uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I've seen the numbers like a million times. Show me a car!
Strong rumours that 2024 we will be getting the RS3 with the facelift, cleaning up some of the complaints about the current 8Y. Once the 2024 is here in Canada, I know my R will be gone
I have no idea how I could navigate myself into the facelift with my current position in line. I thought about it only briefly. Some people are so put off from it's big black grill and the fake vents on the rear bumper. It's the type of things I've criticized on other cars, but for whatever reason that stuff does not bother me at all on the 8Y. Those are the things people are hoping to see changed on the facelift though. I've actually grown to like the big black grill quite a bit and how it accentuates the side vents.

I'm hoping I get to see one in person finally in the next couple weeks. My dealer has a sold turbo blue in transit that's supposed to arrive the middle of the month. I told them to call me if it's going to be there for a couple days. I'll take a day off work to go see it if I have to, even if I can't have it. I don't think there's anyway I'll see one otherwise. Maybe someone will bring one to Eurotripper next year. I wanted to have mine by then. I still don't even have an allocation and I think once I do get one it'll be 4-6 months out.

I follow this shit religiously and I haven't seen any allocations going out in the last 2 months. There was a bunch of them that got sent to dealers just a couple weeks after I put down my deposit to be 4th in line. The dealer got 3 allocations back then and nothing since. Finally getting an allocation is going to be just as exciting as the actual car showing up. lol It'll be a big relief at least. I'm anxious af with this wait.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
Just bring the wagon rs3 here and I’ll make the switch

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I've been very close to getting my hands on an RS3 lately. Two different dealerships selling cars at MSRP thought they had reservations backing out of a sale. They called me as a backup, both sales went through.

Feds just knocked up rates, again. Average rate in the US is somewhere around 5% for a new car right now. Bonkers.

0% on my Tiguan when I bought it. 1.9% on my Golf R.

>5% on a 70k car is a kick in the crotch. Takes it from manageable to almost unreasonable, especially when you have the credit for a low rate.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
lol, I saw someone in the FB group trying to sell theirs because they can't afford the $1k monthly payment. He had a bunch of people giving him shit for taking in such a big loan. Kinda sounded like he thought the $1k payment was average and what other people are paying. I'm trying to keep my loan to about $30k. I'll be pretty close...at least depending on when it arrives. The sooner it arrives the more my trade in will get me, the later it arrives the more I'll have saved up, so I have no idea where I'll end up as far as those numbers go.

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
I have no idea how I could navigate myself into the facelift with my current position in line. I thought about it only briefly. Some people are so put off from it's big black grill and the fake vents on the rear bumper. It's the type of things I've criticized on other cars, but for whatever reason that stuff does not bother me at all on the 8Y. Those are the things people are hoping to see changed on the facelift though. I've actually grown to like the big black grill quite a bit and how it accentuates the side vents.
For me, I would have at least placed an order, if it was available for the 8Y in Canada. I like the big black grill, and honestly I like it with any colour I have wanted. The fake mesh on the rear bumper isn't a big deal neither...I just can't actually buy it.

The underlying issue is, Canada is a small market and so like VW there are challenges in bringing them over. The biggest,

1) is there going to be enough fuel to heat Europeans homes, let alone build a car for a foreign market? Germany doesn't think so, and has ordered VW to cut production. VW is seriously considering moving production out of Germany. This might be ok for the GTI or Golf R (Mexico? cringe) but the Hungarian built RS3 likely still going to be impacted.
2) microchip shortages, ongoing issue, but the fuel supply is a much larger issue right now.

Yes, we see cars on lots, but they are all SUV's...so it shows it has less to do with microchips but the fuel shortages. There is demand, just no supply = ridiculous inflated prices

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
For me, I would have at least placed an order, if it was available for the 8Y in Canada. I like the big black grill, and honestly I like it with any colour I have wanted. The fake mesh on the rear bumper isn't a big deal neither...I just can't actually buy it.

The underlying issue is, Canada is a small market and so like VW there are challenges in bringing them over. The biggest,

1) is there going to be enough fuel to heat Europeans homes, let alone build a car for a foreign market? Germany doesn't think so, and has ordered VW to cut production. VW is seriously considering moving production out of Germany. This might be ok for the GTI or Golf R (Mexico? cringe) but the Hungarian built RS3 likely still going to be impacted.
2) microchip shortages, ongoing issue, but the fuel supply is a much larger issue right now.

Yes, we see cars on lots, but they are all SUV's...so it shows it has less to do with microchips but the fuel shortages. There is demand, just no supply = ridiculous inflated prices
I've seen some of that. There's a lot of unknowns, so asking them to delay my order until I can get a facelift doesn't sound like a good idea. Plus I love how the pre-facelift looks anyway.

I was told by my dealer that they were told by Audi that all of their customers that currently have a deposit on a RS3 will have one built for them. If they weren't killing it with the RS cars I'd be a little hesitant to believe them, but with what I've been seeing on their website I believe it. I don't think they have a ton of RS3 orders though. I'm 4th in line and I think there's only a few people after me. It didn't sound like they had a long list. They currently have 11 RS cars incoming to their dealership. The other 2 dealers near me I've never seen more than 3 or 4 RS cars incoming or on the lot at the same time. Audi also told my dealer they'll be getting additional cars delivered to them because of all the totaled cars from hurricane Ian, so that might help me get one sooner.

I saw something about EU emissions getting stricter in 2025 or something like that too, plus the rumor about the next RS3 being electric. I wonder if 2024 will be the last year for this car with the upcoming emissions changes or if they'll be able to make them through 2025. It was an emissions issue preventing it from being sold in Canada right? Maybe they changed something with the facelift that's allowing it to be sold in Canada and at the same time meets the 2025 EU regulations.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I've seen some of that. There's a lot of unknowns, so asking them to delay my order until I can get a facelift doesn't sound like a good idea. Plus I love how the pre-facelift looks anyway.

I was told by my dealer that they were told by Audi that all of their customers that currently have a deposit on a RS3 will have one built for them. If they weren't killing it with the RS cars I'd be a little hesitant to believe them, but with what I've been seeing on their website I believe it. I don't think they have a ton of RS3 orders though. I'm 4th in line and I think there's only a few people after me. It didn't sound like they had a long list. They currently have 11 RS cars incoming to their dealership. The other 2 dealers near me I've never seen more than 3 or 4 RS cars incoming or on the lot at the same time. Audi also told my dealer they'll be getting additional cars delivered to them because of all the totaled cars from hurricane Ian, so that might help me get one sooner.

I saw something about EU emissions getting stricter in 2025 or something like that too, plus the rumor about the next RS3 being electric. I wonder if 2024 will be the last year for this car with the upcoming emissions changes or if they'll be able to make them through 2025. It was an emissions issue preventing it from being sold in Canada right? Maybe they changed something with the facelift that's allowing it to be sold in Canada and at the same time meets the 2025 EU regulations.

I would be somewhere in the same ballpark on financing. My low mile R is worth 30-40k depending on whether I trade it or sell private. The spec RS that I wanted w/ Tech, sport exhaust, black optics, puts the car at about 65k.

AZ has excess taxes that we have to pay on auto sales which hikes up the total. Also, you have to take into account the increase in insurance. It's going to be a big jump, something that many don't think about. Again, at a 5% rate, it's bonkers. I'd be afraid to drive the car, honestly. Would be going straight to the shop for PPF on a good portion of the car, and the best UV blocking tint available. Something like 3M Crystalline.

I will say, based on your comments about where you're at in line, there are variables that exist there. I've spoken with and have friends who work at dealerships, and I've received different reports / stories from them. I've spoken with salesman who state that allocations go to the salespersons specifically, while others go to a "list", and if the person on the list no longer wants the car, it goes to the next person on said list.

The car I almost bought was from a salesperson at a dealership local to the Phoenix greater area. He told me that an allocation was coming up by the end of the month, and that the guy buying the car already had an R8 in the same color. Just so happened to be the same spec and color combo I wanted. I asked him "what about the next person on the list," he replies "you can be the next person on MY list." I thought it was sketch, but he knew I would have bought the car. The guy ended up closing on the deal, so he now has an RS & R8 in the same color.

Dealerships are shady, and I've been told by more than one that a "list" isn't even allowed to exist. You just place your order and wait. If a car comes in before that, outside of your order, and someone that wants it just so happens to be at the lot that day, they are going to sell the car to the person standing there. The dealership isn't going to start running down the list calling people, not in this market. If you want a car faster, you have to be persistent, making connections wherever possible. Ordering and waiting will take 1-2 years if you ordered a car today.

Remember this is for my area. I've added an extra thousand to the car for TTL, doc fees, add ons. I'm being generous with the 37k for trade, will likely get closer to 35k. The total financed would be closer to 35k+, unless I put extra money down, which I can. I would never buy this car unless I owned my R outright.
1667849761222.png

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I will say, based on your comments about where you're at in line, there are variables that exist there. I've spoken with and have friends who work at dealerships, and I've received different reports / stories from them. I've spoken with salesman who state that allocations go to the salespersons specifically, while others go to a "list", and if the person on the list no longer wants the car, it goes to the next person on said list.

The car I almost bought was from a salesperson at a dealership local to the Phoenix greater area. He told me that an allocation was coming up by the end of the month, and that the guy buying the car already had an R8 in the same color. Just so happened to be the same spec and color combo I wanted. I asked him "what about the next person on the list," he replies "you can be the next person on MY list." I thought it was sketch, but he knew I would have bought the car. The guy ended up closing on the deal, so he now has an RS & R8 in the same color.

Dealerships are shady, and I've been told by more than one that a "list" isn't even allowed to exist. You just place your order and wait. If a car comes in before that, outside of your order, and someone that wants it just so happens to be at the lot that day, they are going to sell the car to the person standing there. The dealership isn't going to start running down the list calling people, not in this market. If you want a car faster, you have to be persistent, making connections wherever possible. Ordering and waiting will take 1-2 years if you ordered a car today.
No 2 dealers seem to be doing the same thing. I've talked to my dealer about it multiple times and they seem to be doing it right. The first guy I worked with at the dealer was a guy I was told is in charge of the wait list. It sounds like they put 1 guy in charge of the list for the entire dealer and then the salesmen come to him to get people added to it. If a car comes in that isn't an allocated custom order then they start going down their list of deposits to see if any of those people want it. The day I came in to put in my deposit the guy I had been talking to wasn't there so I ended up working with someone else, but he was on the same page as the first guy I talked to and they were both telling me the same things. It sounds like the only way you could get one from them is if you have a deposit down and a place in line.

I don't have any actual proof that that's the way they're doing things, but it's been the same story from anybody I've talked to about it. Nothing they've said has been contradictory to what someone else there has said and nothing they've said has rubbed me the wrong way or made me pause to question them.

Hopefully they're genuine about what they've told me. So far from what I've seen from them and the horror stories I've heard about other dealers it makes me happy that I have a dealer that's actually taking care of people properly. I've talked to a couple people that have bought cars from them in the last few months and they've all been happy with them.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Remember this is for my area. I've added an extra thousand to the car for TTL, doc fees, add ons. I'm being generous with the 37k for trade, will likely get closer to 35k. The total financed would be closer to 35k+, unless I put extra money down, which I can. I would never buy this car unless I owned my R outright.
I still owe $2750 on my R, but that'll be paid off in no time. I couldn't do it without my Rs trade in value either.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I still owe $2750 on my R, but that'll be paid off in no time. I couldn't do it without my Rs trade in value either.

The other option I've been toying with would be to give up the ICE game and order a Tesla Model 3 Performance for the same price. Other than having a legendary car with all the great sounds from the 5cyl, it would be a superior car in every other conceivable way. Not to mention I would take delivery in Dec rather than playing all these games with Audi or other dealerships. I'm really, really, sick.... sick and tired of playing the BS game with the car market... and I haven't even really been looking at anything other than the RS3. The Tesla would be a faster car, you'd never pump another gallon of gas, and the simplicity and tech can't be matched. I still have my Tiguan for long trips. Of course, there are some QA issues that I'm sure I'd hate, but as long as they were willing to fix most of what I didn't like, I'd be fine with it.

I just don't know if I'm ready to make the switch yet.