GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unitronic Stage 1 Vs Stage 2 - worth it?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
has nobody, released A tune for the slushies yet? Will anyone ever? Is the market really that small, that it’s not worth it for literally anyone? It’s perplexing to me.
IE has one for the MK5/6 2.5Ls, but that's the only AQ250 TCU tune i've seen. Seems like most tuners believe those that went with a slush over manual or DSG are people that don't tend to tune their cars.. Or that is my thought on it. My only complants are the D shift points. 1st is a blip, and it hunts for 4th and 5th way too soon for my liking. S is nice, but hangs on to gears past 3k which is bad for around town MPG.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I'd say go APR, UM or IE. APR/UM has IS20/38 support currently and IE will be releasing their IS20 files soon - They're in final testing currently. Depending on Smog in Vancouver, APR has a stock GTI DP file for the IS20 that doesn't mess with readiness.

I want to go on record as being against IE based on logs I've seen of a stage 1 IE car. The amount of knock was ridiculous. The timing curve was absurd.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Also for reference, a good list of all the current Stage 1 tunes for the 1.8T:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/stage-1-tunes-for-the-mk7-1-8t.377348/

I'm running IE stage 1 91 octane and loving it so far. I have the 6spd slush box triptronic, so it was great for smoothing out D, and S is amazingly torquey. Waiting on their IS20 file to drop, but that gives me time to pick up their DP and debate between their IC or the BMS IC. Plan on sticking IS20 as the wagon is a DD, and IE already doesn't mess with readiness. So worst case would be a DP swap for smog every couple years in CA.

Have you logged it? I've seen a 2.0 log where it was pulling 8 degrees of timing! 8! 8!!!

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I want to go on record as being against IE based on logs I've seen of a stage 1 IE car. The amount of knock was ridiculous. The timing curve was absurd.
Interesting, this would be the first i've heard of it.
Have you logged it? I've seen a 2.0 log where it was pulling 8 degrees of timing! 8! 8!!!
Not yet, but now I'm curious to do so. I have their powerlink cable which I know can show logs in datazap, as well as VCDS (Hex-net). I can pull some logs I believe tonight with the IE tool. I'll need to look up how to set it up with VCDS.

Edit: I assume a 3rd gear pull from rolling as low as I can get it to stay in 3rd with the slush box?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Interesting, this would be the first i've heard of it.

Not yet, but now I'm curious to do so. I have their powerlink cable which I know can show logs in datazap, as well as VCDS (Hex-net). I can pull some logs I believe tonight with the IE tool. I'll need to look up how to set it up with VCDS.

Edit: I assume a 3rd gear pull from rolling as low as I can get it to stay in 3rd with the slush box?

like 2700-2800 or so in 3rd.. Go as far as safe, but at least 6000 is best. I really hope the 1.8 tune is not like the 2.0 I saw. The 2.0 tune was from when they first released their tunes. It was bad enough that he got a refund and went Cobb. If you search around, I think I posted a screenshot somewhere of the timing curve.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
dude not only should you not get a Stage 2 IS12 tune, you shouldn’t get any more tunes from Uni. They’re underwhelming.

the APR 87 octane IS12 Stage 1 tune I have on my otherwise stock 6MT Alltrack is much better than the Unitronic 93 + 91 octane tunes I bought for my previous MK7 GTI, and I also bought a DSG tune for that car which sucked. Uni stopped investing in this platform in like 2017, and APR has continued to update tunes. If you’re going OTS I don’t see any reason to choose Uni over APR, Uniconnect be damned. The convenience isn’t worth a shitty tune that’s not worth the money.
I’ve heard this before myself a bunch here.

how are integrated engineering’s tunes? It won’t be for a golf or gti. I think I’m picking up a used alltrack

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I’ve heard this before myself a bunch here.

how are integrated engineering’s tunes? It won’t be for a golf or gti. I think I’m picking up a used alltrack

no idea. read up a few posts - dude said he's seen logs on a stage 1 GTI that were seeing 8 degrees KR

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
no idea. read up a few posts - dude said he's seen logs on a stage 1 GTI that were seeing 8 degrees KR

And their first stage 1 tunes also disabled the ECU cold start routines which resulted in instant fail for emissions testing. That's some 🤡 shit. I don't trust any company to tune my car if they let that happen.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
And their first stage 1 tunes also disabled the ECU cold start routines which resulted in instant fail for emissions testing. That's some 🤡 shit. I don't trust any company to tune my car if they let that happen.
Ah, thats weird.

IE's current stance on their tunes is they don't touch emissions or readiness at all. I just read a post on FB through their support group about emissions, and it specifically mentioned cold start routines and additional air supply.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Love my IE tune so far. I'll pull a log tonight and run it through datazap. Stage 1 91 octane with a 6spd slush.
Plz share the link with me if you can?

I’d like to support a local vw shop. They’re an ie dealer. Plus I want to put together an alltrack for rally x. Nothing crazy, just stage 1 and Bolt ons. I’ll be focusing more on the haldex and forcing 50/50

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Ah, thats weird.

IE's current stance on their tunes is they don't touch emissions or readiness at all. I just read a post on FB through their support group about emissions, and it specifically mentioned cold start routines and additional air supply.

I think someone messed up the early tunes. Absolutely redic. Both cars I'm talking about are locals which I know personally. Not stuff I read on the internet.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I think someone messed up the early tunes. Absolutely redic. Both cars I'm talking about are locals which I know personally. Not stuff I read on the internet.
Gotcha. I think they may have changed too when the EPA started cracking down on stuff and APR pulled their stage 2 stuff. Currently they state they don't touch readiness or emissions at all with their tunes, which is why I picked them - well that and I could flash myself.

I'll start a new post and share my log after I run it through datazap. Currently stock other than snow guard removal and some cosmetic and suspension mods.