GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
H
I always wondered what happens if you total your car on track without purchasing track insurance. I assume you just have a smashed up car you still gotta pay for

He had insurance on both Vettes, but I can tell you what happens when you wreck a car at an autocross. A good friend of mine and his wife were running an 05 STi in BSP on Hoosiers. Had a mechanical issue and they both did their runs at the end of the group back to back. He's going for it on his last run, on over heated hoosiers, gets it crazy sideways, stays in it and tries to save it. Next thing, he's frantically braking on grass headed for timing trailer. He drove up the ramp, through the left side wall of the trailer and hit two parked cars. $8000 in damages to his car. The clubs insurance paid for the trailer and damage to the other two cars, then sued him for $5000.

They never autocrossed again, but he did take up mountain biking and broke a bunch of bones, so he got that.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
He had insurance on both Vettes, but I can tell you what happens when you wreck a car at an autocross. A good friend of mine and his wife were running an 05 STi in BSP on Hoosiers. Had a mechanical issue and they both did their runs at the end of the group back to back. He's going for it on his last run, on over heated hoosiers, gets it crazy sideways, stays in it and tries to save it. Next thing, he's frantically braking on grass headed for timing trailer. He drove up the ramp, through the left side wall of the trailer and hit two parked cars. $8000 in damages to his car. The clubs insurance paid for the trailer and damage to the other two cars, then sued him for $5000.

They never autocrossed again, but he did take up mountain biking and broke a bunch of bones, so he got that.
All else aside, that seems like an awful layout for a course if the trailer was that close. But then again, a similar "that will never happen" incident happened at solo nats a few years ago

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
All else aside, that seems like an awful layout for a course if the trailer was that close. But then again, a similar "that will never happen" incident happened at solo nats a few years ago

Yep, it was. The club hasn't repeated that mistake, though every 8 or 9 months, I have to remind them not to let people park behind the trailer again too.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Nice driving! Running over curbing and rumbles at NASCAR Bend is just using all the track. I’m guilty of that at Turn 10.😅

Next track season at VIR can’t come soon enough. I’m currently installing a Stoptech BBK, Ground Control camber plates, and a new set of Nitto NT01s

A BBK will make a big difference for you at VIR. I finally got my NT01 tire pressures dialed in. They are lasting a whole lot longer than I thought they would. 12-days and they are only at 50%. Only now just wore off the tread.

That was my first incident at T-3. Turn 10 has been a little more tricky.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
H

I’m thinking I need to start taking out insurance going forward. Margins for error are getting skinny.

On the last day a Porsche blew an oil line on the bridge straight. Fortunately for me I saw the big cloud of smoke and backed off And came into the pits. A 911 a lap back came into the uphill esses and lost the car on the oil slick And ended up in the tires. That could have easily been me.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I’m thinking I need to start taking out insurance going forward. Margins for error are getting skinny.

On the last day a Porsche blew an oil line on the bridge straight. Fortunately for me I saw the big cloud of smoke and backed off And came into the pits. A 911 a lap back came into the uphill esses and lost the car on the oil slick And ended up in the tires. That could have easily been me.

I almost regretted not getting insurance last time a did Daytona. Our last session was at night, in the rain. The car started hydroplaning kind is sideways at 125mph in Nascar turn 4 and I came inches from tapping the wall. A little poop came out. I've bought insurance ever since.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion

My thoughts are, if the car isn’t paid off then insurance is a requirement. My car is paid off and it’s not my daily driver, but If I wreck it on track...I’ll turn it into a dedicated track car.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Some more video

scrllock

Autocross Champion
During my track pad change and brake bleed I checked the front endlinks for contact with the inner fender. No signs of contact at -3.4 degrees.
This may also be partly due to the CSS Swivels.

Sounds like these were a good solution. Without the extra negative camber from the vorshlag plates, do you think you'd have issues with just the superpro LCA and CSS knuckles on the superpro endlinks?

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I believe I was at -2.4 of camber.

The CSS swivels add -1. SuperPro .5 I’m guessing you are around -2 degree.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion

What’s your rear camber setting? I got my camber plates installed and go in for an alignment tomorrow, aiming for -3.5* front camber.
18B56FE6-B644-4E02-A68B-98D471445618.jpeg

scrllock

Autocross Champion

Mostly interested in the endlink clearance issues. Do you think the spherical endlinks were necessary or could you have avoided the issues with the superpros just with less negative camber?

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Mostly interested in the endlink clearance issues. Do you think the spherical endlinks were necessary or could you have avoided the issues with the superpros just with less negative camber?

In my case the PowerGrid endlinks were necessary before I added the CSS Swivels.

I had a slight rub on the Passenger side. With less camber it is possible for them to clear. I cannot say how my less you need. .25 May not be enough but I would think half-degree less may be enough.