GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Importance of dsg tune?

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
I'm looking into getting a stage 2 ecu tune from EQT. How important is the dsg part of the tune? Is it bad for the car if I don't get the dsg tune at the same time as the ecu tune? It's all a question of cost tbh. I can afford most used cobb accessports and the ecu tune but not the price to unlock the dsg abilities of the AP and also buy the dsg tune. How bad fir the car would it be to run just the stage 2 eqt ecu tune without the dsg tune?

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
The increase in torque won't damage the dsg clutch pack at all? Especially with factory pressure?
I ran stage 2 on my Gti for 60k miles with no dsg tune with no issues. You won’t be making enough power to hurt the clutches, especially since you likely won’t be running tires capable of maximum traction.
No it won't. But I would get the DSG tune when you can because it's that much of a difference.
Agreed to this though. Save your pennies and then you’ll really get to enjoy the car. I was fine with my dq250 on stock programming but my dq381 was extremely lazy and I’m glad I paid for the unlock.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
I ran stage 2 on my Gti for 60k miles with no dsg tune with no issues. You won’t be making enough power to hurt the clutches, especially since you likely won’t be running tires capable of maximum traction.

Agreed to this though. Save your pennies and then you’ll really get to enjoy the car. I was fine with my dq250 on stock programming but my dq381 was extremely lazy and I’m glad I paid for the unlock.
Yeah hopefully once November rolls around I've heard eqt does sales so I'll unlock and get the tune then.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yeah hopefully once November rolls around I've heard eqt does sales so I'll unlock and get the tune then.
If you already have an Access Port I haven't seen EQT run a sale on just the DSG tune before.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
If you already have an Access Port I haven't seen EQT run a sale on just the DSG tune before.
Ooo okay thank you for letting me. Know. Well then I'll just save up the 575 for the unlock and dsg tune probably January

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I ran EQT Stage 2 without the DSG tune for 5 months. Like others said, there's no real issue for the health of the car. However, the car's drivability is well worth the extra money spent on a DSG tune.

Best price you can it for is $500, which is buying the $400 DSG unlock right from Cobb, and getting a discount on their DSG tune. You can just pay the $400 and use the Cobb DSG maps, but they're not that good. I barely noticed a difference at all with the Cobb DSG tunes.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
I ran EQT Stage 2 without the DSG tune for 5 months. Like others said, there's no real issue for the health of the car. However, the car's drivability is well worth the extra money spent on a DSG tune.

Best price you can it for is $500, which is buying the $400 DSG unlock right from Cobb, and getting a discount on their DSG tune. You can just pay the $400 and use the Cobb DSG maps, but they're not that good. I barely noticed a difference at all with the Cobb DSG tunes.
Yeah that's what I'm probably going to do.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Its funny. Back when I asked this question it was recieved by many people telling me since I had already been running my car Stage 2 with stock TCU tune, im lucky if the DSG clutches arent already worn. They told me to get the TCU tune ASAP and to drive easy until then. I ended up getting the TCU tune and I wish I just left the entire car stock. Bought a 2019 and I will be keeping it stock. Also for what its worth, the DSG tune introduced a lot if little finicky things that just made the car drive strange especially in lower gears. All of my opinions on tuning and shit tend to be ill recieved, as I am in the minority of people that feel this way.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Its funny. Back when I asked this question it was recieved by many people telling me since I had already been running my car Stage 2 with stock TCU tune, im lucky if the DSG clutches arent already worn. They told me to get the TCU tune ASAP and to drive easy until then. I ended up getting the TCU tune and I wish I just left the entire car stock. Bought a 2019 and I will be keeping it stock. Also for what its worth, the DSG tune introduced a lot if little finicky things that just made the car drive strange especially in lower gears. All of my opinions on tuning and shit tend to be ill recieved, as I am in the minority of people that feel this way.
Whose DSG tune did you have?

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Whose DSG tune did you have?
EQT. On facebook pretty much everyone gets on their knees for EQT but I wasnt as blown away by their stuff as I expected to be based on how much everyone hypes them up. Im not out to hate on anyone in particular, however in my situation with my driving and needs, I wont be getting a tune again anytime soon.