GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Researching Exhaust Options

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Hi All,

I have been patiently waiting to modify my car for the past few years and I have slowly been compiling ideas to enhance my car’s features and performance. As of now I have installed an Ingen SP Series Short Ram CAI, Helix Projector Headlights w/ red strip, ECS Tuning Wheel spacers and Front and Rear Red GTI Emblems. I am now on the lookout for a new exhaust to compliment the intake.

For the record, I owned a 2012 V6 Mustang before the GTI and I absolutely ADORED that car because installing certain items was very simple and somewhat inexpensive. For example I was able to avoid what was considered the “big brand” names for an exhaust such as Borla or magnaflow, which in my opinion was overpriced tin metal. Instead, I did some thorough research and found a very small company down in Texas called “Trident Motorsports” that specifically made a few axleback exhausts for the V6 and V8 Mustangs. Not only was the quality better than other options I looked it, it was 2/3 of the price and the sound was INCREDIBLE for a V6!.

That being said, I realize that I probably won’t be able to avoid big brand names for this BUT if I can find one that can meet the above criteria (Good quality, decent price, excellent sound) then I’m all ears. My realistic budget is between $500-$1,000, not trying to go too crazy in terms of a full exhaust system, I like the idea of keeping things simple with an axleback (for now).

Bonus question: I’m due for new tires in 2021 and I cannot stand the pirelli’s I have on it now. I had Michelin Super Sports on the other car and they were outstanding, if they have the size for my car then I’ll gladly grab them again. HOWEVER, I wouldn’t mind hearing similar recommendations (OEM 18”X 7.5”, 225/40 R18).

Looking forward to speaking to everyone!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'm not aware of anyone making what you would call a budget catback. You got lucky that a local shop made an exhaust for your Mustang. One of the most popular tires is the Michelin PSAS 4.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I'm not aware of anyone making what you would call a budget catback. You got lucky that a local shop made an exhaust for your Mustang. One of the most popular tires is the Michelin PSAS 4.

I have been eyeballing NT05 for my next set of rubber. Tired of not having enough traction in 1st and 2nd.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
$500 - $1000 for an exhaust is plenty, even when dabbling with the "big" names. If you don't have plans to get an aftermarket downpipe and tune for it, you can get an AWE Track Exhaust for under $700 on sale.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I could only get traction in 3rd when those were warm. Toyo r888r is my next tire.

Thanks for the insight, I have that same problem now with GMaxx RS. I have read heat cycling can be an issue with the r888 causing them to harden over time and lose their grip. Looks like I need to do some reading on the r888r. Do you daily your GTI?

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI

VERY lucky, I was fed up with how the big brand exhausts sounded so I went the extra mile and searched “custom exhaust“ on YouTube. Apparently a few people bought from Trident already and it was a home run

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
If you want a cheap exhaust pick up a Vibrant 17950, a Borla Pro XS muffler, and have a good muffler shop fab you up a 3” cat back exhaust. Should come in well under $1000 even with good SS. I got a 3” midpipe made up for my car with the Vibrant res for $100 IIRC.

I recommend the Michelin PS4S (summer), AS4 (all season), or the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s (summer) for tires.

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
If you want a cheap exhaust pick up a Vibrant 17950, a Borla Pro XS muffler, and have a good muffler shop fab you up a 3” cat back exhaust. Should come in well under $1000 even with good SS. I got a 3” midpipe made up for my car with the Vibrant res for $100 IIRC.

I recommend the Michelin PS4S (summer), AS4 (all season), or the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s (summer) for tires.

This is a good idea, I’ll look into this as well. ALSO, need to know where you got those rims, ive been searching for that style for quite a bit

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
This is a good idea, I’ll look into this as well. ALSO, need to know where you got those rims, ive been searching for that style for quite a bit

Which ones are you curious about? The ones in my profile pic are 19” VW Pretoria wheels, and they can be found often in the classifieds here and on Facebook. Mine are not OEM finish though, these are the lightest shade of “Hyper Black”. The 18” Audi wheels on my car now (winter set) can be found here. They are also not OEM finish. They have been powder coated “Porsche Silver” and ceramic coated since I’ve owned them. I traded my Austins for them on Facebook, and they are the only set I’ve seen for sale.

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Which ones are you curious about? The ones in my profile pic are 19” VW Pretoria wheels, and they can be found often in the classifieds here and on Facebook. Mine are not OEM finish though, these are the lightest shade of “Hyper Black”. The 18” Audi wheels on my car now (winter set) can be found here. They are also not OEM finish. They have been powder coated “Porsche Silver” and ceramic coated since I’ve owned them. I traded my Austins for them on Facebook, and they are the only set I’ve seen for sale.

The Pretorias, the style is very ideal. I’ll take a look at the winter set as well. What does the set usually go for?

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
The Pretorias, the style is very ideal. I’ll take a look at the winter set as well. What does the set usually go for?

They are excellent. I wouldn’t trade them for anything. Maybe except for a set of HRE’s or Titans lol.

It depends. You can find a beat up set for $800-900ish with no tires. If you want a really nice set with no tires you're looking at $1100ish. With tires is $1200 plus. They are usually pretty sought after though so you will be paying a pretty penny for them. Or you can do what I did, buy a cheap beat up set, get the rash fixed, and powder coated so they are like new. Great wheel choice either way. Good luck with your search!