GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Jack Failure

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Wow someone really woke up and chose violence today. Go back to bed dude 😂

@Lth0ms0n I would close this thread and turn off notifications, you aren’t going to get anywhere with these bricks 😂 For future projects look into a hydraulic jack.
Some of us live on caffeine and hate......nothing wrong with that.

OMFG it just gets better :ROFLMAO:

So in summary...

• OP does something anyone who has worked on cars for more than 5 minutes knows is very dangerous
  • Brags that his engineer dad saw no problem with it
  • Comes into a group of car enthusiasts thinking he's Captain Save a Mechanic
  • Is "Underwhelmed" when he isn't welcomed as the white knight he thinks he is
  • Brags about his 10+ years as an IT professional
  • Tells us we have small dicks, when every one of his posts oozes incel energy
  • Needs time to write yet another closing post...because now he's "won the argument"
I really hope OP is a teenager. If you really are a grown ass man, see a therapist. Your fragile ego is sad, really.
Best summary I've seen on any thread before everyone posts IB4L. Bravo Hoon.....bravo!

also OP, take a breath.....many of us have had heated spats with one another....everything will calm down and then you'll be friends.....just look at Keehs and the results from his FMIC thread...it was like a "break the ice" thread.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Has anyone had an issue with the standard supply jack which came with their Golf from the factory?

Reason I ask? Mine failed, in use, this morning... Car still had 4 wheels on it fortunately, we had tipped it up to drain the coolant from it and were in the process of lowering it when it dropped by about 3 inches.

It's barely been used, I'd have expected a component like that to have lasted the age of the car - given that I was intending on doing some more work to the brakes on it later on today, the safety implications of that could have been particularly severe...

Dave, at what point have I blamed VW for what's happened here, exactly? Forgive me if I am mistaken but is it not every other individual who has posted in this thread who has criticised them for their choice of hardware supplied with the vehicle from new besides me?

I have gotten it wrong in the past and used this to jack my car up from the front but save for that, everything else I have done is as-per your above highlight from the manual. I have only ever used the tool to raise one corner because how else do you lift two, other than positioning the jack in the middle of the car, bending the metal work in the process? Even with an unladen weight of 1400Kg, with three other contact points on level ground, the weight is automatically distributed evenly so more than 1100Kg on the jack at any time shouldn't be possible, unless you are not following the instructions?

In every instance where this has had to be used, that's been the case - I may not be the most experienced person in this thread but do possess the intellectual capacity with a Higher in Physics to know what forces do when they're not placed at 90 degree angles.

I can't speak for why he didn't notice this himself and I'm not going to - he did, however, read the literature again last night (as did I, in the very early hours of this morning) and I'll stand by what I said previously; VW do not state clearly that this an "emergency" tool, only that it's designed to raise a corner of the car when the other three are comfortably sat on a flat, stable surface. IF that is what VW are implying, their choice of words is ambiguous and opens them up to being pressed on cases such as this one - operator error aside. In fact, reviewing the information in the manual again right now, I'd go so far as to say that it's something which has been coined through experience - particularly given the various anecdotes supplied by others who have posted here.

If he's guilty of anything, it's VW's ridiculous notion of jacking the car up at one end to change a spare on the other. I can only imagine the incredulous look I'll see flit across his face as he pictures the implied notion of jacking up his old P48 Range Rover at the back to change the tyre on the front.

The same could be said about the RR Sport he drives now and the 9 or 10 other Land Rovers he's had over the years. In fact, I'll take a look in the manual for the one he has now and see what their current recommendation is. If it's the antithesis of the lunacy VW are suggesting, I think he can also be forgiven because it would be clear where the anomaly is...

I'm sure I'm not alone here in feeling that the car should be supplied with OEM equipment which is fit for purpose and not fit for the bin.

I'm man enough to admit when I've gotten my facts wrong and I'm brave enough to do it in front of a group of faceless egos in a car forum - in my naivety, I have overlooked the sticker on the jack which alludes to only being suited to raising the car from the rear. How one goes about changing a front tyre when it would still clearly be on the ground is beyond me - now that the jack is f*cked, however, a replacement which is capable of lifting both ends of my car (comfortably & safely) will be procured and stored with the rest of the spare wheel kit. I will need this when I return home at the start of the Autumn because I'll have no access to a suitable facility to store a floor jack and need to ensure I can still change a spare should the need ever actually arise.

I should think that what I've just said states, clearly, that I am not blaming anyone else for what's happened here - I'd ask anyone who still feels that's the case to remove themselves from this thread now, that input is neither necessary nor wanted, at this stage. My original question was "has anyone else had the OEM jack with their Golf fail" and the answer to that question is a resounding "YES" so I'll take this information on board and action it appropriately.

I'm not going to aim this next comment directly at anyone, however everything else just seems to have been an opportunity for some to swing their wee dicks around - a bit pathetic, really.

To those of you who have offered sage advice, I thank you and appreciate it. I will be turfing the OEM jack this afternoon on my way past the tip and that will be the end of it. Of course, if someone can recommend something to me that is actually up to the job, which I can shove in a cupboard in my flat when it's not needed, I'd very much appreciate that because god only knows, I don't want to find myself in this particular position, ever again.

@golfdave mine is a 3-door 6-speed manual, making the unladen weight of it 1377Kg and the front axle bearing 1030Kg of that.

View attachment 215671

Weight rating on the jack being 1100Kg - meaning the front end of the car is (well) within tolerance - as we're only allowed to lift one corner at a time:

View attachment 215672

This was particularly interesting:

View attachment 215673

The above coming from the "GTI/GTD/R" section of the manual.

So, looking at the facts above, I have in fact done nothing wrong - other than being less experienced in this particular arena than some of those who have chosen to contribute to the thread. Every time the jack has been used to replace a wheel, it's been done to the above guidelines - it has failed through nothing more than being cheap shite and again (given my Dad's knowledge in the area) no one has ever been underneath the vehicle while this was lifting it up.

That the scissor jack supplied with the car is inferior has since been duly noted. I don't know what VW will do with it when I take it to them next week - they asked me to bring it with me when I called to confirm that I was in fact correct in my use of it (they have confirmed this) and I'll be doing that next week.

So, other than falling foul of a few people who felt the need to throw their weight around when it comes to what they know, I'm failing to see what the issue here is - all I did was ask a perfectly harmless question.

I've quoted your first post to remind you of what you stated as you appear to have forgotten looking at your above posts..

By stating that you:-"but do possess the intellectual capacity with a Higher in Physics to know what forces do when they're not placed at 90 degree angles."..

Considering your first post & that you have been using this jack on the front jack points as you latter state, you should have known better if you have a higher in Physics as you state..

Also by jacking one side high enough to change a tyre you actually only have two points of contact as the other point on the jacked side is very unloaded & not making proper contact...

Trying to compare jacking a Range Rover to this is not correct as with those cars the 4WD system makes the weight more evenly balance front to rear...your car is very nose heavy..Plus most people on the RR forums recommend ditching the factory spare jack (scissor) & buying a bottle jack of 2 or 3tonne rating..

Regardless of what interpretation you or I place on the green marker on the jack data sticker, i.e. only using the rear point, or only placing the jack next to the wheel to be changed.... the fact remains that it is easier & places less strain on the jack using the lighter end of the car...if you or your father have no idea about this considering your qualifications & car experience, you have both learnt something new today....as time & experience will hopefully give you more knowledge.

If you want to blindly do things the way you or your father have always done things that's fine...but don't have a go when its proven you have not followed what others have known about for decades, even in the UK!....

P.S. have you had the car from new & do you know the jacks history 100%?

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
OMFG it just gets better :ROFLMAO:

So in summary...

• OP does something anyone who has worked on cars for more than 5 minutes knows is very dangerous
  • Brags that his engineer dad saw no problem with it
  • Comes into a group of car enthusiasts thinking he's Captain Save a Mechanic
  • Is "Underwhelmed" when he isn't welcomed as the white knight he thinks he is
  • Brags about his 10+ years as an IT professional
  • Tells us we have small dicks, when every one of his posts oozes incel energy
  • Needs time to write yet another closing post...because now he's "won the argument"
I really hope OP is a teenager. If you really are a grown ass man, see a therapist. Your fragile ego is sad, really.

1622736201913.jpg

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Is there a good compact jack anyone can recommend? My fear is getting a flat along the freeway and having to use an unpaved shoulder to work on coupled with strong gusts of wind from passing semi's. maybe a small bottle jack?

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
I've quoted your first post to remind you of what you stated as you appear to have forgotten looking at your above posts..

By stating that you:-"but do possess the intellectual capacity with a Higher in Physics to know what forces do when they're not placed at 90 degree angles."..

Considering your first post & that you have been using this jack on the front jack points as you latter state, you should have known better if you have a higher in Physics as you state..

Also by jacking one side high enough to change a tyre you actually only have two points of contact as the other point on the jacked side is very unloaded & not making proper contact...

Trying to compare jacking a Range Rover to this is not correct as with those cars the 4WD system makes the weight more evenly balance front to rear...your car is very nose heavy..Plus most people on the RR forums recommend ditching the factory spare jack (scissor) & buying a bottle jack of 2 or 3tonne rating..

Regardless of what interpretation you or I place on the green marker on the jack data sticker, i.e. only using the rear point, or only placing the jack next to the wheel to be changed.... the fact remains that it is easier & places less strain on the jack using the lighter end of the car...if you or your father have no idea about this considering your qualifications & car experience, you have both learnt something new today....as time & experience will hopefully give you more knowledge.

If you want to blindly do things the way you or your father have always done things that's fine...but don't have a go when its proven you have not followed what others have known about for decades, even in the UK!....

P.S. have you had the car from new & do you know the jacks history 100%?
Yes, it was a factory order and I'm the only owner.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Is there a good compact jack anyone can recommend? My fear is getting a flat along the freeway and having to use an unpaved shoulder to work on coupled with strong gusts of wind from passing semi's. maybe a small bottle jack?

I have some timber joist off-cuts 2inch thick by 8inch square which I use as a base & keep in the car...I haven't swapped the factory jack as its ok for its intended usage...I do have two big 3tonne trolley jacks in the garage...

On my first car I bought a cheap 2tonne trolley jack to use at home..small & light.....bottle jacks are good for in the car but still need a good base..

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Yes, it was a factory order and I'm the only owner.

So the car is 2013yr & you've had it from new...& used the jack numerous times over the years...you are well out of any VW warranty...the standard is 3yrs..the extended is 5yrs total...

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
So the car is 2013yr & you've had it from new...& used the jack numerous times over the years...you are well out of any VW warranty...the standard is 3yrs..the extended is 5yrs total...
When did I say that I was expecting anything to be done about it under warranty? VW confirmed the same when I spoke to them about it earlier today - the reason I asked the question was to identify if there was a QC issue I wasn't aware of, turns out there is - it's more general than I was expecting.