GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by dawooj

1. dawooj

Hard Brake Pedal

Update: Towed car to a local dealer. They diagnosed a failed brake booster. Thanks, DarkArrow! Anyone know or can find out what the shop manual repair time is to replace a brake booster on a MK7? My dealer is quoting a 7 hr labor time for the job, which seems excessive to me. I was able to...
  2. dawooj

Hard Brake Pedal

That’s what I’m thinking too from googling. Looks like I’ll need a tow to the shop.
  3. dawooj

Hard Brake Pedal

No codes. Cannot get the pedal to drop to the floor. It remains hard to press down. Did a best visual I can of the vacuum lines to the booster, but seem normal.
  4. dawooj

Hard Brake Pedal

Need some help diagnosing a brake issue. Going out to lunch from work today, I started my car up normally and was about to set off when I heard and felt a pop in my brake pedal with my foot still on it. The pedal immediately became very hard and was difficult to press down. Checked the wheels...
  5. dawooj

Anyone switch to 17" wheels for daily driving?

Go for it. I like the ride much better with 17s. Just make sure the new rims will clear the front brakes. I picked up a set of used rims on offerup for cheap. Only have a picture from my test fit: Audi A3 rims (8V0601025S) 17x7.5, ET 43, 5 x 112, Continental ControlContact Sport SRS 225/45/17 91W
  6. dawooj

Bi-Xenon Passenger LED "U" light out

The LED DRL is controlled by this module. It's most likely the case. You can try swapping the modules as ZERO815 recommends to diagnose it before replacing anything. After mine went out, I cleared the code with my OBDeleven and the error msg didn't return even though I drove with the bad module...
  7. dawooj

Bi-Xenon Passenger LED "U" light out

Raising an old but still most recent thread. I had the same issue happen last week when I drove through a lot of standing water during a downpour. This is the second time that this has happened to me - previously, it was fixed by the dealer under warranty. This time, I replaced the DRL LED...
  8. dawooj

Clutchless ignition update: solved (maybe)

My 2 cents: If the intent for this mod is only to reduce wear on the thrust bearing and prevent crank walk, I'd suggest reprogramming it to require pressing the brake pedal to start the car. If you want to use this info for laziness/convenience/remote start, beware that if the car was left in...
  9. dawooj

Road Noise at higher speeds

Since the noise stays with the driver side front despite rotating tires, my guess is the wheel bearing. Happened to me too on my MK6 after an impact like that. Subtle hum/whine noticeable if you listen for it. Get it replaced sooner than later.
  10. dawooj

The first time you fell in love...with a GTI.

I started noticing Golfs/GTIs when I had an opportunity to travel to Europe for work around '09. Manual (diesel) hatchbacks are common there for a reason, and realized the utility and versatility of them. They're considered to be mid-size family cars there and appealed to my "less is more" side...
  11. dawooj

Minor fender bender? check exhaust hangers

Like the title states, check your exhaust hangers if you were in any minor accidents. I got rear ended on my way to work this morning. :( I'm fine, and there was only minor damage to my bumper, but when I checked underneath the car later at home, the hangers where the down pipe and exhaust pipe...
  12. dawooj

Correct DRL bulb for GTI w/ Bi-Xenons?

I have a 2017 GTI Sport. It has the Bi-Xenons. One of the outer 'U' DRLs went out on the drive to work this morning. An error came up on the dash, but it cleared the next time I started the car and I didn't get a chance to write down/take a pic of the exact msg. I tried searching for the bulb...