GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
It's not the most graceful thing during downshifts. Doesn't do well with transitioning between braking and accelerating in D. At least it hasn't been for me

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
dumb question. asking for a friend. so if i wanted to run ethanol on a stock is20, all I need to do is ugprade the hpfp, get a tune?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
ideally 50/50 blend

so i my friend could run full e85 with a hpfp and tune?
yes. Car will probably perform the same on a e49 mix as full e85 but you gain the convenience of not having to mix when running full E (comes at the cost of mileage though)

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
Is there genuinely any benefit to cutting the second air hole/grate in the front grille for the intake? Especially since I have an IE V2 Intake without the carbon cover. I am trying to figure out if it actually is worth it before I go and cut up my front grille.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Is there genuinely any benefit to cutting the second air hole/grate in the front grille for the intake? Especially since I have an IE V2 Intake without the carbon cover. I am trying to figure out if it actually is worth it before I go and cut up my front grille.
You're better off with the carbon cover so it's not pulling in under hood heat. As far as cutting up the grill I just got the ECS dual air inlet which directs all the air to the air filter. IAT 's come down much faster when moving.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
You're better off with the carbon cover so it's not pulling in under hood heat. As far as cutting up the grill I just got the ECS dual air inlet which directs all the air to the air filter. IAT 's come down much faster when moving.
I can't use the scoops sadly. I have hella horns installed which will prevent me from having the space to install scoops from what it appears. And I heard the cover restricts airflow

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
I’ve been spending some time digging into the threads on Vortex for the Atlas. Different community over there, and information is not as easily searched up. I did see a few names I recognized @tigeo @snobrdrdan
What are common issues with the Vr6/Atlas to look out for, or preventative maintenance.
For example I know the 2.0t has water pump issues, and timing cover leaks and cam bridge seals etc.
I heavily considered the 2.0t Atlas just because of my knowledge of the motor, but felt the v6 has more load/pulling capabilities and I really didn’t want to end up with a Stage 3 Turbo Atlas 😂 Although a JB4 could wake this 6cyl up some.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I’ve been spending some time digging into the threads on Vortex for the Atlas. Different community over there, and information is not as easily searched up. I did see a few names I recognized @tigeo @snobrdrdan
What are common issues with the Vr6/Atlas to look out for, or preventative maintenance.
For example I know the 2.0t has water pump issues, and timing cover leaks and cam bridge seals etc.
I heavily considered the 2.0t Atlas just because of my knowledge of the motor, but felt the v6 has more load/pulling capabilities and I really didn’t want to end up with a Stage 3 Turbo Atlas 😂 Although a JB4 could wake this 6cyl up some.
Hey man, yeah, I'm over on vortex too/have been a long time. My username over there is karstgeo I believe though due to whatever reasons but think I was tigeo before that. I have a 2018 Atlas SEL w/4Mo and the 3.6 VR. It's been a solid family vehicle for us over approaching 40K miles/4 years we've had it. The VR really only has a few issues I know of - coolant leaking from the water pump and bad fuel injectors. Some 3.6s had bad head gaskets. I had my water pump replaced recently and did have a limp mode/EPC event for fuel injector that didn't repeat. The maintenance is v. straightforward like any VW - regular oil changes with oil having the correct approval (502 or 504 on the 3.6). Haldex is the same as the Haldex-equiped Golfs and auto trans is pretty bullet-proof Aisin 8-speed with a 80K service interval for the fluid/filter. When we got ours the 2.0 wasn't available with 4Motion so that was a no from me. I *think* you can get the Atlas now with the 2.0 and 4Mo in both the Cross Sport and 3-row versions but not sure. I think it would be interested to test drive and certainly would make a good platform to tune - it's basically the GTI engine/IS20 with a different tune. APR does software for it and many MQB bolt ons will work. I like the 3.6 VR, it's smooth and fits the bill better IMHO for a large 3-row SUV and gives you some towing capacity. You can remove the resonator and get some Wookie noise. I don't believe there are any tuning solutions for the 3.6 - it's NA so not much you can do beyond a timing advance tune to take full advantage of 93. APR had one for the 3.6 in the Passat/CC which is the same engine. I spoke to Arin with APR and he had noted that is someone was willing to give them an Atlas at the AL facility they would tune it....I think a more aggressive trans tune would be a better spend personally.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Hey man, yeah, I'm over on vortex too/have been a long time. My username over there is karstgeo I believe though due to whatever reasons but think I was tigeo before that. I have a 2018 Atlas SEL w/4Mo and the 3.6 VR. It's been a solid family vehicle for us over approaching 40K miles/4 years we've had it. The VR really only has a few issues I know of - coolant leaking from the water pump and bad fuel injectors. Some 3.6s had bad head gaskets. I had my water pump replaced recently and did have a limp mode/EPC event for fuel injector that didn't repeat. The maintenance is v. straightforward like any VW - regular oil changes with oil having the correct approval (502 or 504 on the 3.6). Haldex is the same as the Haldex-equiped Golfs and auto trans is pretty bullet-proof Aisin 8-speed with a 80K service interval for the fluid/filter. When we got ours the 2.0 wasn't available with 4Motion so that was a no from me. I *think* you can get the Atlas now with the 2.0 and 4Mo in both the Cross Sport and 3-row versions but not sure. I think it would be interested to test drive and certainly would make a good platform to tune - it's basically the GTI engine/IS20 with a different tune. APR does software for it and many MQB bolt ons will work. I like the 3.6 VR, it's smooth and fits the bill better IMHO for a large 3-row SUV and gives you some towing capacity. You can remove the resonator and get some Wookie noise. I don't believe there are any tuning solutions for the 3.6 - it's NA so not much you can do beyond a timing advance tune to take full advantage of 93. APR had one for the 3.6 in the Passat/CC which is the same engine. I spoke to Arin with APR and he had noted that is someone was willing to give them an Atlas at the AL facility they would tune it....I think a more aggressive trans tune would be a better spend personally.
Thanks! Yea I recognized your handle from the YT channel.
So Uni didn’t ever turn out a tune for them, thought I had read something about it.
So water pump and injectors, basically same as ea888 😂

Wookie pipe and intake are on the short list, love the sound of the VR. I agree the TCU can use a tune, especially coming out of an EQT TCU trans.

Did you ever service/replace the injectors?