GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Another one bites the dust (injector stuck)

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
Just posting a follow-up. Got my replacement injectors this morning, and installed them. Got the car back together and changed the oil and topped off coolant then went for a test drive around the neighborhood to make sure there weren't any fuel leaks. All is well. Probably going to send the old injectors off to be cleaned and flow tested and then will sell them off.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Ugghhh this happened to me a few days ago! Got on the freeway, under acceleration, the engine stumbled, CEL then EPC light came on. Got it towed home and checked for codes:
Misfire Random/multiple cylinder P030000
Misfire Cyl 3 P030300
Misfire Cyl 4 P030400

Wanted to rule out coil packs and spark plugs. Tried swapping coil packs and kept getting error code for only Cyl 3 misfire. Inspected the spark plugs: 1, 2, and 4 are covered in carbon. #3 looked like it was wet with oil.
Car had hard time starting, idle was very rough, and very strong smell of gas. Not much of a mechanic so I towed it to the shop.
Mechanic said that it isn’t oil on the spark plug but fuel. Fuel injector was stuck open and had lots of carbon build up. Thought it would be prudent to replace all of them. Also getting the valves walnut blasted while they have everything off. Very expensive repair and VW said it wouldn’t be covered. Merry Christmas to me…

2017 GTI Sport
60K miles
JB1, Forge Twintercooler, CTS CAI

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
0C836B36-2D1F-4665-8BA0-3628680F8759.jpeg

Spark plugs 1, 2, and 4 look like this.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Are you going to build stronger or just replace the motor?

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Fuel injector was stuck open and had lots of carbon build up. Thought it would be prudent to replace all of them. Also getting the valves walnut blasted while they have everything off. Very expensive repair and VW said it wouldn’t be covered. Merry Christmas to me…
2017 GTI Sport
60K miles

I know not everyone does Facebook but I've been seeing a lot of this lately on EQT's FB page and the mk7 MQB pages with injectors going bad and/or seals completely breaking down. The 19's with the switch to Continental injectors vs the Bosch injectors seem to be particularly troublesome, but I've seen enough on pre 2019's that with my upcoming MPI install I decided to order new ones from FCP for my '16 R w/ 41k miles. 10k of which has been on E30-E40 on stock IS38 and Vortex Std. Figured with the manifold off for the swap to the Euro manifold and carbon cleaning that might as well for an extra $400 for the injectors. Dave @ EQT has mentioned he pulls his every year and has them flow tested + cleaned just to mitigate the risk.

Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 8.30.57 AM.png

dlaunde

Go Kart Newbie
Is the switch from Bosch to Continental only for GTI's? I know the R/S3 have bigger injectors, so wasn't sure if they are a completely different brand/model series or also had a switch that is showing more signs of failure?

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Is the switch from Bosch to Continental only for GTI's? I know the R/S3 have bigger injectors, so wasn't sure if they are a completely different brand/model series or also had a switch that is showing more signs of failure?

definitely for Rs I’m not sure on the gti’s

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
So I’m calling around for repair estimates. In addition to replacing the fuel injectors, I want to clean carbon from the valves. One shop says they remove carbon by hand and not by walnut shell blasting. Is this a legit way to clean or should I ignore this shop?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
So I’m calling around for repair estimates. In addition to replacing the fuel injectors, I want to clean carbon from the valves. One shop says they remove carbon by hand and not by walnut shell blasting. Is this a legit way to clean or should I ignore this shop?
Legit. I had my car in for warranty work and the intake manifold needed to be removed so I had them clean the valves and that dealer cleaned them manually and was just as good a job as walnut blasting if not better.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
What would guys pay for 4 injector replacement, and for valve cleaning? I’m getting wildly different quotes. I’m in Boulder, CO btw where everything seems to cost a lot.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
What would guys pay for 4 injector replacement, and for valve cleaning? I’m getting wildly different quotes. I’m in Boulder, CO btw where everything seems to cost a lot.
I've seen carbon cleaning quoted at dealers from $350 to $700. Prices all over the place.