GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 GTI to be revealed in March

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Is that REALLY it? It’s incredibly ugly
I felt the same before i test drove it, The front kidney grills take a little getting used to sure, but I can assure you that pictures do not do it justice!

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Is that REALLY it? It’s incredibly ugly
IMO the new mk8 Golf isn’t a good looker either.

I prefer the look of the BMW 1 series over the new Golf, but then it’s good we don’t all have the same likes and dislikes, otherwise life would be boring.

Just checked the list prices of a BMW M135, mk7.5 VW Golf GTI performance and mk7.5 Golf GTI TCR on Carwow, and the current list prices are;
BMW M135 - starting at £37,930 (Tech pack 1 level of trim)
Golf GTI Performance - £33,180
Golf GTI TCR - £37,830

So the list price of the new BMW M135 is in the same ballpark as the outgoing Golf GTI TCR. The new Golf GTI TCR (or Clubsport, or whatever VW chooses to call the higher performance version of the GTI) will almost certainly cost more than the outgoing model, meaning the higher performance variant of the GTI will be well into BMW territory on price in the UK.

I know which one my money would go on.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
33,180 Pound sterling equals 56,596.78 Canadian Dollar

No wonder moped theft is rampant in the UK... ?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Anyhow, when I first mentioned the M135i as the likely replacement for my current GTi it wasn’t because it was comparable by price or features, in all honesty being that it’s 300+hp and AWD it’s more in line with the R than the GTi, I just think it’s going to be the best choice when it comes time to change my car! I’ll also have had a chance to have a good look at the MK8 R by the time I’m looking to change as I will be attending the launch of the R at Goodwood festival of speed in July, but as it stands I’m just not likening the golf, the T Roc R follows the same styling cues as the new golf and I can’t say I liked the T Roc when I drove it, just didn’t feel very premium, where as the BMW really is very nice to drive and the interior is excellent!

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
the rear of the M135 looks amazing, front end super ugly. Too bad the states wont get it :(

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
How is it these things look older than the 2019 I just bought?

Looking at all the other Golf models through the years, you can line them right up and nothing sticks out.

I'm not so sure this styling direction is going to hold up as long as their previous efforts.

builtospill

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI
I hope the mk8 keeps Harman Kardon 10 speaker audio when it reaches North America and not that silly branded Beats audio that the Jetta has currently. Doesn’t the ROW get the nicer Dynaudio in the MK7 too?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I hope the mk8 keeps Harman Kardon 10 speaker audio when it reaches North America and not that silly branded Beats audio that the Jetta has currently. Doesn’t the ROW get the nicer Dynaudio in the MK7 too?
Yes.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Now if BMW made this, I would be all over it.

https://www.dmarge.com/2020/01/m3-estate-bmw.html
https://www.instagram.com/f81cs/

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie

The BMW M135i actually right in the new GTI's price, starting at £36k. The MK7.5 GTI is currently £34k according to CarWow. I'll take the BMW M135i over the VW any day. I got an offer from Carwow for £33k just for the fun of it.

Autocar says under 28,000 pounds for a 5 door GTI with Nav. The truth is you can’t get the GTI in GB currently. I’d guess they are transitioning to the Mk8. It’s not on VW UK’s website. The M135i starts at about 49k pounds.

scasey

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI
Autocar says under 28,000 pounds for a 5 door GTI with Nav. The truth is you can’t get the GTI in GB currently. I’d guess they are transitioning to the Mk8. It’s not on VW UK’s website. The M135i starts at about 49k pounds.
That's a lot, how much does the R go for in GB? Seems like more of an R competitor than a GTI.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
'Beemers', cars and bikes, have never been regarded as cheap, a mate has a BMW road bike (flat twin engine, boxer?) and it is so smooth and well made you just wouldn't believe. But one tends to get what one pays for and if a Beemer is in your price range and features high your wants list, then go for it.....

scasey

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI
'Beemers', cars and bikes, have never been regarded as cheap, a mate has a BMW road bike (flat twin engine, boxer?) and it is so smooth and well made you just wouldn't believe. But one tends to get what one pays for and if a Beemer is in your price range and features high your wants list, then go for it.....
I only mention it in regards to people saying it was competitive with the GTI. I was just curious since we will never get that car in the US anyway, I know much BMWs cost.