GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

“Nice GTI”..........It’s an R!!!!!!!

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I've gotten a few compliments from strangers on my GTI with stock wheels that are plasti dipped. Does this mean they're actually aftermarket? SICK! :LOL:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I've gotten a few compliments from strangers on my GTI with stock wheels that are plasti dipped. Does this mean they're actually aftermarket? SICK! :LOL:
no it means they couldn't see the wheels anymore and just assumed the black shadows meant the car was floating... lol - even non car people love future floating cars.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Eh, just illustrates why I don't go to any VW meets. Just a bunch of dudes with $25k economy cars circle jerking over the fact that they have an extra .2L lol

What about my hard parking!!?

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
In my hometown I rarely see any newer GTIs. There is one R that I have seen multiple times. 80% of the vehicles here are SUVs and trucks. Most people are clueless as to what any of the Golfs are. In my DPB SE people look dumbfounded when I open the sunroof while they are waiting in traffic behind me. Cracks me up every time.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Every other car here is a golf it seems. Usually only mean mugs or “pretending not to see/hear you” from other VW drivers. Some guys are cool though and wanna chat at lights and drive thrus. Lots of Camrys who think they’re retroactively stock cars all of a sudden around here. I use to not even bother with Toyotas now I enjoy stepping on their fantasies.

But muh Autozone TRD stickers! 😭

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I get everyone’s point. I love my R and love the sleeper vibe. I’m actually not irritated at all when people confuse it for a GTI. I overemphasized my frustration.
Enough to make a post complaining about it lol

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
I'd like to chime in that when I bought my car at a Honda dealer which was in the show room, there was also a white R right next to it. 2019 with 9k miles on it. I asked the dealer, why the heck he trade it in so new with barely any mileage? He said the previous owner complained it lacked style for what he paid and went with a Civic R. I'm like, wow, big change really. Like if you go from a Golf to a Civic R, you seriously didn't know what you wanted because they're so different in looks that it's crazy.

Yet, I understand him. The R is really lacking for the price when it comes down maybe "showing off" what you paid for? I'm not sure but again, going on this topic, if you don't know golfs, you wouldn't know the "R" cost 40k+ new. You might feel good owning one around VW heads but otherwise, nobody else would probably care or know whereas a person sees this rice rocket coming down the street with the hood scoop, giant rear wing, crazy wheels and they immediately think, wow, he must of paid a fortune! lol.

miikez.

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GSW 4mo 6MT
I'd like to chime in that when I bought my car at a Honda dealer which was in the show room, there was also a white R right next to it. 2019 with 9k miles on it. I asked the dealer, why the heck he trade it in so new with barely any mileage? He said the previous owner complained it lacked style for what he paid and went with a Civic R. I'm like, wow, big change really. Like if you go from a Golf to a Civic R, you seriously didn't know what you wanted because they're so different in looks that it's crazy.

Yet, I understand him. The R is really lacking for the price when it comes down maybe "showing off" what you paid for? I'm not sure but again, going on this topic, if you don't know golfs, you wouldn't know the "R" cost 40k+ new. You might feel good owning one around VW heads but otherwise, nobody else would probably care or know whereas a person sees this rice rocket coming down the street with the hood scoop, giant rear wing, crazy wheels and they immediately think, wow, he must of paid a fortune! lol.
I'd rather "lack" style than be over-styled. Those civics look ridiculous. That guys was never cut out for a VW anyways.

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
I'd rather "lack" style than be over-styled. Those civics look ridiculous. That guys was never cut out for a VW anyways.

I agree. I think Car and Driver also did a comparison between the R and Focus RS and said they would pick the RS over the R based on price and looks. They found the R too tame in looks for the price point. To each their own but it is a valid point.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

And that's exactly why I love it. No show at all. Don't want to be seen. Don't want would be thieves to know. Don't want to show off