler and I think that’s it as far as performance. My car already has an intake. It’s my daily driver and I love it. I just want to make it more enjoyable. My question to you guys is that would I see good gains with the mods I’m planning on getting? I was thinking on getting the downpipe and jb4 first.. then the intercooler. I’m asking if that would be a nice simple build? Only reason why I don’t want a tune is because I feel skeptical af about it 😅 thanks in advance.

If you feel skeptical about an actual tune versus the JB4, you need to do more research.

Chubbs_mk7

Car(s)
2017 VW GTI

The tune isn't any more dangerous than the piggyback. Since it's a 2017 you're almost out of warranty anyway, that's the only "danger" from a tune vs. the piggyback. Take warranty out of the question and there's no reason to believe one is less reliable than the other.

There are bad tunes out there so they're not all equal. Seems like you need to do a good bit more research, you're at scratching the surface level at the moment.

I appreciate the I go. Aside from the obvious though. Is there any way to prevent a blown turbo or my damage that the tune can cause? I’m not an aggressive driver by any means. I usually go 75 mph on the highway and that’s about it.

Chubbs_mk7

Car(s)
2017 VW GTI
Unitronic stage 1 is a more mild tune then some others. It will get you around 300 hp. Do all you oil changes including dsg and differential oil, new spark plugs, perhaps a valve cleaning depending on mileage. Only use recommend octane (91) or higher and you will be fine.
I appreciate all the information.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I appreciate the I go. Aside from the obvious though. Is there any way to prevent a blown turbo or my damage that the tune can cause? I’m not an aggressive driver by any means. I usually go 75 mph on the highway and that’s about it.
There's no way to stop a blown turbo on the stock tune.