GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7.5 Golf R, outside rearview mirror blinding how to solve.

vw_s

Ready to race!
Car(s)
vw
If the car behind me sends out a car taller than mine, this picture will happen.
You guys can see the car directly behind you in your side mirror? I use my side mirrors to watch the lanes to my left and right.

The people saying the mirrors are adjusted wrong - tHaT's YoUr OpInIoN.
Yea okay, my opinion is your mirrors are fucking useless on the highway. You should be able to see the two lanes to your left or right in your mirrors, not the cars directly behind you.

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Having the mirrors adjusted to show cars behind you certainly appears to increase the chances of reflecting the headlights of other cars into your eyes (depending on their relative height and position). As a driver you might prefer your mirrors be adjusted that way. Your preference, which cannot be debated, is an incorrect adjustment relative to the intended purpose of the mirrors.

And specifically for the purpose of keeping that reflection out of one's eyes, the mirror adjustment is wrong.

TimCv1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI mk 7, Tiguan MQB
Yea okay, my opinion is your mirrors are fucking useless on the highway. You should be able to see the two lanes to your left or right in your mirrors, not the cars directly behind you.
Your opinion is fucking useless on the highway and anywhere else.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Your opinion is fucking useless on the highway and anywhere else.
The side mirrors are for the lanes to your sides to see if it's safe to switch lanes. The rear view mirror is for the traffic directly behind you. Either you adjust your side mirror so the car behind you doesn't have his headlight blinding you in the side mirror or you will just have to live with it that way.

nosmirk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
7.5 DSG
This link is from an old Car and a driver article that pulls from a paper authored by SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers).

The folks advocating for proper mirror adjustment are not wrong.

That's just more words and fancy diagrams! What would some two-bit rag like Car and Driver know about mirrors anyway. Post a link from a reputable mirror magazine like Reflections Monthly or Looking Glass Illustrated.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
That's just more words and fancy diagrams! What would some two-bit rag like Car and Driver know about mirrors anyway. Post a link from a reputable mirror magazine like Reflections Monthly or Looking Glass Illustrated.
You expect a biblical publication like Reflections Monthly to do a story about car mirrors? You'll do or say anything but admit that you are wrong.

https://ladiesministries.com/reflections-2/

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I had my mirrors adjusted "wrong" for almost 2 decades of driving. When I corrected that and properly angled them out more a few years ago, it definitely felt off and took some getting used to. But after having them this way for some time, it's definitely the better way to have them.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I prefer the side mirrors to also show behind for various reasons, so don't bother telling me I'm wrong too.

Answer the OP and don't provide stupid diagrams.
Real question, what a couple of the reasons are? I prefer the angled out because you get a wider field of view

and we did answer the OP. It may not have been an answer they (or you) liked but there were answers

Last edited:

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
IndyCars and F1 cars (all open wheelers) have NO rear view mirrors. Guess what, the side mirrors are angled out as far as possible. OP can protest 24/7 but is simply wrong.

vw_s

Ready to race!
Car(s)
vw
I adjust my mirrors until my door handles are just out of view of the bottom inward corner. Seems to work well

TimCv1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI mk 7, Tiguan MQB
Real question, what a couple of the reasons are? I prefer the angled out because you get a wider field of view
I prefer having an unbroken view to the rear with the mirrors, i.e. some overlap between side and center ones. Besides not having a gap, there's also the matter of sometimes you can't see behind in the center mirror e.g. on a hill (roof cuts off view), so the side one often works. Oh and without rear window in the way the view in the side one can be clearer i.e. helpful for seeing if that's a roof rack or Smoky.

Oh and how hard is it to use the mirror to check the next lane by leaning forward a bit? I guess everyone on the forum has swapped the stock belts and is harnessed in?

People saying they use the side view to see if there is a car in the next lane concern me for a couple reasons, one always check your blind spot over the shoulder (motorcyclists in particular will thank you), and two the convexity of the passenger-side one is so extreme that it's unreliable for this purpose anyway on that side.