GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The COVID19 SCAMdemic... Economy So Strong That eBay Hard Up For Business

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
"Rin" comes from some South American countries. I'm Puerto Rican, and we say "aros" for wheels. Mexicans use the same word, as far as I'm aware. We call tires "gomas", but Mexicans and much of Central America call them "llantas". However, some South American countries use "llantas" for wheels! I've heard Spaniards and some South Americans call tires "neumáticos", but that's a super formal word. Many South American countries also say "ruedas" for tires. Dunno what the Cubans say -- paging Dr. @Keehs360

Spanish is a mess.
We also say aros

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Ok, @jay745. Could you please educate myself and label the 3 items below?

1614894217589.png
1614894203965.png
1614894232057.png

I think this forums is filled with tons of knowledge, I'm always open to learning new things.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
What the hells wrong with calling wheels rims? Isn't that what they are?
Strike 1!
To me, wheels are the complete package. Tire + Rim = Wheel.

Am I wrong?
Strike 2!
Strike 3! You're out!

The rim is the edge or outside of the wheel that mates with the tire. The middle is the disk/hub/"center". Rim + disk = wheel. If you ordered a "rim" from BBS, you'd just get the outside.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Strike 1!

Strike 2!

Strike 3! You're out!

The rim is the edge or outside of the wheel that mates with the tire. The middle is the disk/hub/"center". Rim + disk = wheel. If you ordered a "rim" from BBS, you'd just get the outside.
Bullshit!

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Reactions: WAP

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
3rd is a wheel with a tire on it.

^tire mounted to a wheel

I feel feel calling it "A wheel with a tire mounted on it" is like calling a sandwich "some bread with meat and cheese between it". It's just long and drawn out.

If the rim\wheel part without a tire is going to be referred to as a "wheel", I think the sum of the components (in this case, wheel + tire), needs a separate nomenclature.

I purpose "roundy-rolley".

Can we all agree on that at least?

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
"Rin" comes from some South American countries. I'm Puerto Rican, and we say "aros" for wheels. Mexicans use the same word, as far as I'm aware. We call tires "gomas", but Mexicans and much of Central America call them "llantas". However, some South American countries use "llantas" for wheels! I've heard Spaniards and some South Americans call tires "neumáticos", but that's a super formal word. Many South American countries also say "ruedas" for tires. Dunno what the Cubans say -- paging Dr. @Keehs360

Spanish is a mess.

We also say aros
Interesting, almost all the posts I see around dfw use rines. Hadn’t heard aros before, isnt that rice 😂