GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

mk7.5 R space saver spare

lionhead168

Car(s)
mk7.5 R
Recently purchased a used 2019 R and to my surprise US spec R don't come with a spare:unsure::mad:.

I'm from NJ and still have the oem 19 pretorias and thinking hard to get the space saver spare just in case a tow truck can't be reached or just install the spare and be on my way to a tire shop.

Do most US R owner purchased a spare just in case?

KS GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 R Lapis BlueDSG
Recently purchased a used 2019 R and to my surprise US spec R don't come with a spare:unsure::mad:.

I'm from NJ and still have the oem 19 pretorias and thinking hard to get the space saver spare just in case a tow truck can't be reached or just install the spare and be on my way to a tire shop.

I'm at about 6 weeks into my ownership of a '19 R. My son drives a '15 R and mentioned the lack of a spare tire when I told him I got an R. He was correct of course.

One of the Humble Mechanics first 'mods' is to add the spare tire kit and the thought of not having a spare bugs me as I'm a hands on kind of guy and want to minimize my chances of getting stuck on the side of the road for lack of a spare tire.

I looked around and ended up buying the whole kit from ECS tuning. It includes the new trunk trim piece so everything looks professional. I'm very pleased with it and would recommend it. I still carry the 'fix a flat' can of sealant and the compressor and hope I never have to use any of it!

Bob.

lionhead168

Car(s)
mk7.5 R
I'm at about 6 weeks into my ownership of a '19 R. My son drives a '15 R and mentioned the lack of a spare tire when I told him I got an R. He was correct of course.

One of the Humble Mechanics first 'mods' is to add the spare tire kit and the thought of not having a spare bugs me as I'm a hands on kind of guy and want to minimize my chances of getting stuck on the side of the road for lack of a spare tire.

I looked around and ended up buying the whole kit from ECS tuning. It includes the new trunk trim piece so everything looks professional. I'm very pleased with it and would recommend it. I still carry the 'fix a flat' can of sealant and the compressor and hope I never have to use any of it!

Bob.
I'm also sort of handy and as you mentioned keeping a spare (just in case) but situation where I'm on a interstate hwy it might be best to call tow just for safety reason. Most likely I will buy just a spare tire and the lock truck piece so I don't want to cut or trim as other did.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
The spare tire is like a condom or a gun. I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Ordered the spare tire kit the day after buying my R. Came in handy after cracking a rim. Sealant probably would not have helped in that situation.

Mikejt1954

Passed Driver's Ed

Part of my purchase deal for my 2019 R was the dealer had to supplied me with the spare, Jack, etc. I also carry sealant, but a spare is just a good idea. About $250 of you buy it

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I just bought the tire. I keep it at home, just in case. Had to use it only once when I bent a rim on road debris. It still got me home, just lost air after sitting overnight. I found a wheel repair shop that picks up and delivers, I only need the spare in case I need to go somewhere and can't wait a couple of days for the repair.

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I just bought the tire. I keep it at home, just in case. Had to use it only once when I bent a rim on road debris. It still got me home, just lost air after sitting overnight. I found a wheel repair shop that picks up and delivers, I only need the spare in case I need to go somewhere and can't wait a couple of days for the repair.
Carry it in the car. Better that than having to wait for an hour or two for the car to be towed back home. Also, it having the spare seems to make the Fender subwoofer sound a little better.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Throwing in an actual spare tire was one of the first mods I did with my R. Thinking of my wife sitting on the side of the road relying on a can of fix-a-flat wasn't a happy image for me. But I did it one better: Not only did I put in the generic VW/Audi space-saver spare, I added an electric jack as well as a 30" breaker bar with a universal joint. Now, my wife could actually change a tire if she had to--something that I doubt she could manage with a factory jack and the typical way-too-short jack-handle/lug wrench that's in most trunks. I also had the benefit of owning an '15 R, which came with the full Styrofoam insert beneath the trunk floor, which allowed me to make custom cut-outs for the jack and breaker bar. We haven't had to use the spare yet, but it's super comforting to know that it'll be there if and when we do.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Different mindsets for different people.

I'd rather my wife or daughter use the roadside assistance, than have either one try and change a flat on the side of an interstate.

I'd be more apt to do that myself, but even then I don't care to carry the spare, breaker bar, air jack, socket, tools, whatever. In 25+ years of driving I have never had a catastrophic flat tire while driving on my vehicle or any that I own including the wife/daughters. The daughter has used roadside assistance when her water pump tanked in her tdi golf, and that's about it.

That doesn't mean either can't, or won't change a flat. When my daughter started driving with her permit, we took tires on and off quite frequently to get her accustomed to it.

I guess I have a higher risk tolerance, but my history has proven that I don't need to plan for every last unknown potential issue out there, or I would be driving a suburban full of spare parts and tools.