GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hill Assist

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
it is time based....stalling is lack of right pedal

on quick it's 1 - 1.5 secs or so. FWIW I like it in quick release.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
it is time based....stalling is lack of right pedal

on quick it's 1 - 1.5 secs or so. FWIW I like it in quick release.
So if you engage it and try to start without it releasing (time) it stalls the car? I would think releasing the clutch OR touching the gas would release it. That's how it works with the DSG - gas kicks it off (before it goes off based on time on its own).

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
it doesn't stall if you give it some gas. it put a touch of brake (I believe). In places it engages (seems to only be on hills) if you experiment by releasing the brake there is a variable delay before the car rolls back. The delay is longer in slow (long?). On V. slight inclines it does not activate. Your car rolls back as soon as you release brake or at least that's what I remember. I never noticed any detriment when using it but the idea of it releasing early makes me happy.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Gotta say, I never once thought about hill assist except when I first got the car... thought it was nice, haha. I've never even almost stalled because of it. I cannot imagine it would hold the brake hard enough/long enough that I would stall while I tried to drive away.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Gotta say, I never once thought about hill assist except when I first got the car... thought it was nice, haha. I've never even almost stalled because of it. I cannot imagine it would hold the brake hard enough/long enough that I would stall while I tried to drive away.
My GTI is my first car since a 2004 Jetta (also manual) and my first thought was "oh wow what a cool idea, would have loved this when I was learning stick!" Never gave it a second thought again.

Last edited:

back2brand

Car(s)
2019 GTI S
it doesn't stall if you give it some gas. it put a touch of brake (I believe). In places it engages (seems to only be on hills) if you experiment by releasing the brake there is a variable delay before the car rolls back. The delay is longer in slow (long?). On V. slight inclines it does not activate. Your car rolls back as soon as you release brake or at least that's what I remember. I never noticed any detriment when using it but the idea of it releasing early makes me happy.
It absolutely will stall regardless of how much gas you give it. Once it engages - based on the degree of incline - the brakes are solidly locked until it times out. No exceptions. Mine is a 2019 - perhaps you have an older model that was designed to release with gas/clutch.

dlhoovler

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6MT
I don't recall ever stalling on account of hill assist, but it was noticeable to me. What bugged me was the slight hesitation when starting on a steeper incline and the inability to drift backward immediately (to make more room for another car pulling into a drive as I'm exiting, or to coast out of an inclined parking spot without going into reverse). Maybe it was more noticeable since my other stick shift car doesn't have it, and none of my previous manuals did either. It was a very minor annoyance for sure, but it was nice to be able to turn it off with two minutes of coding.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
It absolutely will stall regardless of how much gas you give it. Once it engages - based on the degree of incline - the brakes are solidly locked until it times out. No exceptions. Mine is a 2019 - perhaps you have an older model that was designed to release with gas/clutch.
My car is a 2015, don't know if that makes any difference. It has the same ABS coding. But I find I use the "hold" time to find the balance between clutch/gas that stops the car from moving backward. I can find this spot quick enough, even in my car that does not have hold assist. And I'm sure if the Mk7 had been set to short or long instead of medium from factory I would have adjusted. I think the "safety" concern is about equal between rolling back and having to overcome that (potentially stalling for those without experience) versus getting your clutch/gas in balance during the "hold" and not rolling backwards at all.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
My car is a 2015, don't know if that makes any difference. It has the same ABS coding. But I find I use the "hold" time to find the balance between clutch/gas that stops the car from moving backward. I can find this spot quick enough, even in my car that does not have hold assist. And I'm sure if the Mk7 had been set to short or long instead of medium from factory I would have adjusted. I think the "safety" concern is about equal between rolling back and having to overcome that (potentially stalling for those without experience) versus getting your clutch/gas in balance during the "hold" and not rolling backwards at all.
Such a weird system to not release as soon as you touch the gas.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Such a weird system to not release as soon as you touch the gas.
I'm not sure how accurate that is. If I remember I'll see it how it behaves next time I'm at a hill somewhere. All I know is I don't give it any thought, on a hill the car doesn't roll back immediately and that's nice, haha. I don't do anything different with the clutch/gas than when I'm not on a hill really. My statement about finding the balance between clutch/gas is what I do when starting out on flat ground too. Don't even ever think about, but it's absence was noted when I would drive my Mk4.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
Thanks again to 2018GTI for the information about how to turn off hill assist entirely. Yesterday I tried out my new OBDeleven and cleared to two bits noted. It's a genuine pleasure to finally drive the car without the annoying hill assist! I also turned off the silly "soundaktor" while I was at it. Thanks again.
No problem, I’m glad I could help!

I never really had a problem with hill assist, but I turned it off to see what it was like and it’s been off ever since. I do it the old-fashioned way now lol, with the handbrake.

I can also see that hill assist would be mandatory for someone with an electronic parking brake, not being able to do it yourself and all.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I did some experimenting this AM

mine is set on quick release. There is a 2 second delay before the brakes release, but they also release as soon as you touch the gas.

I am still thinking if it is stalling it is because of lack of gas/releasing clutch too early. It does not really take any revs to make it release early just a touch on the gas pedal. I assume it looks for go pedal voltage and that triggers release.

Last edited:

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I wish you were closer...this is def. not how mine works. That is NOT normal and possibly covered by wtty. what do you do on hills? Do you have to wait till it releases?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I did some experimenting this AM

mine is set on quick release. There is a 2 second delay before the brakes release, but they also release as soon as you touch the gas.

I am still thinking if it is stalling it is because of lack of gas/releasing clutch too early. It does not really take any revs to make it release early just a touch on the gas pedal. I assume it looks for go pedal voltage and that triggers release.
That makes sense and is how it works with the DSG.