GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Front driver side tire gap is about 1/2 inch lower than passenger side. Got new (beefier) tires and rub every time I hit a bump. Bent LCA? Hit a couple big potholes but never noticed adverse handling. Air pressure is the same in all tires (40PSI). What else could be the cause?

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Front driver side tire gap is about 1/2 inch lower than passenger side. Got new (beefier) tires and rub every time I hit a bump. Bent LCA? Hit a couple big potholes but never noticed adverse handling. Air pressure is the same in all tires (40PSI). What else could be the cause?

When was the last time you had an alignment? Not that ride height can be corrected by an alignment, but that can help narrow where to look if there is a problem.

How’d you settle on 40psi? Seems high…

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
I would think that if you bent the LCA, it would be pulling one way or another, and the wheel would be cocked off center.

I can't read all of your signature, but you have aftermarket lowering springs. Are they on the original stock struts and shocks? If so, I'd look there first. Pull the wheel, lift up the strut dust cover, and check for leaks. Any creaks, groans, or pops when driving?

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
New tires about a month ago and they did not recommend an alignment. On EMD springs (1.25) so not much of a drop. Bilstein B8 installed about a year ago and no fluid leaking. 40PSI as I’m on stock tire size 225/40/18 and that’s the VW recommended pressure. I get a cyclical squeak when turning right on cold starts but goes away after warming up. Steering wheel is a little off center toward the driver side.
Previously I had Firehawk 500 tires and they are not as beefy as the Michelin PS4S. Did not scrape (as much).

etrips

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golfffff Rrrrrr
So just purchased an R with all the fancy lane assists and other detection goodies. When does this need to be recalibrated for a billion dollars at the dealership? Windshield replacement? Downsizing from a 19"s to 18"s? Lowering?

Also are there power folding mirrors with blind spot detection?

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
So just purchased an R with all the fancy lane assists and other detection goodies. When does this need to be recalibrated for a billion dollars at the dealership? Windshield replacement? Downsizing from a 19"s to 18"s? Lowering?

Also are there power folding mirrors with blind spot detection?

There are two systems, the windshield camera and the radar emitter in the grille.

If you have your windshield replaced, make sure that camera alignment is performed by the technician. If they don't know how to do it, find another shop.

If you remove your grille and/or front bumper cover for any reason, disconnect the battery first. Don't unplug the radar sensor with the battery connected, or you may be looking at an expensive calibration.

etrips

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golfffff Rrrrrr
What about lowering the vehicle or changing wheel sizes?

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
How can I turn off my fog light?
Stupid question but do you have the Euro Headlight Switch? I need one myself but its sold out.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
No need to recalibrate.
Yup… my passat,GTI,Tiguan all have the sensors and I’ve not had to recalibrate any of them and can confirm they work still as I’ve been known to drive to close to the car in front of me at times and all cars let me know.

Passat - on taller wheels and tires
Tiguan. - lowered around 4 to 4.5” (the parking sensors deff. got very annoying and sensitive.)
GTI - on air ride and Constantly changing its ride height

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
What about lowering the vehicle or changing wheel sizes?

The car will let you know when it needs calibrated.

When I swapped springs to coilovers, and raised my ride height, it threw an error saying it wasn’t calibrated.

etrips

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golfffff Rrrrrr
The car will let you know when it needs calibrated.

When I swapped springs to coilovers, and raised my ride height, it threw an error saying it wasn’t calibrated.

So, essentially I only need to bring it in to have it recalibrated if I make any suspension changes?

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
If you have the turning headlights lowering the car will require you adjust them. It's easy enough to do it yourself

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
So, essentially I only need to bring it in to have it recalibrated if I make any suspension changes?
No, plenty others have lowered and didn’t need it. His case is def. Interesting cause if I’m reading it right he went from lowering springs to coilover and that pinged it