GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 GTI to be revealed in March

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
This exactly. I don't disagree with Joe if we're talking Mk6 or Mk7, but I think the Mk8 may have finally turned the tables.

But will that table be worth $15k? Jury is still out, especially on the US R. VWoA will find a way to screw this up.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
I'm excited to drive one. In the MK7, the R was faster in a straight line, but really wasn't any better/more fun to drive than the GTI. The new torque vectoring AWD could mean the new R is actually more fun too, not just faster (that's what the magazines/blogs seem to be saying)

Yeah, im convinced the new R is the best yet from what ive read and seen in videos. The autobahn video I watched where he goes 187 mph in the R with the performance pack is amazing. Really impressive stuff. And yeah they have a rear e-diff now I believe which makes it more tossable. Oh and drift mode I guess?

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
-VWoA will find a way to screw this up.

The biggest screw up VW has done with new R is the manual trans. But its not like theyre going to design a new manual gearbox in 2021 so we are kind of out of luck. of course this is VW in general not VWoA specific but you get my point. If I ever get a mk8 R it has to be DSG

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
The biggest screw up VW has done with new R is the manual trans. But its not like theyre going to design a new manual gearbox in 2021 so we are kind of out of luck. of course this is VW in general not VWoA specific but you get my point. If I ever get a mk8 R it has to be DSG
As long as the mechanicals are the same to the DSG car, I don't care, as I'd tune it and install a better clutch anyway. But if the manual cars don't have the Conti turbo, that's going to be a pretty big deal to me.

ninelives

Wascally Wabbit
Car(s)
'21 GTI
Yeah...the US packages are so restrictive. I envy Canada's trims.
Nothing to be jealous of, the Rabbit was a 1 year offering. Otherwise, in 2021 we had only Autobahn available and for 2022, we have 3 options... Standard GTI, Autobahn and Performance. So, from what I can tell.. S, SE and Autobahn sold under different names.

I'm jealous of the frameless mirror w/ Homelink US spec Autobahn's got which we can't even add according to the dealer.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Nothing to be jealous of, the Rabbit was a 1 year offering. Otherwise, in 2021 we had only Autobahn available and for 2022, we have 3 options... Standard GTI, Autobahn and Performance. So, from what I can tell.. S, SE and Autobahn sold under different names.

I'm jealous of the frameless mirror w/ Homelink US spec Autobahn's got which we can't even add according to the dealer.
It's an easy enough after-sale install; I've got one in my SE (and if I can install it without screwing it up, literally anyone can lol)

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I dunno is 45k close to 30k? They are the same car
I had this discussion on this forum once, with one or two people telling me they are not the same car.
Yes, they are.
'Cept one is the all wheel drive version with more power.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
I had this discussion on this forum once, with one or two people telling me they are not the same car.
Yes, they are.
'Cept one is the all wheel drive version with more power.

It’s like an R32/R33/R34 GTS-T (type m) vs GTR. Same chassis, basically same motor, but one has AWD, more power, and some better equipment.

I think the MK8’s gap between GTI and R is bigger than that of the MK7, I’ll give her a shot on a test drive. GTI will be paid off in November.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I've been paying attention to how I use the volume knob vs the steering wheel buttons and I think I'm fine giving up the physical knob, I really only use it to turn it off, I almost exclusively adjust the volume with the steering wheel, or my watch (the horror!)

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
The better question is how equipped is an R at $45k vs a base GTI at $30k? The R is fully equipped with Nappa leather seats and the full safety suite and for $30k the GTI is the S version. An Autobahn GTI is about $39k.
Fair, but we’re also forced into lots of standard content on the R. I’d greatly prefer the blue cloth seats of the EU car and even though I made fun of the metal roof crowd, it would be nice to have the option to kill the sunroof, most Audis offer a no cost option to remove the sunroof.