GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
if just DD then ST41’s are ideal for your purposes. Legit BBKs are only necessary for intense tracking.
Thoughts on ST40s with 328mm? $1700. I only want to cry once. ST41s make more sense right now budget wise since I have some other parts I want to pick up

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Would you spend $2k for the ST40s w/ 355mm rotor? Or $1k for ST41s w/ 328mm rotor? Current set up non PP brakes, spirited DD
I have st-41’s with 328 rotor. Same driving style and they are great for me.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Do you mind me asking how much you spent on them? Do you have any pictures of them installed?
Can’t really answer the first one. I acquired them from a friend who had a connection and I traded some work with him. Pics below.
26423003-310F-40DD-9DA9-4DCF50B439FA.jpeg
97775210-0489-4AFE-AC19-AC2C9A6DB612.jpeg

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Do you mind me asking how much you spent on them? Do you have any pictures of them installed?
ST41's w/328mm rotor is a great upgrade for a non-PP car. If you track often maybe the ST40's would be worth it, MAYBE.

I got my kit for $770 shipped from the buybrakes.com deal a couple years back.

IMG_20190505_171120 (2).jpg

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Probably one of the best tires out there. It isn't the tires.

Everyone else seems to think it is the tires. That it's just normal for brand new winter tires to behave like that on dry 45 degree roads.

It was in the low 30s and snowing a couple of nights ago, some was laying on the road, and the tires handled beautifully. They just don't seem to like "warm" dry conditions.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I wouldn't call 45 deg warm, but I live in Florida, so what do I know?

I will second tire release compound making all new tires greasy and needing to be burned off, though.

I have you tried stock tune for winter driving? All that power is useless with fwd in the snow.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
I live in Florida, so what do I know?

I have you tried stock tune for winter driving? All that power is useless with fwd in the snow.

True, if you don't know how to manage a powerful FWD car in the snow. It's not hard. These cars with four wheel snows do very well in snow and slush. The majority of winter days around here are dry as well.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
I wouldn't call 45 deg warm, but I live in Florida, so what do I know?

I will second tire release compound making all new tires greasy and needing to be burned off, though.

Hello no. I'm gonna RIP that e-brake around every snow-covered parking lot I can find.

Side note: 45 degrees is shorts and hoodie weather, IMO. I don't bust out the winter jacket till it's 20 or below.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Hello no. I'm gonna RIP that e-brake around every snow-covered parking lot I can find.

Side note: 45 degrees is shorts and hoodie weather, IMO. I don't bust out the winter jacket till it's 20 or below.

It was 67 yesterday and people are walking around in Florida with full artic explorer gear.

cb1111

Everyone else seems to think it is the tires. That it's just normal for brand new winter tires to behave like that on dry 45 degree roads.

It was in the low 30s and snowing a couple of nights ago, some was laying on the road, and the tires handled beautifully. They just don't seem to like "warm" dry conditions.
When I said "it isn't the tires", that is what I meant as the Vikings are outstanding - for a snow tire. The issue may well be your expectations of driving a modded car in the winter.

Snow/winter tires don't work nearly as well as dedicated summers (in dry weather) but the better snows (like the Vikings) can rival an all-season.

And, and others have said, the first miles are a little iffy with any tire.

Dents27

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Autobahn GTI
It was -10C this morning and it's already at 0C (32F) in 7 hours.