GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by Mike79

1. Mike79

Vibration at highway speed since getting new wheels

I had a somewhat similar situation only I had a very slight vibration, only in the steering wheel, only at higher speeds over 73 MPH. It’s so minor that I never pursued it. Might be lug nut tightening order, a defective centering ring, a defective tire, a defective wheel, large insect clinging...
  2. Mike79

LIGHTWEIGHT Wheels

I believe this would put me closer to being a math idiot. Not sure where my brain was. 😜
  3. Mike79

LIGHTWEIGHT Wheels

Good question! I had weighed them with the tire mounted. I found the weight of the tire online at 22 pounds. The total weight was 49.x pounds. So I believe the wheel to be 22.x pounds. I accidentally found d this out when shipping my wheel-tires which was absurdly expensive. $320+ dollars...
  4. Mike79

LIGHTWEIGHT Wheels

The factory 18 inch (Milton) wheels are 10.9 kilograms. That’s 18 inch, which is larger than 17.
  5. Mike79

LIGHTWEIGHT Wheels

I couldn’t find anything to verify or deny the weight. Nor could I find anything solid about their durability. If they’re made of plastic, 13 pounds is very feasible. (I doubt that’s 13 kilograms either which would suggest it’s made out of iron.). If you buy them, please do report back!
  6. Mike79

Bottoming Out after VWR Spring Install

Is trimming bump stops common? I never heard of this until investigating these forums. And I thought bump stops allow travel albeit harsher than any shock absorbers. Meaning they compress without a rocklike jolt…
  7. Mike79

Bottoming Out after VWR Spring Install

Just wanted to chime in… I got the VWR springs with stock shock absorbers. I bottomed put a few times. It’s not loud as much as it’s an unfriendly jolt to the car. But yes jolt does make noise as the impact occurs. Some tips from my experience… I noticed in sports mode it happens less. I...
  8. Mike79

Loud rubbing noise from rear of car when stopped and turning wheel

Mine did this too. I think it stopped though. Yours sounds more intense than mine OR mine has faded to nothing and used to sound like that. My theory is similar...that turning the front wheels "pulls" on the rear wheels and therefore brakes, and new rear brakes on a new car probably make...
  9. Mike79

Which lowering springs should I go with?

This was precisely my goal as well. After doing some homework, I settled on the VWR springs. It does feel just like factory to me. (I am surprised at how the stock ride height is so high. To me the factory ride height should have been lower: where the VWR springs set the ride height.)...
  10. Mike79

Thinking of VWR Springs for MK7 GTI 18"

One side note: if your GTI has the selectable ride mode, I think the shorter springs makes this more noticeable. This is great to know. Stupid question of the day: Aren’t the selectable ride modes adjusting the shock absorbers and some other components like steering feel and such? I only have...
  11. Mike79

18x9 et35

I never considered adding a bit of negative camber.
  12. Mike79

Where to buy Pretoria wheels?

But the 19 inch ones are often almost double that. Isn't it weird that it would cost that much more for 1 extra inch in diameter?
  13. Mike79

18x9 et35

I studied this a lot although I am no expert. With the Golf GTI and Golf R, I suspect that width and offset will cause rubbing as you hit bumps. (The offset of 35 millimeters is rather aggressive as you mentioned.) I think the tire will be maybe a quarter to half and inch outside the wheel...
  14. Mike79

Thinking of VWR Springs for MK7 GTI 18"

Late to the game here but I just got the VMR springs on a 2020 GTI, and there is a slight degradation in ride comfort. This is going to happen anytime you reduce the wheel travel over bumps. As far as performance, I cannot say. I never tried tracking my car at anytime. I feel that the...