GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Importance of dsg tune?

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
What I hated with the Cobb DSG tune was the gear hunting. If your speed dropped 1 MPH it would downshift and the EQT DSG tune doesn't do that and Sport mode is fantastic.
I don’t notice gear hunting with mine. The only real quirk if you can call it that is that no matter what it will not shift to 7th until a certain mph that I can’t remember off the top of my head because I haven’t driven the car in 4 months.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
I keep misreading the thread title as "Importance of DOG tune" and coming in here looking for answers to how you tune your dog. Leaving disappointed, again...
I can absolutely create a thread just for you with that title lol

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
I don’t notice gear hunting with mine. The only real quirk if you can call it that is that no matter what it will not shift to 7th until a certain mph that I can’t remember off the top of my head because I haven’t driven the car in 4 months.
I honestly don't know if I have 7th gear in my Mk7 gti. It never will shift past 6th in my dsg. It's not tuned yet

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
I think Mines a 6spd dsg

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Jim Llloyd already said it, but yea if it were me I would save and get the DSG tune as soon as feasible. Power is nice, but putting it down correctly is 50% of the equation. My car is 6mt and I waited a LONG time to get my clutch upgraded, due to funds basically and I was holding out for the ACT clutch kit, which aint cheap. Once in though, its like ok now I can enjoy the power lol.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
EQT DSG tune is THAT much worth it......so much better.
Yeah hopefully come tax season I'll be getting the dsg tune. But until then it's going to be eqt esc tune for the power gains and once tax returns come then itl be time for the dsg tune

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
After just two days of driving with just an EQT tune I bought the dsg tune. The power just doesn't get put down well without a tune.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I'm looking into getting a stage 2 ecu tune from EQT. How important is the dsg part of the tune? Is it bad for the car if I don't get the dsg tune at the same time as the ecu tune? It's all a question of cost tbh. I can afford most used cobb accessports and the ecu tune but not the price to unlock the dsg abilities of the AP and also buy the dsg tune. How bad fir the car would it be to run just the stage 2 eqt ecu tune without the dsg tune?

My take: a TCU-tuned, stock-ECU car drives better than an ECU-tuned, stock TCU car.

Power isn't the issue from the factory, 258 torque is a good amount for a 3K pound car, especially considering it hits @ 2K RPM w/ ~10% drivetrain loss.

The problem is factory TCU tuning, which is designed to meet government emissions standards, not drivability.

So, if you're saying you're gonna tune the ECU, then wait until next March/April for the TCU, I say get the TCU now, and get the ECU then.