GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 1 - EQT - Autocross and the right plugs

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
I know this has sort of been beat to death... Sorry

I have a Cobb AP on the way thanks to a fellow forum member. Thank you!
I've seen folks mention running the Ruths and EQT recommends non-projected tip plugs - I'm sure everyone know which at this point, but just in case -

NGK R7438-8 (NGK #: 4905)
Denso IKH01-24 (Denso #: 5749)

I was perfectly fine to get either of the two above. Both seem fine based on reviews I could find. However I'm also seeing that folks are running stock plugs just gapped to .024
I do and will continue to be doing Autocross starting in May. My local group currently has about 14 events, which I intend to do all of, and there is a good chance I will travel to other local-ish events Columbus-> Cincy or ->Xenia. So there may be several consecutive weekends of running the car sort of hard. It's definitely not track conditions, but I may have a co-driver for some events as well.
If I could save $160 on plugs that would be nice. But I also don't want to risk damaging anything over it either.

Should I be sticking with stock plugs or playing it safe with the plugs from above.
- If either of the ones listed. Do these wear faster/ what replacement schedule would I be looking at?

Thank you

starsmith

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Urano Grey GTI
Reading between the lines, it really seems like EQT's recommendation is the "cover your ass" recommendation after their facebook group started obsessing about spark plugs. There were incidents where ground straps were cracking off in the cylinder, generally RS7 plugs, and various unverified anecdotes where this or that spark plug made all of somebody's knock go away.

Are the non-projected racing plugs the choice that is the least likely to give you problems when you're thrashing your car at high boost over and over? Possibly. Is a colder heat rating optimal for combustion under normal driving conditions? No. Is it economical to run an expensive racing plug with a short service interval on your daily? Also no. It's all tradeoffs that each owner must weigh. The most important thing is to inspect your plugs every now and then, if you gap em gap em correctly, and probably do steer clear of the RS7 plugs.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Also keep in mind counterfeit NGK "RS7s" are a thing.

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
Yikes. Really?

After everything mentioned above I think I’ll stick with the stock plugs gapped down to .024. I have a feeler gauge and the proper adjustment tool. I did replace the plugs in the spring but they’re inexpensive enough for me to say that doing them again and making sure I’m aware of the ground strap is easy enough.

tigeo

Autocross Champion

GTIguy87

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
I have EQT Stage 1, 93 octane tune, stock plugs gapped down to 0.024". No issues after about 5k miles so far.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I'm convinced that the RS7 plugs are only an "issue" because they're much more common. They're cheap and "OEM." I think people tend to screw up the gap, bending the strap too much, fatiguing it to the point of failure. The RS3 uses the same plugs and we don't hear about those failing nearly as often (because they're less common, those owners are either not touching them, or they're more likely to have a pro handle their mechanical needs).
Having used nearly all of the plugs besides brisks and non-projected NGK, I'll say that the NGK 91006 has been the most headache-free plug I've tried.

And goes without saying, but buy your plugs from the dealer if you can.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I
I'm convinced that the RS7 plugs are only an "issue" because they're much more common. They're cheap and "OEM." I think people tend to screw up the gap, bending the strap too much, fatiguing it to the point of failure. The RS3 uses the same plugs and we don't hear about those failing nearly as often (because they're less common, those owners are either not touching them, or they're more likely to have a pro handle their mechanical needs).
Having used nearly all of the plugs besides brisks and non-projected NGK, I'll say that the NGK 91006 has been the most headache-free plug I've tried.

And goes without saying, but buy your plugs from the dealer if you can.
I'd love to see the break down of the failed ones to see how many of them are VAG NGKs and how many are NGKs.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Here's a table of plugs I put together. For stock heat range plugs, the Rutheniums are v. good.

Capture.JPG

Last edited: