GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Review: APR SCU (DSC Controller)

yakboyslim

Go Kart Champion
That's a bummer. You are the first person with a 3Q0 to actually look. Others preferred to plug their ears and pretend all was fine.

So just know that comfort and individual will actually pick normal shocks, regardless of what you select. Honestly, besides the false advertising from DSC/APR claiming 3 modes that never bothered me personally.

Might also want to look at Facebook group, looks like my issues with AFS headlight errors etc, were not exclusive to me. At least 4 people all have the problem, with everyone being told by APR it was the first they've seen it. Same story DSC gave me. Looks like APR is warranty replacing them, with new units doing it to (because they aren't broke, it's just how it works)

It's a nice controller, it's a terrible CAN module.

2019 Golf R

Passed Driver's Ed
That's a bummer. You are the first person with a 3Q0 to actually look. Others preferred to plug their ears and pretend all was fine.

So just know that comfort and individual will actually pick normal shocks, regardless of what you select. Honestly, besides the false advertising from DSC/APR claiming 3 modes that never bothered me personally.

Might also want to look at Facebook group, looks like my issues with AFS headlight errors etc, were not exclusive to me. At least 4 people all have the problem, with everyone being told by APR it was the first they've seen it. Same story DSC gave me. Looks like APR is warranty replacing them, with new units doing it to (because they aren't broke, it's just how it works)

It's a nice controller, it's a terrible CAN module.
Damn, sorry to hear that about your AFS issues. So far it seems my codes are normal for the ShopDAP euro tails and for this controller (after consulting with EQT forum). Next step is to install the APR software and zero out the accel tables. Need a PC.

Turn-In with the controller is a large improvement over stock...as is ride quality. Will keep this controller going for the meantime.

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Damn, sorry to hear that about your AFS issues. So far it seems my codes are normal for the ShopDAP euro tails and for this controller (after consulting with EQT forum). Next step is to install the APR software and zero out the accel tables. Need a PC.

Turn-In with the controller is a large improvement over stock...as is ride quality. Will keep this controller going for the meantime.
I would suspect you can tune a Normal mode that's better than factory comfort/normal (picking the direction you want to lean) and a Sport mode that's better than factory Sport.

But that still means you aren't getting what you paid for. And if you additionally add AFS or other errors it's a strong no for me.

With 3Q0 gateway (depending on the SW version) you could probably do the DCC slider. Not comparable to tuning yourself but makes me feel good, haha. I rarely drive in anything other than Comfort+ 🤣.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I’d like to know how this device works, or not, with Bilstein B6 DCC shocks.
The default tuning (with it's flaws, which are documented in this thread) is intended for factory dampers. It probably works okay with B4 Damptronics as well since they are intended as factory replacements.

You may/may not like how that tuning works with B6 Damptronics, keeping in mind it's not tuned for them. But then you can adjust the tuning of course.

The CAN bus issues will be no different, as that is a DSC/APR module problem and does not have to do with the shocks chosen.

Klrider44

Go Kart Champion
The default tuning (with it's flaws, which are documented in this thread) is intended for factory dampers. It probably works okay with B4 Damptronics as well since they are intended as factory replacements.

You may/may not like how that tuning works with B6 Damptronics, keeping in mind it's not tuned for them. But then you can adjust the tuning of course.

The CAN bus issues will be no different, as that is a DSC/APR module problem and does not have to do with the shocks chosen.
I have the B6’s, the base map is extremely too stiff and unruly for the street. It is very flat in the corners though I will say. I will be trying a few more adjustments to see if I can get it right with the B6’s. I recently popped the OEM controller back in to refresh my memory. Car rides way better with the OEM controller and the modes are much more distinctive, which I like.

I will have more impressions when I make some adjustments this weekend. I am going to leave the shock calibration table as is. I previously had lowered the values a bit because I had heard that the bilsteins operated at a different mA range than the OEM dampers, but I spoke with DSC yesterday and they said the bilsteins operate at the same mA than OEM. So I will be zeroing out the velocity and acceleration table and see how things are from there.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@HuntR You got it straight from the @Klrider44's mouth there!

As far as the mA range I would hope (I guess) that the B6's (and B4s, B16s and KW DDC Coil overs too) would use the same range as they all claim compatibility with the factory DCC controller.

Klrider44

Go Kart Champion
Also I emailed bilstein directly a while back asking what mA range the B6’s operate at since I was getting some discrepancies from somewhat reliable sources and this is what they said.

Attachments

• IMG_0195.png
    IMG_0195.png
    998.1 KB · Views: 55

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
That makes sense to me. I think the specified range output of the factory DCC controller is in the Self Study Program. The DCC module doesn't care what's connected on the end though. It's not changing it's output. Which means anybody (Bilstein, KW, etc.) making something they call compatible has to use that input range.

What they (Bilstein, etc.) do with that input is their business and I would not expect them to share it. I suspect what they were really telling you in that email... "The response of our dampers to the input from VW's system is proprietary information."

Of course you now have the ability to tune. You are effectively tuning for the output of the APR/DSC module. The range of that output is (or should be) static. It's what you do (via tuning) within that static range that determines if your car rides the way you want. Based on the description the B6's are going to be stiffer (for all given inputs of the static range). But some of the things in the stock APR/DSC map may have an exaggerated impact given that increase in base stiffness.

HuntR

Go Kart Newbie
I have the B6’s, the base map is extremely too stiff and unruly for the street. It is very flat in the corners though I will say. I will be trying a few more adjustments to see if I can get it right with the B6’s. I recently popped the OEM controller back in to refresh my memory. Car rides way better with the OEM controller and the modes are much more distinctive, which I like.

I will have more impressions when I make some adjustments this weekend. I am going to leave the shock calibration table as is. I previously had lowered the values a bit because I had heard that the bilsteins operated at a different mA range than the OEM dampers, but I spoke with DSC yesterday and they said the bilsteins operate at the same mA than OEM. So I will be zeroing out the velocity and acceleration table and see how things are from there.
Thanks for the info. Are you on stock springs? I am having a hard time deciding whether to keep my Eibach springs on or revert back to stock springs when I install the B6 DCC shocks soon. I would probably prefer stock ride-height for our bumpy roads and curb clearance etc, but the Eibachs did reduce the floaty feeling of stock DCC/stock springs I was experiencing. "Very flat in corners"-yes that is what this car needs.

G4ndalf

Car(s)
MK5 GTI & MK 7.5R
Yeah, gateway stuff is beyond my knowledge, and when it started giving me AFS headlight errors I was out. To be fair to DSC that problem only came up after I installed my aftermarket headunit, but the OEM DCC controller doesn't have the same problems, so I gave up on the DSC. It's cool for what it does, but I'm convinced that the fact that it doesn't communicate on CAN will always cause problems. I'm also leaning more towards a dedicated track build so coilovers make more sense for me anyway.
I'm the one who bought your DSC controller, and the issues persist. I think I sent you a video clip. I constantly get the AFR error and a suspension fault icon on the dash. At first, it was intermittent. I contacted DSC, and they told me to log and send it to them. I got fed up and put the OEM unit back in today. My car is currently stock. I need to get a Windows-based laptop to log in, as I borrowed from friends before. Mind you, the OEM controller with my VWR springs feels great. It also seems as though ride height has reset itself as it's not as bouncy anymore.

Klrider44

Go Kart Champion
I'm the one who bought your DSC controller, and the issues persist. I think I sent you a video clip. I constantly get the AFR error and a suspension fault icon on the dash. At first, it was intermittent. I contacted DSC, and they told me to log and send it to them. I got fed up and put the OEM unit back in today. My car is currently stock. I need to get a Windows-based laptop to log in, as I borrowed from friends before. Mind you, the OEM controller with my VWR springs feels great. It also seems as though ride height has reset itself as it's not as bouncy anymore.
I wonder if those issues are tied to that specific controller? I never had any errors with my DSC controller and I have flashed dozens of files and reset the ride height multiple times.