GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
does the car need to flat in order to perform the diff service? i wanna say i saw a video before saying that it needs to be, but i can't remember for sure...i know it needs to be at a certain temp
Yes. It should be level.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
does the car need to flat in order to perform the diff service? i wanna say i saw a video before saying that it needs to be, but i can't remember for sure...i know it needs to be at a certain temp
yes, since you use the fill plug that's horizontal as the gauge of being "full" if the car is tilted to far back you can under fill and too far forward you can over fill.

also - do the tin foil method for a path of travel route when draining cause its messy otherwise as it hits the subframe and travels all over.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Basically, the answer is yes. You don't say what you need to service. Is it the DSG transmission, manual transmission, or front Haldex in the PP, but all need for the car to be fairly level when the service is done.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I’ve always used turtle wax ice interior and protectant. It’s cheap as hell. And over the years, nothing comes close to actually performing as good as ice or better. Except this one thing that zaino had back in the day.

whatever. So my question. Got some small wrinkles on my steering wheel. What conditioner is worth using? Something that will allow me to layer the ice stuff over it a day later would be great. Thanks!

PS not looking to change from ice. It can be had for like 6 dollars. It lasts longer than any of meguires shit. The protective layer lasts even longer than 303’s over priced junk. So please, I’m happy with ice.

cb1111

I’ve always used turtle wax ice interior and protectant. It’s cheap as hell. And over the years, nothing comes close to actually performing as good as ice or better. Except this one thing that zaino had back in the day.

whatever. So my question. Got some small wrinkles on my steering wheel. What conditioner is worth using? Something that will allow me to layer the ice stuff over it a day later would be great. Thanks!

PS not looking to change from ice. It can be had for like 6 dollars. It lasts longer than any of meguires shit. The protective layer lasts even longer than 303’s over priced junk. So please, I’m happy with ice.
Nothing cheap. Leatherique rejuvenator/cleaner is probably the best stuff out there but expensive. If you were in the area, then I'd give a damp rag full to do your wheel.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Nothing cheap. Leatherique rejuvenator/cleaner is probably the best stuff out there but expensive. If you were in the area, then I'd give a damp rag full to do your wheel.
I can get it from my brother in law. He swears by it. I wanted to make sure considering, for some reason, every oem’s leather is different.

any tips or tricks with the leatherique? When can I use the ice protector afterwards? A full 24 hours ok?

thnx!

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
Good morning fellow GTI owners! I have a BFI stage 1 motor mount on the way. I already have the stage 1 dog bone mount installed and was wondering if there is any harm in adding the motor mount while keep the OEM transmission mount in?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Good morning fellow GTI owners! I have a BFI stage 1 motor mount on the way. I already have the stage 1 dog bone mount installed and was wondering if there is any harm in adding the motor mount while keep the OEM transmission mount in?
There's no harm but why aren't you changing the trans mount at the same time? The trans mount usually gets weak before the engine mount.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
May not be harmful but that last remaining factory mount is going to get destroyed sooner.

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
There's no harm but why aren't you changing the trans mount at the same time? The trans mount usually gets weak before the engine mount.
Just how something worked out with an order with BFI. I am in no rush to get it installed as I plan on getting the transmission mount as well, so I will just wait until I have both and get them installed at the same time. Thanks guys!

cb1111

I can get it from my brother in law. He swears by it. I wanted to make sure considering, for some reason, every oem’s leather is different.

any tips or tricks with the leatherique? When can I use the ice protector afterwards? A full 24 hours ok?

thnx!
Leatherique is a pain to use, but works great. It is a two part system and to really do it right, you want to do it warm weather (but you can cheat it Colorado).

This is counter-intuitive but the Rejuvenator is used before the cleaner.

Put your car where it will get sun - lots of sun.

Put Rejuvenator on your steering wheel (or seat or whatever you want to clean).

Put a trash bag over your wheel. Close up the car and let it steam all day.

Use an old white towel (white so you can see al the crap it takes off and won't transfer anything) to wipe it off.

Slather on Pristine Clean (the second part) and let it sit for a couple of hours before you wipe it off.

Unless you've got actual physical damage (tears for example), then your leathers will look pretty close to new.

Re-do it every 6 months or so.

I told you it was a pain in the ass.

D.Gage

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Gti
Which gauge are you guys going off of before you start hooning around? I didn’t realize until recently that the center one wasn’t even displaying a temp while the other was showing the car was warmed up.

Attachments

• D90548CA-60B1-4A46-BA8F-932CA6AB61ED.jpeg
    D90548CA-60B1-4A46-BA8F-932CA6AB61ED.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 71

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Which gauge are you guys going off of before you start hooning around? I didn’t realize until recently that the center one wasn’t even displaying a temp while the other was showing the car was warmed up.
Oil Temp from the center.

The analog gauge will peg center about a halfway to the freeway from my house for me, and I won't even be reading 120 on the oil temp by then. I normally wait till around 180+ before I start going over 3K and 205+ before I start dropping the pedal.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
i don't think you can prove it but traditional wisdom is wait till oil temp is about 180 or so before hooning. It also is a good idea to avoid driving hard and putting it away wet. Not unlike stretching before exercise and cool down afterwards

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
They're showing two different things. One is a dummy gauge that roughly shows the coolant temp and the screen is showing your oil temp.

Side note: There must be multiple engine temp sensors because the ap3 will show a slightly different/higher number than the dash

Last edited: