GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 GTI to be revealed in March

sstarrx2

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI S DSG
Nothing to be jealous of, the Rabbit was a 1 year offering. Otherwise, in 2021 we had only Autobahn available and for 2022, we have 3 options... Standard GTI, Autobahn and Performance. So, from what I can tell.. S, SE and Autobahn sold under different names.

I'm jealous of the frameless mirror w/ Homelink US spec Autobahn's got which we can't even add according to the dealer.
Man just order one online and install it! It took me an hour to install mine. That and adding billet paddle shifters was the first thing I did to my GTI. There should be no reason you cannot add. Don't trust a word the dealer tells you about anything...ever.

sstarrx2

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI S DSG
Nothing to be jealous of, the Rabbit was a 1 year offering. Otherwise, in 2021 we had only Autobahn available and for 2022, we have 3 options... Standard GTI, Autobahn and Performance. So, from what I can tell.. S, SE and Autobahn sold under different names.

I'm jealous of the frameless mirror w/ Homelink US spec Autobahn's got which we can't even add according to the dealer.
Isn't Canada able to get upper level trims without the sun roof and with the Tartan seats?

lordnikon228

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Rabbit
Isn't Canada able to get upper level trims without the sun roof and with the Tartan seats?
Surprisingly, the sunroof is optional on all MK8 Golf GTI trims in Canada. It's also optional in the Golf R.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
How does the interior suck? Is it any different than any other country's interior?
It's a significant downgrade compared to the MK7.5 for me. I dislike the all capacitive interior as many journalists have said during their reviews of the MK8.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
The mk8 interior is worse in every way except RGB lighting.

For example it takes about 6 button presses through the touch screen to disable traction control. In my mk6 I just press a hard button and go.

And the mk7 is like 2 button presses or so but it's really buried on the mk8

Last edited:

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
And a heated steering wheel, automated climate control, heated seats, and MiB 3 (instead of that all-touch abomination). With the diff coming standard now, that's a remarkably generous "base" options package. Genuinely the only thing I'd want on top of that is the DCC, but of course that's held hostage by the near $40k Autobahn trim.

I believe the diff was standard for all trims starting in 2019. ....but I see that for Mk8, DCC has been removed as an optional package for the SE? that's...disappointing. Seems that is moved to standard for Autobahn just to make that trim more attractive and provide some argument for choosing that over an R?

I really dislike the interiors for these, especially the lack of actual buttons, as most will complain about. I have a 2019 SE and my one and only complaint remains the capacitive buttons on the infotainment screen. They are useless and actually quite dangerous when trying to use them while driving. Way too distracting. I'd like for an option for real buttons to appear in later model years, but I'm not holding my breath.

...but, I'm still thinking that I might, just might....swap out my GTI for one of these Mk8 R's 2-3 years from now. I much prefer those leather seats to the uglier cloth styling in the Euro market version. Oh, and I'm sure the buttons on that steering wheel would drive me mad, as all reviewers have been pointing out over the last year. They do look hopeless.

Also, anyone else noticed the lack of flared wheel arches on the R? It looks....terrible to me. Took me a while, but then it slapped me in the face the other week, watching one of those older European reviews. I don't know how I feel about that, other than I'm pretty sure I don't like it, lol.

Last edited:

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
Just wait for the refresh. im 99% sure the mk 8.5 will bring back physical buttons. There has been way too much backlash.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Just wait for the refresh. im 99% sure the mk 8.5 will bring back physical buttons. There has been way too much backlash.

I think the Germans are more stubborn than the Japanese manufacturers. Honda added some buttons back after their first attempt to go buttonless. MMI has been criticized from day one and VAG keeps adding more and more menus to Audis and fewer buttons. I don't see them changing course. They might rearrange the "buttons" on the wheel to keep you from accidentally hitting them, like reviewers have complained about, but I don't see them adding buttons. You will adapt to their new system and you will like it. Or else they'll beat you with a bratwurst.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I think the Germans are more stubborn than the Japanese manufacturers. Honda added some buttons back after their first attempt to go buttonless. MMI has been criticized from day one and VAG keeps adding more and more menus to Audis and fewer buttons. I don't see them changing course. They might rearrange the "buttons" on the wheel to keep you from accidentally hitting them, like reviewers have complained about, but I don't see them adding buttons. You will adapt to their new system and you will like it. Or else they'll beat you with a bratwurst.
I remember a time when the Germans were all about function over gimmick when it came to interiors.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
The mk8 interior is worse in every way except RGB lighting.

For example it takes about 6 button presses through the touch screen to disable traction control. In my mk6 I just press a hard button and go.

And the mk7 is like 2 button presses or so but it's really buried on the mk8

They also made everything more...... horizontal and less driver focused, its definitely a stark departure... you are just another passenger
It was coming, the new Jetta had that style... all the Audis look like that now... I prefer the old interiors, the old B8 A4 interior, vs the new B9 interior, etc

edit: I'm not asking for S2000 interior interior layouts or like the new Corvette, that makes you feel special... but they are going for the Tesla, self driving vibe too much...
Its not a deal breaker though, don't get me wrong... just wish they could spice it up.

Last edited:

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
IMO the bugs and gremlins in the latest generation of software in the mk8 Golf and it’s Audi, Skoda and Seat siblings that are being reported by owners on many forums would be a greater concern to me than the interior layout.

The interior I would probably get used to although I still don’t like the removal of physical switches, and the HVAC and radio volume touch panel below the central infotainment screen not being illuminated at night seems bizarre. However, I couldn’t live with the persistent software issues that VW seem to be slow to address.

sstarrx2

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI S DSG
IMO the bugs and gremlins in the latest generation of software in the mk8 Golf and it’s Audi, Skoda and Seat siblings that are being reported by owners on many forums would be a greater concern to me than the interior layout.

The interior I would probably get used to although I still don’t like the removal of physical switches, and the HVAC and radio volume touch panel below the central infotainment screen not being illuminated at night seems bizarre. However, I couldn’t live with the persistent software issues that VW seem to be slow to address.
Yeah...this is why you should never buy the first year of a new model.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Yeah...this is why you should never buy the first year of a new model.
100% agree.

I usually wait until a car is at least three years into its lifecycle - sometimes much longer. I’m not prepared to be an unpaid Beta tester for VW 😠.