GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New APR Intake System for Only $189.95!

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
Really thrilled to find this out.

I should have known it was too good to be true that the intake was only $189.

Edit: Called APR and was told that I need to purchase it separately. They didn't seem to be willing to just ship the filter even though the listing doesn't explicitly say it's not included. Pretty disappointing.
It shows installation of the SAI filter in the instructional video and the .pdf instructions too. When I found out it wasn't included I made sure to order it with the intake, even though they didn't ship out together =\

nickbrun

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 IS38 Golf 1.8t
I’m having an issue with my PEX intake, the intake manifold hose that attaches to the intake is extremely loose and I would suspect would leak in unfiltered air, when shining a flashlight on the bottom I see the light shining thru inside the intake tube, anyone else think this would be a concern? Not trying to bash the product it looks and feels great but to me this is worrisome.

Attachments

• 56DB0641-B19F-4ED9-8419-8E0E010ED68F.jpeg
    56DB0641-B19F-4ED9-8419-8E0E010ED68F.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 117
  • 36585620-1911-461B-BCC6-B6FF8B07F3F6.jpeg
    36585620-1911-461B-BCC6-B6FF8B07F3F6.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 116
Last edited:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
It’s a vacuums system pre turbo so it’s not gonna leak per-say, but depending how big that air gap is it becomes a location where unfiltered air is making its way in. Isn’t that the intake vacuum port line maybe the o ring type seal is just not seated right

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
It’s a vacuums system pre turbo so it’s not gonna leak per-say, but depending how big that air gap is it becomes a location where unfiltered air is making its way in. Isn’t that the intake vacuum port line maybe the o ring type seal is just not seated right
Mine is the same way. The grommet width is much wider than the wall thickness of the intake pipe, making it able to move around.

Last edited:

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
So is anyone selling theirs yet? Dibs :p

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
This looks good for the price. Anyone got one on a 1.8 tsi with APR plus 87 tune? The stock with K&N, no snow filter is pretty good setup but curious about this open system. My 1.8 just a little to quiet ha
I will be doing this soon on my Alltrack. Likely next tax/return bonus, since money is actually that tight that I cannot currently justify spending <$200 on cool sounds :(

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
My GF's LED Union Jack no name taillights on her Cooper S also has DOT stamped on there....

The sweeping lights are still not legal. Audi USA was able to circumvent that by also putting a solid blinker under the sweeping light.

ewwww. That makes sense and now that I know it I hate it hahaha

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
After installing right now my biggest complaint is the loosey goosey vacuum fitting, I'll need to be careful in the future not to break it when removing the intake. Enjoying the new sounds though!

nickbrun

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 IS38 Golf 1.8t
I’m having an issue with my PEX intake, the intake manifold hose that attaches to the intake is extremely loose and I would suspect would leak in unfiltered air, when shining a flashlight on the bottom I see the light shining thru inside the intake tube, anyone else think this would be a concern? Not trying to bash the product it looks and feels great but to me this is worrisome.
Update, APR sent me the version that's used for the carbon open intake, apparently will fit more snug.
After installing right now my biggest complaint is the loosey goosey vacuum fitting, I'll need to be careful in the future not to break it when removing the intake. Enjoying the new sounds though!
I hope it doesnt suck in unfiltered air.

Johaan

Ready to race!
Update, APR sent me the version that's used for the carbon open intake, apparently will fit more snug.

I hope it doesnt suck in unfiltered air.
So is this a 1-off or you think it might be more common?

nickbrun

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 IS38 Golf 1.8t
So is this a 1-off or you think it might be more common?
I’m pretty sure it’s common, four people have already said theirs has been lose including me, but, an APR rep told me it won’t have an effect on functionality.

Johaan

Ready to race!
I’m pretty sure it’s common, four people have already said theirs has been lose including me, but, an APR rep told me it won’t have an effect on functionality.
I guess that depends if unfiltered can get in or not. Tightening it is not an option I guess?

I haven’t pulled the trigger yet, was waiting to see what folks thought about the build quality first. Price is great, like the look, just worried it was too good to be true.

nickbrun

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 IS38 Golf 1.8t
I guess that depends if unfiltered can get in or not. Tightening it is not an option I guess?

I haven’t pulled the trigger yet, was waiting to see what folks thought about the build quality first. Price is great, like the look, just worried it was too good to be true.
It’s not, ive tried tightening it wont budge, but again, if it doesnt effect functionality I really don’t mind, quality on the intake is great the PEX material is hard as f**k and looks nice, i’d pull the trigger on it, it’s in stock at BMP Tuning & you wont have to pay shipping/taxes 🙂

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
Installed mine today, only takes about 10 min. As far as the vacuum fitting goes, I used an o-ring in the groove of the grommet to eliminate the play. The Dorman assorted grommets were not wide enough for the wall thickness of the intake pipe so I had to make do.

Turned down the engine noise setting. Not sure how I feel on the sound of I though. Going to make sure everything is tight and see how I feel about it after a while.

nickbrun

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 IS38 Golf 1.8t
Installed mine today, only takes about 10 min. As far as the vacuum fitting goes, I used an o-ring in the groove of the grommet to eliminate the play. The Dorman assorted grommets were not wide enough for the wall thickness of the intake pipe so I had to make do.

Turned down the engine noise setting. Not sure how I feel on the sound of I though. Going to make sure everything is tight and see how I feel about it after a while.
Ah, nice idea with the O-ring i’m going to try it, what do you dislike about the sound?