GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by gti_loki

1. gti_loki

3D Printed Inlet Duct

I really appreciate that. I think pricing is the most difficult part of it. These are expensive to print so makes for expensive parts.
  2. gti_loki

3D Printed Inlet Duct

All 3 pieces: Duct, intake, cover. There might be a JB1 in there, too.
  3. gti_loki

3D Printed Inlet Duct

Sorry for the delayed response, I’m terrible about getting on here. That is some awesome work! PC generally has a higher Tg so should work just fine. One thing I did to give my intake the best chance at surviving is annealing. It’s been on for ~1000 miles now in this TX summer heat and doing...
  4. gti_loki

3D Printed Inlet Duct

Another test piece:
  5. gti_loki

3D Printed Inlet Duct

$430 for the OEM plus design. It’s a lot of material and a big footprint (for printing). FDM was $600+
  6. gti_loki

3D Printed Inlet Duct

I’m a ...regular with Xometry. T-shirts abound lol. PA6, like PP, exist as filaments, but they’re not commonly used. You’ll notice Xometry offers neither. My printer runs 310C, not the hottest but enough to print PC. Xometry is convenient but not cheap. The full intake is over $400.
  7. gti_loki

3D Printed Inlet Duct

Ah! The tube is 4” at the filter with a nice radius and as gentle a curve into the 3” stock tube as I could make and clear the mounting screw.
  8. gti_loki

3D Printed Inlet Duct

Easiest being relative lol It could be adjusted for injection molding (it would need to be 2 parts) but the initial investment would be quite substantial. But that would produce the most realistic part prices. There’s a reason the 034 carbon fiber unit is $660. Injection molded would probably be...
  9. gti_loki

3D Printed Inlet Duct

Thanks! What do you mean by sizing? The filter is a big 4” inlet, more surface area than the flat filter by 20ish %
  10. gti_loki

3D Printed Inlet Duct

PU resins won’t withstand the heat needed for this. They’re also sort of flexible, even the “rigid” variants. But I like where your head is at!
  11. gti_loki

3D Printed Inlet Duct

As Sprinks said, pa6 (PA is polyamide aka Nylon) is not used in 3D printing, at least not often. The most common are PA11, PA12 and PA12 glass filled. There are a bunch of variants and depending on print technology the mechanical properties vary wildly. For example, the HDT (temperature where...
  12. gti_loki

3D Printed Inlet Duct

How about some hot OEM plus looking action?
  13. gti_loki

3D Printed Inlet Duct

Sweet! I’m a 22 year engineering vet and product design engineer/manager. I am familiar with the research. I’m glad someone is out there putting their tools to work. Personally, just like the inlet duct, I wanted to make something cool, even if the hp gains aren’t there. Bonus, it sounds...
  14. gti_loki

3D Printed Inlet Duct

I’m considering a closure, but it isn’t practical as a single print. My machine has a 12 x 12 build plate and to make a whole enclosed lid/elbow that fits would be a 60-70 hour print. That’s too much time for nothing to go wrong. I also wanted to make sure everything fit and was angled right...
  15. gti_loki

3D Printed Inlet Duct

This is the fit-check piece. Printed in polymaker PolyMax PLA. The heat deflection temp is too low and this will likely get a little soft and deform with high under hood temps. But I drove around with it last night anyway because I’m a child and have 0 patience when it comes to new toys. I...