GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI is gone and the replacement is here

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Aside from my Acura, my Audi S6 was the most reliable car I've ever had. I also put a boatload of miles on the office Grand Caravan with no issues. I hated the Grand Caravan but it was reliable. I also spent some time in a Pacifica and it wasn't bad at all.
Looks like we have another person who enjoyed his minivan even though you didnt own it :)

Its mostly to do with the perception of the general public who are least bothered on what they drive. I get a lot of comments, oh you own a Dodge! Brands which are suppose to be reliable have tons of issues in their mainstream vehicles but still people buy them with closed eyes.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
I have few colleagues who wouldnt even consider anything outside a particular brand. Most of my vehicles have been VAG ones so far and its always nice to explore different brands. I haven't had any of my vehicles for a very long time and didnt not experience anything bitter with VW / Dodge vehicles, touchwood.
That's just how peoples are around here. They have family that worked(s) for a certain company so they stick with it for life. I'm actually surprised though how many VAG cars there are around right after the big three

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
That's just how peoples are around here. They have family that worked(s) for a certain company so they stick with it for life. I'm actually surprised though how many VAG cars there are around right after the big three
Yeah, very much. I have seen people just leasing same model over and over again.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
When I was in college I traded my Honda accord to my mom for her Honda odyssey. The 06 odyssey with the captains chairs and automated doors was a beast! Such a smooth and powerful engine for a vehicle that size, and with all the seats down/removed the space inside was seriously cavernous. I transported 4 mountain bikes and 3 other people, with gear, inside of the van (no bike mounts) to a trail 2 hrs away, and everyone was more than comfy. That was also the only vehicle I've ever driven where an 18 hr drive didn't exhaust me and cause back pain.

Anyone who looks down on minivans is not a true car enthusiast, just someone obsessed with image.

Great choices in vehicles! All the best ones have quirks! The RT was a good choice. My friend has an srt and it's just random misfire city with those things. The RT is definitely more reliable I think.

cb1111

I think it is a sign of the times that a dealer doesn't even need to bother with spending a few minutes cleaning a car up or removing plastic seat protectors before taking pictures. Two minutes with a bottle of Aerospace 303 would have made those marks disappear entirely.

1619286914694.png

and it would have taken a split second to remove the plastic for the photo

1619287137667.png

Mels15GTI

Ready to race!
I went from a mk7 GTI, fbo EQT tuned to a scat pack challenger, I did that back in December, I looked a vroom & carvana because of the crazy market, vroom offered me 43 on a car I bought for 40. It’s tempting, but I would just be looking to buy another at the end of the year, I think I’d be looking at a similar vehicle that would likely cost me more.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
When I was in college I traded my Honda accord to my mom for her Honda odyssey. The 06 odyssey with the captains chairs and automated doors was a beast! Such a smooth and powerful engine for a vehicle that size, and with all the seats down/removed the space inside was seriously cavernous. I transported 4 mountain bikes and 3 other people, with gear, inside of the van (no bike mounts) to a trail 2 hrs away, and everyone was more than comfy. That was also the only vehicle I've ever driven where an 18 hr drive didn't exhaust me and cause back pain.

Anyone who looks down on minivans is not a true car enthusiast, just someone obsessed with image.

Great choices in vehicles! All the best ones have quirks! The RT was a good choice. My friend has an srt and it's just random misfire city with those things. The RT is definitely more reliable I think.

Glad that you had a great experience with Odyssey. Yeah Durango RT had the best of both worlds, plenty of power disposal and also reliable.

There are several misconceptions in general: Past - real cars would not have a turbo in it, Present: enthusiast would drive only manuals. Personally, I wanted to have a manual vehicle in my garage at any time but I ended up having a knee issue and didnt have an option of driving a manual. Never in my life i wanted to have a minivan but i am driving one now. I guess people mature with time and experience. An enthusiast is not defined by what he drives but who he is.

Last edited:

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I think it is a sign of the times that a dealer doesn't even need to bother with spending a few minutes cleaning a car up or removing plastic seat protectors before taking pictures. Two minutes with a bottle of Aerospace 303 would have made those marks disappear entirely.

I was pretty much saying the exact same thing to my wife earlier. That would be the only spot in the vehicle which i wouldnt want to capture in the picture. I was planning to clean everything up in the summer but ended up selling the vehicle before that.

My experience with them was very professional. I wish they had put in a little effort before taking these pictures.

I went from a mk7 GTI, fbo EQT tuned to a scat pack challenger, I did that back in December, I looked a vroom & carvana because of the crazy market, vroom offered me 43 on a car I bought for 40. It’s tempting, but I would just be looking to buy another at the end of the year, I think I’d be looking at a similar vehicle that would likely cost me more.

Thats a big transition. Financially it would not make sense, if you want to buy another vehicle as a replacement in the coming months.

Current market is definitely crazy and i dont think can sustain for a long time. Hopefully everything settles down and inventory builds up in the near future.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Ah, sorry to see the GTI go. Seems like ya just got it and were back. Glad to hear you're gonna stick around and check in from time to time. Incidentely, my all time favorite Dodge was the Charger I Ubered miscreants around in. I threw all kinds of abuse at it and she always bounced back. Never let me down and got me to the scene of the crime in seconds flat. Loved that car. In an Exploder now. it's ok, gets the job done, albeit emotionlessly. No one should poo poo the soccer mom vans. Had an 04 Quest with a VQ35DE that could (relatively) haul ass. Comfy and could hold 6 adults no sweat, 4 of them in their own chairs. Electric doors were the bomb too. Nice ride for what it was.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI

Really no need to when vehicles are flying off the lot right now. The faster they get pictures up the better chance of it selling sooner rather than later

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Ah, sorry to see the GTI go. Seems like ya just got it and were back. Glad to hear you're gonna stick around and check in from time to time. Incidentely, my all time favorite Dodge was the Charger I Ubered miscreants around in. I threw all kinds of abuse at it and she always bounced back. Never let me down and got me to the scene of the crime in seconds flat. Loved that car. In an Exploder now. it's ok, gets the job done, albeit emotionlessly. No one should poo poo the soccer mom vans. Had an 04 Quest with a VQ35DE that could (relatively) haul ass. Comfy and could hold 6 adults no sweat, 4 of them in their own chairs. Electric doors were the bomb too. Nice ride for what it was.
Memories with both MK7s would stay with us for a very long time.

Dodge offers some great products even though they have a taboo attached to the name. Lot of PDs in our area have Chargers and i see how they are driven around. Glad to hear that you had some great experience as well. Also thank you for the service!
Di

did you end up giving the GTI back to the same dealer or Carvana/Vroom?

Sold it to Carvana, its yet to show up in their webpage.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
That's one of the few cars I would consider selling my car (same mods) for. How's the difference in power?