GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
PXL_20220618_213359520.jpg

PXL_20220618_184025256.jpg

Two track days back to back at Vancouver Island motorsport circuit. Eradicated the local bug population and got rubber skid marks on the paint. And also melted the metal on my two piece rotors??

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
View attachment 252891

View attachment 252892

Two track days back to back at Vancouver Island motorsport circuit. Eradicated the local bug population and got rubber skid marks on the paint. And also melted the metal on my two piece rotors??
Consumable items are consumable

when it comes to tracking. The whole damn car is a consumable if you think about it 😂

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
View attachment 252891

View attachment 252892

You didn't melt "the metal"...you exceeded the temperature of the coating left on the up swept area of the rotor...what pads did you pair with the girodisc rotors? Do you have the RS3 air deflectors?

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
You didn't melt "the metal"...you exceeded the temperature of the coating left on the up swept area of the rotor...what pads did you pair with the girodisc rotors? Do you have the RS3 air deflectors?
I was not serious about the concern really. Just thought it looked interesting :)

They're ds1.11 pads and the rotors were brand new for the day. I have rs3 deflectors too.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Consumable items are consumable

when it comes to tracking. The whole damn car is a consumable if you think about it 😂
110% lol

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
I was not serious about the concern really. Just thought it looked interesting :)

They're ds1.11 pads and the rotors were brand new for the day. I have rs3 deflectors too.
You could probably call girodisc, send them the picture and ask..."do you know what temp the coating is good for..." give you an idea what max temps you are seeing on the track...I believe DS1.11s are good from 800 C ish...and invest it some TI shims to save your caliper seals. Have fun...send it...

Last edited:

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
You could probably call girodisc, send them the picture and ask..."do you know what temp the coating is good for..." give you an idea what max temps you are seeing on the track...I believe DS1.11s are good from 800 C ish...and invest it some TI shims to save your caliper seals. Have fun...send it...
Yeah good advice all around thanks. It's a Baer setup actually but I'll ask them just the same.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Someone suggested using the rs3 brake cooling thingies. I’d consider it but I’m not sure if it’ll help any
It's pretty inexpensive and every bit helps. Got mine for free second hand lol

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Did an oil change yesterday and a wash on the mk7. I noticed water spots in the rear headliner. I dont have a sunroof. Not sure exactly what is it. Damn VW’s lol. Anyone experience this?View attachment 252978View attachment 252979
Dang bro. Iirc you're from Hialeah no? That last rain spell y'all got in Miami was crazy. Is it possible that the gasket meant to seal up the roof and the antenna went out on you and allowed that leak to happen? I'd start there

Sorry that happened. That freaking sucks.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Finally got around to having my buddy up (sans family) and 'we' knocked out the BFI mounts. By which I mean me, while he had a beer and we caught up. Good times.

I don't know if I was just super lucky, or if I'm a far better mechanic than I thought I was -- the install was easy. Transmission side went super smooth, hardest part about the engine side was figuring out how to safely support the engine. Found torque specs via a ShopDAP video, BFI's website didn't have anything for the engine side. Spec seems awfully low to me, something like 34-44 ft-lbs depending on which bolt. But it hasn't fallen out yet, so that's a plus. Initial reaction is there's very mildly more NVH (mostly noise) than with the Powerflex insert alone, however there does feel like a notable reduction in drivetrain movement. I also did a set of delrin shifter bushings and realigned the shifter, it feels much better now than before. Noise from the SMF is more pronounced now at lower RPMs, I'm likely going to take it to the shop that did the clutch kit install to have them verify the noise is normal alongside having them do the VAQ service.