GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'll plug redshift again because they were fantastic on my car, budget as far as motorsports go but amazing performance to dollar ratio. Probably not much more than a PSS10 kit all in
At this point, I'm kicking myself for not going with redshift.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
At this point, I'm kicking myself for not going with redshift.
It's too bad they are only currently offering single adjustable units, though with their valving, is probably better than the Ohlins I run.

But complicated by their design requiring the adjuster to stick out the top of the strut hole, limiting camber.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
It's too bad they are only currently offering single adjustable units, though with their valving, is probably better than the Ohlins I run.

But complicated by their design requiring the adjuster to stick out the top of the strut hole, limiting camber.
It's only a problem if you don't want to open up the hole in the strut tower.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
It's only a problem if you don't want to open up the hole in the strut tower.
And I think that opening up the hole in the strut tower is against the rules.

14.8.C “The following allowances apply to strut-type suspensions. Adjustable camber plates may be installed at the top of the strut and the original upper mounting holes may be slotted. The drilling of holes in order to perform the installation is permitted. The center clearance hole may not be modified.”

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
And I think that opening up the hole in the strut tower is against the rules.

14.8.C “The following allowances apply to strut-type suspensions. Adjustable camber plates may be installed at the top of the strut and the original upper mounting holes may be slotted. The drilling of holes in order to perform the installation is permitted. The center clearance hole may not be modified.”
You are allowed to remove enough material to access the adjuster too, which in the case of the konis, allowed me to open the whole enough to get the adjuster in there.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
You are allowed to remove enough material to access the adjuster too, which in the case of the konis, allowed me to open the whole enough to get the adjuster in there.
Is that addressed in a letter?

Otherwise it’s just an opinion.

I would love for you to be correct.

Last edited:
Reactions: krs

B1mmer

Ready to race!
No, you can’t alter the center hole. You can drill a hole beyond the strut tower hole, but not enlarge the existing hole. I have enough camber that I had to drill a hole beyond the tower hole to get my 1mm adjuster tool in to adjust rebound.

What you have there is technically illegal. - AB

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
No, you can’t alter the center hole. You can drill a hole beyond the strut tower hole, but not enlarge the existing hole. I have enough camber that I had to drill a hole beyond the tower hole to get my 1mm adjuster tool in to adjust rebound.

Nope, the drilling required for access to adjustment is exactly large enough to get the adjustment tool on the strut. The fact that the drilled hole overlaps the hole in the strut tower is irrelevant.

B1mmer

Ready to race!
Nope, the drilling required for access to adjustment is exactly large enough to get the adjustment tool on the strut. The fact that the drilled hole overlaps the hole in the strut tower is irrelevant.

Bring it out to a National event and I’ll put up the $50 protest fee.

The rule wouldn’t explicitly state that the strut hole cannot been enlarged It’s a safety item, as when you make the hole non-round, it loses structural integrity. - AB

Reactions: krs

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Bring it out to a National event and I’ll put up the $50 protest fee.

The rule wouldn’t explicitly state that the strut hole cannot been enlarged It’s a safety item, as when you make the hole non-round, it loses structural integrity. - AB
That cap isn't structural and it's required to get the adjuster on the strut.

bfury5

Autocross Champion

yeah this is what I did @GTIfan99 @xXDavidCXx

Just a small clearance hole next to the center hole. when I sold my car and put the black plastic covers back on the strut openings, the cover completely covered the hole I drilled.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Do you have a photo you’d like to share? I don’t quite follow.

B1mmer

Ready to race!
That cap isn't structural and it's required to get the adjuster on the strut.
I have a friend on the STAC and I’ll inquire. - AB
yeah this is what I did @GTIfan99 @xXDavidCXx

Just a small clearance hole next to the center hole. when I sold my car and put the black plastic covers back on the strut openings, the cover completely covered the hole I drilled.
Same here. With the rule the way it was written, I was very careful not to have my adjustment hole come in contact with the stock strut top hole. - AB

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I have a friend on the STAC and I’ll inquire. - AB

Same here. With the rule the way it was written, I was very careful not to have my adjustment hole come in contact with the stock strut top hole. - AB

It's impossible for it to not contact the hole with konis and even the mildest of camber plates. I'd be interested what he says, thanks for asking. And I don't buy the safety reasoning, as can modify it in other classses. It seems to me the intent of the rule is they don't want ST class hacking off pieces of their cars, but the holes overlapping to the least extent possible shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:

B1mmer

Ready to race!
It's impossible for it to not contact the hole with konis and even the mildest of camber plates. I'd be interested what he says, thanks for asking. And I don't buy the safety reasoning, as can modify it in other classses. It seems to me the intent of the rule is they don't want ST class hacking off pieces of their cars, but the holes overlapping to the least extent possible shouldn't be an issue.

I’ll find out, but just because it’s impossible won’t make it legal (if my interpretation is correct). - AB