GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Back of the Dragon (VA) Dec. 3 2020

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
Ok team. My first question for you. Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway, are these enthusiastic drives or just pretty views? Of the two, which is more exciting to drive? How long will each drive take?
Ill be leaving Leesburg early Monday morning 7/12, heading to Lake Norman on leg 1 of my cross country drive. Looks like I have time for 1 but not both.
thx Rick

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Ok team. My first question for you. Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway, are these enthusiastic drives or just pretty views? Of the two, which is more exciting to drive? How long will each drive take?
Ill be leaving Leesburg early Monday morning 7/12, heading to Lake Norman on leg 1 of my cross country drive. Looks like I have time for 1 but not both.
thx Rick
The BRP is not a spirited driving road... The speed limit is 35 most of the way and it's patrolled regularly by park rangers. The views however are fantastic.

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
Ok road trip question. Best fun route from Blowing Rock NC to Asheville. I’ll be driving south from Tazewell after doing the Marion run.
thx Rick

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Ok road trip question. Best fun route from Blowing Rock NC to Asheville. I’ll be driving south from Tazewell after doing the Marion run.
thx Rick
BRP all the way down from Blowing Rock to Asheville with a lap around RT 226A in Little Switzerland is what I would do.

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
I’ve been using motorcycle roads. Thx for the pro tip

paNX2K&SE-R

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4Mo
thx Rick

Take 221 from BR to Linville, then 181 into Newland, then take 194 to 19E. Follow 19E until you cross into TN and then grab 143 which turns into 261 when you cross back into NC. When you hit Bakersville take 226 East and then head South on 226A for a short transit to 80 South. When you hit 19E take that East to Burnsville and then jump on 197 South. Follow 197 until you hit Interstate 26. I26 South will take you right down to Asheville.

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
Someone should really pick some dates for this. I think it would be a blast if we all rented out a hotel/motel and did a 2 day thing.
I’ll be 7/12 to Asheville and 7/13 to the dragon/Nashville.

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
Take 221 from BR to Linville, then 181 into Newland, then take 194 to 19E. Follow 19E until you cross into TN and then grab 143 which turns into 261 when you cross back into NC. When you hit Bakersville take 226 East and then head South on 226A for a short transit to 80 South. When you hit 19E take that East to Burnsville and then jump on 197 South. Follow 197 until you hit Interstate 26. I26 South will take you right down to Asheville.
This looks awesome. Thank you.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I use Curvature to find fun routes.
Neat. Looks like I have one moderately curvy, mile long, 25 mph road near me XD (I'm around the black x)
curvyroads.PNG

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
I’m going to keep an eye on this for sure. We’re heading to burnsville, up 80, tomorrow for vacation. The odyssey doesn’t hug the turn quite as well as the gti though😂.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Planning another Mountain Road Drive, this time in NC ***December 7th 2023***

Leaving Clover, SC around 7~8am (secondary meet up in Gastonia, NC)

Staging in Marion, NC approximately 10am then moving onto the good stuff near that area.

Lunch will be at Hillman Beer in Old Fort, NC.

I can share the route details with whoever’s attending, but after several trips to the area I can confirm it rivals the two Dragons we’ve been to before!

Last edited:

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Planning another Mountain Road Drive, this time in NC.

Leaving Clover, SC around 7~8am (secondary meet up in Gastonia, NC)

Staging in Marion, NC approximately 10am then moving onto the good stuff near that area.

Lunch will be at Hillman Beer in Old Fort, NC.

I can share the route details with whoever’s attending, but after several trips to the area I can confirm it rivals the two Dragons we’ve been to before!
Got a date?