GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The COVID19 SCAMdemic... Economy So Strong That eBay Hard Up For Business

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Please explain how Sweden had statistics similar to ours, but they didn't do anything and now there are basically no cases there.

Because that isn't actually true, even if you keep saying it over and over?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
i've heard a 'fair amount' of back and forth about universal basic income (the ~$1k range) and overall, it sounds pretty damn good on the surface. It doesn't really work as a complete income replacement, nor should it. kind of meant to help people who are usually struggling, help those in the middle have a little more, and help the 1% cause why the hell not.

i still don't fully get where the $300 billion would come from every month... because that is what we are talking about, here... but hey it sounds good!

a few key things that this helps with:
* extreme job automation which means a majority of jobs such as cashiers, truck drivers, warehouse, etc go away. these take up some 50% or more of all jobs and are proving to be increasingly easy to automate. like zricks job for example
* having the population continue to increase does not necessarily mean the amount of jobs needed to keep everything moving or growing increases - atleast not 1:1
* partially in sync with automation ^^, we have exponential technology which just makes everything faster, so even those who keep jobs still perform more than in previous time.
* due to how efficient everything is wages still arent going up even though prices are - which is fucked up considering the more efficient something is made, you would think that either goes into the employees pockets or a cheaper product but for the most part it doesn't
* people need to go to school and this could help
* i need an is38 but tend to waste my extra money on other car parts month to month

havent thought too much about the cons; it would probably drive us further away from cash, again it has to 'come from somewhere', wages may stay the same, prices may or may not go up... don't know. but we are on the crest of a new world order of some sort

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
i've heard a 'fair amount' of back and forth about universal basic income (the ~$1k range) and overall, it sounds pretty damn good on the surface. It doesn't really work as a complete income replacement, nor should it.
I dont understand this comment at all. If the businesses are forced to close and people out of work, how is that not intended to be an income replacement? That's basically saying if you work in a place that's forced to close, just go get a different job...
(Since we're a fan of bullet points I'll follow)
  1. Like it's that easy to just go get a different job during a pandemic. Nobody is hiring.
  2. Hypothetically if there were other jobs readily available...Doesn't it defeat the purpose entirely of locking down in the first place?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
i've heard a 'fair amount' of back and forth about universal basic income (the ~$1k range) and overall, it sounds pretty damn good on the surface. It doesn't really work as a complete income replacement, nor should it. kind of meant to help people who are usually struggling, help those in the middle have a little more, and help the 1% cause why the hell not.

i still don't fully get where the $300 billion would come from every month... because that is what we are talking about, here... but hey it sounds good!

a few key things that this helps with:
* extreme job automation which means a majority of jobs such as cashiers, truck drivers, warehouse, etc go away. these take up some 50% or more of all jobs and are proving to be increasingly easy to automate. like zricks job for example
* having the population continue to increase does not necessarily mean the amount of jobs needed to keep everything moving or growing increases - atleast not 1:1
* partially in sync with automation ^^, we have exponential technology which just makes everything faster, so even those who keep jobs still perform more than in previous time.
* due to how efficient everything is wages still arent going up even though prices are - which is fucked up considering the more efficient something is made, you would think that either goes into the employees pockets or a cheaper product but for the most part it doesn't
* people need to go to school and this could help
* i need an is38 but tend to waste my extra money on other car parts month to month

havent thought too much about the cons; it would probably drive us further away from cash, again it has to 'come from somewhere', wages may stay the same, prices may or may not go up... don't know. but we are on the crest of a new world order of some sort

I'd much rather require living wages and publicly fund health care.

Competition will keep prices down and trim profit margins. Right wing talking points that liveable wages lead go losses is complete nonsense. Profit margins have almost tripled since the 80's. Living wages would trim obscene profit margins, not cause job losses. Companies hire people based on work that needs to be completed to meet demand, not based on profits. Those that do that fail. The market will weed them out.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I'm not sure if I am reading your post correctly:

"Companies hire people based on work that needs to be completed to meet demand, not based on profits."

profits and hires are rooted together and you can not separate them.

I may be able to back living wage but would prefer some cap system where you can't pay CEO more than 500x (or some number) the wage of the lowest person.

quick numbers CT min wage = $12 hr x 500 = $6000 hr x 2000 hrs year (50 x 40) = $12,000,000 year. Is ANYONE worth that?

all made up numbers but something along this line

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

"Companies hire people based on work that needs to be completed to meet demand, not based on profits."

I agree with you. Companies aren't hiring if they aren't profitable. Unless there's sudden demand and new hires are necessary to meet that demand.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

So they aren't. First, like I said, profit margins have almost tripled, and companies often operate at a loss for periods of time in order to gain market share.

You've bought into the nonsense that corporate America has been feeding Americans for decades to justify greed and massive income inequality.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
I dont understand this comment at all. If the businesses are forced to close and people out of work, how is that not intended to be an income replacement? That's basically saying if you work in a place that's forced to close, just go get a different job...
(Since we're a fan of bullet points I'll follow)
  1. Like it's that easy to just go get a different job during a pandemic. Nobody is hiring.
  2. Hypothetically if there were other jobs readily available...Doesn't it defeat the purpose entirely of locking down in the first place?
jay, i appreciate your use of bullet points!

The idea of UBI started way before C-19 (i'm sure you know this, just reiterating). And C-19 should & would be in addition to the UBI, at least to those that are actually unemployed due to C-19 currently - or something like that.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
good points fan99. i can agree with you that jobs are only made based on demand.

And just to ride those tailcoats, i think as technology keeps replacing jobs, or making remaining jobs much more productive, there will be less demand for people, leaving many with literally nowhere to work, or atleast nowhere meaningfully, nor for good $.

The obvious only solution is do as zrick says - let C-19 ride its course naturally, weeding out a large swathe of the population, so that we have less hungry mouths to feed with UBI.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
And my comments aren't taking C19 into account, I'm all for government support of the unemployed during the pandemic. I'm not for the stimulus checks that went out, though. Not a fan of the shotgun approach. Targeted relief makes more sense.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Just found this picture
1606152359847.png

1606152383628.png