GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

'Cheap' 9.2" Screen Upgrade for MIB2 Cars - Hacked Chinese Delphi Units

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Not sure why they list them as incompatible. I used them to remove my Mk7.5 GTI's original Dephi MIB2 (MST2) and 8" display and have used them with the Harman MIB2 (MHI2) and 9.2" display. Here's some pictures of them being used in a Harman unit and what they look like.

IMG_5210.jpg

IMG_5211.jpg

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
As far as a pin tool, I am pretty sure I used a set of small picks (straight, angled, etc.) to add or remove pins from various blocks in the Quadlock following a mr-fix video. Not sure how relevant my experience is because the tool might different depending on where you are adding or removing pins. Maybe someone else with more experience on that front will chime in.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
I don’t mean to derail this thread but has anyone seen or had any experience with this? https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805781849275.html

it seems to be a MIB2 High unit from China and the software version I see on the label lines up with the software MHI2_CN_VW48X_P1102. It’s less than $600 for a MIB2 High so naturally I am very interested 🔍

from my understanding though, you can’t just load up NAR maps on a unit from a different region, can you? does anyone know about converting this one from CN software to US or some workaround? if it isn’t possible I’ll just go with the MIB2 Standard but it would be amazing to get those 2023/2024 maps on it.

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I don’t mean to derail this thread but has anyone seen or had any experience with this? https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805781849275.html

it seems to be a MIB2 High unit from China and the software version I see on the label lines up with the software MHI2_CN_VW48X_P1102. It’s less than $600 for a MIB2 High so naturally I am very interested 🔍

from my understanding though, you can’t just load up NAR maps on a unit from a different region, can you? does anyone know about converting this one from CN software to US or some workaround? if it isn’t possible I’ll just go with the MIB2 Standard but it would be amazing to get those 2023/2024 maps on it.
Weird that they insist on hiding the labels.

It's generally not a great (or straightforward) experience trying to mismatch maps for one region with a unit that has a different region's software. Conversion would likely be a fairly involved process and I am not sure if there is a wealth of knowledge on converting these units to US/NAR software (someone's probably done it for EU/ER software). It was quite an experience for me just to convert a NAR MHI2 unit from Audi to VW software... almost no resources deal with converting to US software. Even if it was converted, it is missing the Sirius/XM module so it wouldn't be quite equivalent to a NAR MHI2 unit, but that might not matter to you or others.

If you do try it, would be super curious to hear how it goes! Or if you don't, there are NAR MHI2 converted units out there 😉

Last edited:

BlitzAce

Followed this guide and purchased the exact units, I received MIB2 STD with part no 3GD035866A and the 9.2" screen 5G6919606D which is apparently China made, thus cheaper. Also bundled a silver brushed 9.2" trim to go with it (which is I found that while fits almost perfectly, doesn't exactly match the original silver brushed trim my car originally had, more like slight lighter shade). I also got the USB socket for Android Auto. And since I got it during the 11.11 singles sale, it only costs me around $420 for everything including shipping! (though the MIB unit got stuck in my local customs office, and had to pay roughly 10% for clearance)

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-09 at 10.52.38 AM (7).jpeg

Well packed. The screen inside is actually has several layers of plastic wrap

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-09 at 10.52.38 AM (5).jpeg

There's another German-made part no that is more expensive, but heck.. even IPhones are made in China, righhht?

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-09 at 10.52.38 AM (6).jpeg

The usb and aux in I also replaced, as while I do not use Carplay, I would like to use Android Auto and I am unsure if the stock socket would work. Yeah I've read pages and pages of retrofit guides and planned this for roughly 5 years, but stilllll this thing's cheap, and easy enough to replace. (yes now AA works)

I got everything else in roughly 2 weeks, except the MIB, which is mostly due to customs clearance, took a month. Since I work at a small dealer.. I took the liberty of borrowing some small tools like the radio release keys, but still ended up breaking some tabs on the original vent center trim lol. Installation took me roughly.. 3 hours plus, since I'm not exactly an expert, and the center trim got my head scratching, despite manual print outs my Service Advisor.

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-09 at 10.52.38 AM (8).jpeg

Years and years of dust behind. Vehicle has served me faithfully over the years, but some things need.. updating

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-09 at 10.52.38 AM (4).jpeg

Yep needs trimming. Que my trusty titanium 3M cutter (almost cut my thumb off)

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-09 at 10.52.38 AM (1).jpeg

There ya go. Turns on fine with the MIB2 headunit, but will not do so on my stock MIB1. But works well. Took my time, put some felt tape on contact places to prevent rattle and son on..

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-09 at 10.52.38 AM.jpeg

With the trim on. Snaps back on flawlessly, almost like its.. genuine trim.

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-09 at 10.52.37 AM (1).jpeg

Yep a lighter shade of color and slighty different.. pattern? Not really noticeable unless you eyeball it (and I am slightly color blind..) but my wife SURE does!

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-09 at 10.52.37 AM.jpeg

Some pattern imperfection. Oh well... it's roughly 1/4th price if I order it thru my Parts department

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-09 at 10.52.37 AM (3).jpeg

It shows.. I don't know, is that.. a Tayron? Doesn't look like a Tiguan..

BlitzAce

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-09 at 10.52.37 AM (5).jpeg

Had my service guy friend poke around in ODIS.. and changed a few values (he's not exactly sure either, had to guess on what I have gathered over the years)

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-09 at 11.14.38 AM (1).jpeg

Okay now it's a Golf! Yeah it's a 7.5 not my 2014, but.. close enough.

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-09 at 11.14.38 AM.jpeg

Oh hey. My 1.4 has no business running around showing this, but.. its there.

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-09 at 10.52.37 AM (6).jpeg

Okay, looks good, works well enough. I actually was planning to get the 8" matte screen version, but couldn't find the appropriate RHD trim in Aliexpress, and my Parts guy quotes like $350 for it, so, no, while I can bundle the whole thing just slightly more. I was thinking the 8" with the knobs would fit the esthetic more, and I don't really like the glass screen due to how finger-printy magnets they are (and prone to child accidents... I have 3). And well, knobs!

But it's done, and I honestly it looks.. quite good, other than the slight trim color mismatch (excuse my kilt) It's faster, looks sharper, and sounds a tad better.. I think - I have the Helix plug and play system just lounging with my Parts guy pending installation (and $$...), but I do feel like there's already some improvement here. And it plays Flacs now! And oh, Tidal Hi-Res through AA!

For sure, I like MIB2 over 3 - I've seen how the 3 is riddled with bugs, despite VW attempt to patch em over time, and the limitation of unable to load your own radio logo station. This is good enough - it kinda updates my ol reliable '14, good for a couple more years of use. I'm tempted.. to buy a cheapo GPS antenn and plug it in and load a local map and see if it works, currently the NAV doesn't work, but I didn't need it, I rarely travel these days, and there's AA Google Maps if I do need to use Nav. But.. if it works, it'll be nice, yea?

I skipped documentation at some steps and parts.. but if there's any questions, please do! While I'm a noob here lol, I've been using my ol reliable since '14, and I do work at a dealer, despite a small one, and have been lurking here for years! Many, many thanks to those that provided guides and so on over the years, too many for me to actually quote. But I hope this can help and guide others from here on.

Blade3562

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
None
I ordered mine before seeing this thread. It finally showed up today! The trim must have shipped separately. I copied the adaption channels from my original MIB2 unit via VCDS and everything seems to be working properly. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a Mk7 wagon available in the car screens. Maybe @Cuzoe knows of a work around? I would love to get the DVD player working for videos and get the nav working, but for now Waze and CarPlay works great!
IMG_4932.jpeg

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I ordered mine before seeing this thread. It finally showed up today! The trim must have shipped separately. I copied the adaption channels from my original MIB2 unit via VCDS and everything seems to be working properly. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a Mk7 wagon available in the car screens. Maybe @Cuzoe knows of a work around? I would love to get the DVD player working for videos and get the nav working, but for now Waze and CarPlay works great!
View attachment 296398

I couldn't find a way to get the VW nav to work, and as far as I'm aware, there isn't. Report back if you do find a way, while it doesn't matter to me too much since I use Waze/Google Maps anyway, it would be nice to have.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@Blade3562 The vehicle types available are based on the firmware of the unit, and gets coded in Bytes 0-2 (which you probably already know). The attached picture is snipped from the thorough but not recently updated XaGiCo PDF. You will be 02 for the Brand (byte 0) and likely 73 for car type (byte 1) but you'll have to experiment with the last byte to see what is your firmware.

I had firmware on (one of my) MIB 2s that had the Golf, Atlas and maybe Arteon. Then another firmware had Golf, Passat and Tiguan. My MIB 2.5 firmware does not include any pre-facelift Golf depictions, as expected. I ultimately settled on a facelift standard (hatch, non-GTI) Golf depiction that has the Mk7.5 LED tails. That was as close as I could get to my actual car.

So it is possible there is no GSW depiction in your firmware, but you'll have to see what the unit accepts. Good thing is you can't break anything by messing with that coding. The unit may not accept some values. Or it may give you a "default" Golf if nothing in the firmware matches what you've entered.

Attachments

• Car Image.png
    Car Image.png
    1 MB · Views: 68

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT

ended up converting my own Audi unit to a VW Discover Pro 😉🪄

8V1035880E became a 5NA035026C. super happy with it, everything works - bluetooth, nav, performance monitor, gestures, sound, etc thanks to More Incredible Bash. if anyone has any questions please don’t hesitate.

Last edited:

Blade3562

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
None
My gray trim piece finally arrived today. It definitely could be better, but it fits like you'd expect $20 trim to fit.
IMG_5330.jpeg

You can see most of the flaws in this picture. They are minor, but I just want to point them out. The color is a little bit darker, the left edge where it meets the gauge cluster trim is contoured slightly wrong, the left corner is shaped slightly wrong causing it to make contact with the dash, and the opening for the vent trim is wonky with some gaps and tight spots. I fiddled with the vent trim ring fitment for over an hour then finally gave up. The design/print below the screen is also not square, but that is hard to get a picture of. When I finally tackle the digital cockpit I may switch all my trim, but for now this works!
IMG_5332.jpeg

The unit itself works well, and for the price it's hard to beat. I have a wifi icon in the status area of my display I cannot figure out how to disable. (Still playing around in VCDS.) As Cuzoe point out this unit unfortunately does not have a wagon body style to enable. One other thing to note at night this screen is freaking bright. I find myself selecting "display off in 10s" frequently at night.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
The switch to digital dash "forced" me to go black trim all the way around. I initially (and poorly) vinyl wrapped the digital dash trim to "match" the brushed silver. Ordered 10+ brushed silver vinyls from Amazon and used the one that was closest, but still wasn't a perfect match. Looked good from afar and far from good, haha.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Looks good and nice write up.

PaytonJordan

Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
Hey, I'm having trouble getting any sound after I installed this. I have a 2015 with fender audio, did all the coding changes with obd11 and absolutely no sound. Anyone have any ideas? The backup cam and drive mode work fine