GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Continental ExtremeContact Sport 02 Tires

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I am on a fresh set of these tires. Bought right before my clutch went out, so I am only just now putting miles on them. My previous tires were the original ECS and were the first tires that would actually hook a WOT pull from 2nd. I put about 37k miles on them. Before that I was on Indy's, then Pilots.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
I am on a fresh set of these tires. Bought right before my clutch went out, so I am only just now putting miles on them. My previous tires were the original ECS and were the first tires that would actually hook a WOT pull from 2nd. I put about 37k miles on them. Before that I was on Indy's, then Pilots.

Wow 37k mi, thats impressive... So you are on the Pilot Sport 4S now? How do they compare on your opinion? How is the tread wearing down? Do you think it will last as much as your old original ECS did?

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Wow 37k mi, thats impressive... So you are on the Pilot Sport 4S now? How do they compare on your opinion? How is the tread wearing down? Do you think it will last as much as your old original ECS did?
No, I am on ECS Sport 02, with about 200 miles on them. The Pilots I did have went 24k and wore fairly well, just fast. They were better in the rain, but not better in the dry compared to the ECS. They could never hold a 2nd gear WOT pull, even with TCS on, and could almost hold a 3rd gear pull. It was usually several seconds of the tires audibly complaining, where the ECS tires just hooked and went.

MADPWR

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
This is definitely impressive that the Continental ExtremeContact Sport Gen 1 lasted you 37,000 miles. I never would have guessed that tire would have lasted so long. I was debating between that tire and Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S back when I ordered my tires a few years ago. If memory serves, at the time TireRack gave dry traction edge to the Michelin and wet traction edge to the Continental. I know you said you were getting better dry traction with the Continental over the Michelin. I would have emphasized dry over wet traction, which is the only reason why I think at the time TireRack had the Michelin rated higher, but I don't fully recall from 3.5 years ago.

I saw the one post saying it will be years before a general market (aka aftermarket) version of the Michelin Pilot Sport S 5 comes out. I really hope that is not the case. That would be disappointing. I will say I definitely miss driving on my Pilot Sport 4 S tires this past month that I have tossed my old all seasons on. I really forgot how rough riding these Continental all season tires are. They really take a lot out of my driving experience. So, I have a lot of interest that TireRack is stating the new Continental ExremeContact Sport 02 rides more comfortably than even the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S does. Without too much exaggeration, it really feels like my Continental all seasons feel like I am just driving on the rim without a tire. I know someone with an Audi S3 who had the OEM Pirelli P Zero (PZ4) summer tires, and those were very nice tires too. I was in the car a few times and drove it once. I didn't go crazy in it, but the dry traction was very good. It seemed on par with the Michelin. I think the Pirelli may have been slightly more comfortable too but close. I wouldn't have a hard time recommending that Pirelli P Zero (PZ4) tire either. I don't know exactly which version of PZ4 they had that came new with the car, but I have to imagine it is the Audi A01 or Audi R02 version. Looking around in forums, some people say the R02 replaced the R01, but I don't know if that is accurate or not. I did notice the R02 is a 220 treadwear rating vs the 280 of the A01 version. I think I like at the PZ4 3.5 years ago too, but I don't recall if it said R01 or R02 at the time when talking to TireRack. I think at the time TireRack said the R02 was designated for the Audi RS3. Speaking of, it is unfortunate that sometimes it is so difficult to get accurate information. I know when I contact Michelin support they don't even have people who know what tires are answering the phones, so it is very annoying.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
That's one of the problems with the P Zeros, there is so many models (OE and Aftermarket) that you dont even know whats going on... but one thing is for sure, they dont last long. See the Tire Rack reviews on the various models, that's the number one complaint, whether it be the 220 or the 280 treadwear rating. (Thas also the main complaint of most performance Bridgestone tires as well...)

For example, Pirelli gives the All Season Plus tires I'm on right now a treadwear rating of 500 (w/ 50k mi warranty), I am just past 21k mi on them and I don't think they are making it that far past 25k..... I knew it couldnt be, because since the day I mounted them they felt really sticky, pretty much like to OE Potenzas…. 500 rating is like a grand touring tire..... The P Zero AS+ is even more summer biased than the Conti DWS, I got them because of that, the wear rating & TR testing rolling resistance. I lived in Delaware, I expected maybe half a dozen snow days, so snow performance was secondary....

You cant really compare treadwear ratings between manufactures as they all have their own formula.... but between Pirellis, if you consider that 500 rating from my tire, expect 15-20k mi from the 220/280 rated P Zeros.... which is about right if you look at TR reviews....

edit: Also what @EpicTech noted about the dry/wet handing makes sense, Conti themselves rate their EC 02 on par with the PS4S in the dry, but slightly below in wet performance....

1700902304375.png

Last edited:

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
This is definitely impressive that the Continental ExtremeContact Sport Gen 1 lasted you 37,000 miles. I never would have guessed that tire would have lasted so long. I was debating between that tire and Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S back when I ordered my tires a few years ago. If memory serves, at the time TireRack gave dry traction edge to the Michelin and wet traction edge to the Continental. I know you said you were getting better dry traction with the Continental over the Michelin. I would have emphasized dry over wet traction, which is the only reason why I think at the time TireRack had the Michelin rated higher, but I don't fully recall from 3.5 years ago.

I saw the one post saying it will be years before a general market (aka aftermarket) version of the Michelin Pilot Sport S 5 comes out. I really hope that is not the case. That would be disappointing. I will say I definitely miss driving on my Pilot Sport 4 S tires this past month that I have tossed my old all seasons on. I really forgot how rough riding these Continental all season tires are. They really take a lot out of my driving experience. So, I have a lot of interest that TireRack is stating the new Continental ExremeContact Sport 02 rides more comfortably than even the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S does. Without too much exaggeration, it really feels like my Continental all seasons feel like I am just driving on the rim without a tire. I know someone with an Audi S3 who had the OEM Pirelli P Zero (PZ4) summer tires, and those were very nice tires too. I was in the car a few times and drove it once. I didn't go crazy in it, but the dry traction was very good. It seemed on par with the Michelin. I think the Pirelli may have been slightly more comfortable too but close. I wouldn't have a hard time recommending that Pirelli P Zero (PZ4) tire either. I don't know exactly which version of PZ4 they had that came new with the car, but I have to imagine it is the Audi A01 or Audi R02 version. Looking around in forums, some people say the R02 replaced the R01, but I don't know if that is accurate or not. I did notice the R02 is a 220 treadwear rating vs the 280 of the A01 version. I think I like at the PZ4 3.5 years ago too, but I don't recall if it said R01 or R02 at the time when talking to TireRack. I think at the time TireRack said the R02 was designated for the Audi RS3. Speaking of, it is unfortunate that sometimes it is so difficult to get accurate information. I know when I contact Michelin support they don't even have people who know what tires are answering the phones, so it is very annoying.
To be fair the roads in Texas are pretty good and I monitor tire pressure and check alignment often.

MADPWR

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
That's all good information. It's interesting that the Michelin has slightly higher performance in the wet. I'm trying to remember why I went with the Michelins over the Continentals at the time. I know I was between the two. I have a feeling come this spring I will be going with the new Continental ExtremeContact Sport 02, unless by some miracle the new Michelin Pilot Sport S 5 is out by then (which seems extremely unlikely). I will miss having that super square Michelin tire that not only looks great but offers a good rim protector band. However, the thought of an approximately equal give/take summer performance tire with even more comfort and most likely a longer lifespan at a lower dollar amount is very appealing.

Also, I am right there with you about tire pressures. I usually check them weekly, and the longest is two weeks between checking. I love the Astro 3018 digital tire pressure gauge/inflator that I bought a few years back. It was the most accurate digital one that I could find at the time, and it reads to a tenth of a pound. If there exists one that is even more accurate, I would buy that one too. It's so nice to be able to quickly and accurate adjust air pressure up and down without having to jump back and forth between just an inflator and a gauge. I do need to get my alignment done though. The dealership last month told me I have front toe out. I think I might have a tad bit of front negative camber too since my inside edge is more worn than my outside edge, and I corner aggressively.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Michelins 100% if you live in a wet climate. I make my mom by Michelin's. For performance cars and in good climate, the Conti's all day because I found they just do grip better. I have not tried Michelin "Cup" models but a buddy in a Golf R runs them and swears by them. That being said I can still hang with him through the twisties and it pisses him off lol.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Found a Tire Rack test between the PS4S and the EC02 (and the Bridgestone Potenzas)

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=317

One distinction with the Tire Reviews' guy youtube review that I posted earlier, is that he rated the two with similar levels of comfort/noise, one more compliant in smaller imperfections, while the other handled bigger bumps better, then one handled noise in concrete better vs asphalt.... On the other hand, the "fleet" of test drivers at TR rated the Contis consistently higher in ride quality and noise.

The other parts of the review, dry v. wet performance was as expected..... With the contis doing better in dry and the Michelins better in the wet.....

One parameter that hasn't been tested with the EC02 is the rolling resistance, but going by the results of the tirereviews.com UHP and Performance tire tests, the Michelins always have lower resistance than their Conti counterpart (the sport contact or premium contacts).... Honestly the least of my worries as im doing so much city driving, it wouldnt even matter...

Im leaning towards the EC 02 as my next tire now.... seems in treadwear and comfort it comes up on top, and dry performance too... at a much better price.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
That's one of the problems with the P Zeros, there is so many models (OE and Aftermarket) that you dont even know whats going on... but one thing is for sure, they dont last long. See the Tire Rack reviews on the various models, that's the number one complaint, whether it be the 220 or the 280 treadwear rating. (Thas also the main complaint of most performance Bridgestone tires as well...)

For example, Pirelli gives the All Season Plus tires I'm on right now a treadwear rating of 500 (w/ 50k mi warranty), I am just past 21k mi on them and I don't think they are making it that far past 25k..... I knew it couldnt be, because since the day I mounted them they felt really sticky, pretty much like to OE Potenzas…. 500 rating is like a grand touring tire..... The P Zero AS+ is even more summer biased than the Conti DWS, I got them because of that, the wear rating & TR testing rolling resistance. I lived in Delaware, I expected maybe half a dozen snow days, so snow performance was secondary....

You cant really compare treadwear ratings between manufactures as they all have their own formula.... but between Pirellis, if you consider that 500 rating from my tire, expect 15-20k mi from the 220/280 rated P Zeros.... which is about right if you look at TR reviews....

edit: Also what @EpicTech noted about the dry/wet handing makes sense, Conti themselves rate their EC 02 on par with the PS4S in the dry, but slightly below in wet performance....

View attachment 295614
I’ve gotten a decent 25k miles out of 220tw PZero . That’s even including a track day and a couple autox. Key is rotation. They’re old tech but they’ve served me well.

MADPWR

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I rotate my tires every time I switch for the season, or seasons, since sometimes I bounce between summer, all-season, and winter tires. The summers are probably on 6-7 months, the all-seasons 1-2 months, the winters 4-5 months. I test the tread depth on the set before I put them on, and I put the ones with the most amount of tread (difference between front and rear tread depth is minimal) to keep them as even wearing as possible. And I still am only getting the mileage I am getting out of them. But again, to be fair, I drive like the world is an autocross track.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
These will be what I replace my worn out ECSs on my summer wheel set with. Have worked well. Quiet. Nice ride. Great grip. I got about 24K mi out of them and they are at/beyond the wear bars.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
hmmm, you must drive hard @tigeo !

@EpicTech got 37k out of his original ECS... 24k is still decent, usually what what you get out of the PS4S

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion

MADPWR

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Come to think of it, I don't think I have ever had a set of summer performance tires on any of my cars last past 24,000 miles.

Good to know there is so much positive feedback on the original ExtremeContact Sport. It makes the 02 version sound even more interesting. I'm still surprised though by how hard riding the Continental ExtremContact DWS 06 all-season tires are though, but that's because everyday this past month that I have been driving on them during this transition weather it has been making me miss my summer tires and winter tires, since both of them ride so much better. Also, my all-seasons feel like driving on glass at this point on any sub 45F degree day (dry or wet). The car just slides around every turn with just medium to low-medium throttle. I am going to be very happy if those Continental ExtremeContact Sport 02 tires have comparable grip to the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S and have even more comfort, and I will be even happier if they have even greater dry grip on top of it, LOL.

@EpicTech when you say that the Continental ExtremeContact Sport 02 are outperforming the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S in the dry for you, are you referring to just straight line acceleration traction or cornering as well? Unless I missed it, I only noticed you going into detail about the straight line acceleration traction.