GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thinking bout an Golf R -> RS3. Anyone do this?

HalfGerman

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Before Innovative talked about pricing, I had guessed it was twice the cost of the R new. Paying once for the car, then another $40k-ish for the wrecked RS3/ labor. I think the vid mentioned something like 100 hrs labor for the job.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Before you go to an RS3, check out the rear headroom as well as the trunk area. The R is way more livable if you need a car to do lots of things. You might be happier with another R that has a DSG.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Before you go to an RS3, check out the rear headroom as well as the trunk area. The R is way more livable if you need a car to do lots of things. You might be happier with another R that has a DSG.
And if you're going that route, just get a Mk8, not that you actually can, and not that anyone has cracked the ECU for tuning yet, but if I wanted a DSG, there's at least a slim chance that you could get a Mk8 R in the next few months. No idea on manuals, but it's looking like they won't be delivered soon.

Malttv5

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 mk7 R , 2015 Po
Been loving my R. But my back has been bugging me due to the heavy clutch, but I love the handling and subtleness of R around town. The added cylinder of the RS3 definitely is a plus. Anyone do this trade? I wouldn't get the NEW RS3... I'm not a fan of the exterior. What are your thoughts?
After having a couple of lower back ops the DSG is a god send , driving manuals just became painful . If you find the R does everything you need just sell it and buy another R with DSG . The R's are a well none platform to tune and cheaper to tune than a RS3 , that's the case in OZ and I rather have the 888 kicking Audi arse :cool:.

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
After having a couple of lower back ops the DSG is a god send , driving manuals just became painful . If you find the R does everything you need just sell it and buy another R with DSG . The R's are a well none platform to tune and cheaper to tune than a RS3 , that's the case in OZ and I rather have the 888 kicking Audi arse :cool:.
Thanks for your feedback. I figure if I'm selling my R I'll just let it go for a 5 cylinder with a bit more power. I love my R though. It's such a blast to drive. My chronic back problems aren't getting any better!

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
DAZA swaps are around 30k all said and done.

This is after selling parts from the R, etc.

Labor is included with this as well. This most time consuming part is the wiring, harness, electrical in general.

I've been considering this myself. Becoming more popular, and there are now shops that specialize in this particular swap.

ECNMY R

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
R, RS3, GTS 4.0
Just got back in the R after a week driving the RS3, and it always feels so good to return. The seating position is a million times better (I can't overstate how this feels back-to-back), it's more nimble, and even a DSG with a great TVS tune is boring as hell compared to the manual. Plus the R looks sooo good.

I think the RS3 is an interesting hero car for MQB drivers to meet, and I would ultimately recommend they do. You can't even have a bad day when you get to hear that engine. But it isn't more fun to drive than an R, and if I had to sell one of them tomorrow it wouldn't be a tough choice.

The RS3 gets a lot more attention than the R, though, and if you like to street race you'll have no shortage of challengers. Its legend status seems firmly established in the car community.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
With the current price of gasoline I wouldn’t go anywhere near more cylinders.