GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG or Manual

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, I'd be in an auto for sure if I had that commute.

And hey, can always search for the less traveled roads between downtown and home...which I am accustomed to doing as my other ride is a YZF. ;)

The only way i can do that is the toll road (1.25$) from the dulles airport (which i live 4 miles away from) or same way but go into rental car section, do a u turn at gas station, head back and get into the non toll inner part (lot of people are doing that, but cant justify the risk) then hop on to 495 beltway (theres almost never traffic there) and few exits later im at work and it takes only half an hour, im about half mile close to beltway.

rgiskard

Passed Driver's Ed
I went the DSG. Test drove both, liked both, was on the fence still. Wife wanted auto, so that it is.
Blue 4 Door S. :)

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
Since the R's are not often allowed to be test driven. Is the DSG in a GTI the same as in an R? I have been on manuals for 12 years and dont want to make the switch, but will entertain the idea if i enjoy the driving experience.

Swoope

Ready to race!
Since the R's are not often allowed to be test driven. Is the DSG in a GTI the same as in an R? I have been on manuals for 12 years and dont want to make the switch, but will entertain the idea if i enjoy the driving experience.

they are allowed to be test driven, that is a dealer choice. the transmission is the same, but the gearing is different..

the gti has longer gearing. which means the R will accelerate faster, but in top gear it will be running more rpm. less mpg. but not by much..

beers

mechtibs

Ready to race!
The way I see this whole manual vs dsg/auto is buy what you want. But nothing will replace the feel of a manual.
The only time i'll ever take a auto over a manual is in a 18 wheeler, rush hour traffic sucks when you have 18 gears to go through 3000 times a day lol. But even then if you get stuck in a auto its 10x's harder to get unstuck with a auto then in a manual.

Lee_fr200

Ready to race!
I've been driving 15 yrs and had some performance cars with manuals and I love manuals but I've gone and ordered dsg

2 reasons I spend quite abit of time on motorways in 6th anyway so a manual isn't needed
And secondly I'm kinda thinking into the future my car will be probably worth more and easier to sell with dsg as every other person these days wants autos

I still get my manual fix though with my van and can hoon around in that if I miss a manual too much

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
This is sort of like "brunettes or blondes?" or "Coke or Pepsi," isn't it? Me, I like the manual transmissions. Been driving one for thirty years now. I appreciate the DSG as engineering, and really, I wouldn't like jump off a cliff if I had to have one. It rocks. But for my personal satisfaction, the clutch is important. I'm not at all concerned that it's not as fast as someone else's DSG; my R gets up and goes well enough for me on the roads I drive. And I'm lucky enough to live in a rural state (Vermont) that has like 600,000 people total. So, no bumper to bumper grinds like when I lived in the DC area or Atlanta.

But really, as people have said, get what you like, and enjoy.

georgiatechME

Ready to race!
A minor reason I chose the 6mt was for cost savings when purchasing the vehicle. That extra $1000+ helped a lot. However, if you ever plan on going stage 2, you'll need to upgrade the clutch on the 6mt which will also be close to $1000.

That being said, I love my manual. Get a better clutch stop and perform the bleeder valve fix and it's golden. The DSG is an incredible transmission as well. You can't go wrong :).

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
A minor reason I chose the 6mt was for cost savings when purchasing the vehicle. That extra $1000+ helped a lot. However, if you ever plan on going stage 2, you'll need to upgrade the clutch on the 6mt which will also be close to $1000.

That being said, I love my manual. Get a better clutch stop and perform the bleeder valve fix and it's golden. The DSG is an incredible transmission as well. You can't go wrong :).

Georgia Tech, eh? UGA '82, '94. I sometimes wish I could still get riled up about rooting against Tech, but, eh, it's been too long! And too many of my friends went there I guess. :)

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
Couldn't help but note the outcome in this news story ...... :D

COLUMBIA, S.C. (WIS) May 12, 2021 - The Richland County Sheriff’s Department has arrested a man and a woman in connection with the armed robbery of two pizza delivery drivers. <Snip> In the first incident, the suspects drove away from the scene in the victim’s vehicle. In the second incident, (the suspects) were unable to take the victim’s vehicle because neither knew how to operate a manual. <Snip> [End]

Fourflys

Car(s)
2016 Autobahn DSG
Since the R's are not often allowed to be test driven.
What, what?

If I'm going to drop enough money to purchase a car, you better believe I'm going to test drive it! I can understand a dealer not letting someone come in and test drive within the first 5 minutes maybe, but... Plus, while the R is an awesome car, it's far from the most powerful car in that price range... imagine someone coming in to look at Mustang GT and the salesperson saying they can't test drive it?!

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Yeah, but mustangs kill crowds of people in the wrong hands.