GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unitronic Stage 1 Vs Stage 2 - worth it?

jeffdemara

Ready to race!
I just went Unitronic Stage 1 on my stock Golf, and it definitely wakes up the car, but I still want more.

Will doing a downpipe and jumping up to Stage 2 with my stock IS12 turbo really make THAT much difference in terms of performance and feeling? Unitronic only shows a 15hp and 18tq increase from Stage 1 on their graph, which doesn’t seem like much...

Or, is it really only worth it to jump up to the “Stage 2 IS20” and do both downpipe AND turbo at the same time?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Not worth it. Do an IS20 or 38 with a DP.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Figured so. This Unitronic Stage 1 tune is underwhelming to be honest. My best 0-60 I could get is 7.04 sec with Dragy.

dude not only should you not get a Stage 2 IS12 tune, you shouldn’t get any more tunes from Uni. They’re underwhelming.

the APR 87 octane IS12 Stage 1 tune I have on my otherwise stock 6MT Alltrack is much better than the Unitronic 93 + 91 octane tunes I bought for my previous MK7 GTI, and I also bought a DSG tune for that car which sucked. Uni stopped investing in this platform in like 2017, and APR has continued to update tunes. If you’re going OTS I don’t see any reason to choose Uni over APR, Uniconnect be damned. The convenience isn’t worth a shitty tune that’s not worth the money.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I'd say go APR, UM or IE. APR/UM has IS20/38 support currently and IE will be releasing their IS20 files soon - They're in final testing currently. Depending on Smog in Vancouver, APR has a stock GTI DP file for the IS20 that doesn't mess with readiness.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
dude not only should you not get a Stage 2 IS12 tune, you shouldn’t get any more tunes from Uni. They’re underwhelming.

the APR 87 octane IS12 Stage 1 tune I have on my otherwise stock 6MT Alltrack is much better than the Unitronic 93 + 91 octane tunes I bought for my previous MK7 GTI, and I also bought a DSG tune for that car which sucked. Uni stopped investing in this platform in like 2017, and APR has continued to update tunes. If you’re going OTS I don’t see any reason to choose Uni over APR, Uniconnect be damned. The convenience isn’t worth a shitty tune that’s not worth the money.
My times say otherwise - my Uni tunes are hardly underwhelming on this platform. You are comparing a tune on a different car - the Uni IS38 and 20 tunes were great (to me). The DSG tune I have from them is also fine. Uni bought their 38 tune out in 2019.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Also for reference, a good list of all the current Stage 1 tunes for the 1.8T:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/stage-1-tunes-for-the-mk7-1-8t.377348/

I'm running IE stage 1 91 octane and loving it so far. I have the 6spd slush box triptronic, so it was great for smoothing out D, and S is amazingly torquey. Waiting on their IS20 file to drop, but that gives me time to pick up their DP and debate between their IC or the BMS IC. Plan on sticking IS20 as the wagon is a DD, and IE already doesn't mess with readiness. So worst case would be a DP swap for smog every couple years in CA.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
My times say otherwise - my Uni tunes are hardly underwhelming on this platform. You are comparing a tune on a different car - the Uni IS38 and 20 tunes were great (to me). The DSG tune I have from them is also fine. Uni bought their 38 tune out in 2019.

I admit I’m biased. But my experience was seriously underwhelming, and that sucks when you spent $1275 on it. And the stupid $150 cable is VIN locked so you can’t recoup even a little bit on that expense.

jeffdemara

Ready to race!
Also worth noting, our gas up here in BC, Canada SUCKS. We have "Chevron 94" but it's been tested thoroughly to be horrible, and actually not even as good as 92 octane from the USA. So that holds us back from doing the 93oct tunes unless we are always mixing a bit of E85 in tank.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Look at APR or UM then. APR has a 87 file for the IS20 I believe, and UM allows you to set your octane along with other settings. IE does 91/93 only I believe.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Also for reference, a good list of all the current Stage 1 tunes for the 1.8T:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/stage-1-tunes-for-the-mk7-1-8t.377348/

I'm running IE stage 1 91 octane and loving it so far. I have the 6spd slush box triptronic, so it was great for smoothing out D, and S is amazingly torquey. Waiting on their IS20 file to drop, but that gives me time to pick up their DP and debate between their IC or the BMS IC. Plan on sticking IS20 as the wagon is a DD, and IE already doesn't mess with readiness. So worst case would be a DP swap for smog every couple years in CA.

has nobody, released A tune for the slushies yet? Will anyone ever? Is the market really that small, that it’s not worth it for literally anyone? It’s perplexing to me.