GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Apr stage 1 low or high tq?

flaming_panda31

Car(s)
2016 mk7 gti
Hello I've decided to to finally go for stage one I'm getting the dsg tune as well so thats not a factor I just can't decide if I want the higher tq tune or not.

What id like to know is if theirs a significant difference in the 0-60 and 0-100 time.

if i remember right tourqe is the ability to do work and hp is the total amount of work that can be done. So I would assume the high tq is faster for acceleration.

My other concern is wheelspin I've just got a base gti so no limited slip for me I already have some wheelspin from launch in first on some decent performances all seasons. Would the high tq have more wheelspin? And would it possible make it undrivable ( id like to get able to floor it in second atleast)

Thanks for any info

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
I can't comment on the 0-60 time, but I can say that the more torque you have the easier it will be for the car to knock the tires off. The torque will make a bigger difference in acceleration in a gear where the engine has more time to pull (3rd and 4th). Compared to stock either the normal tune or the high torque tune will spin the tires more.

If you want to have your cake and eat it too I highly suggest upgraded motor and transmission mounts. These will eliminate wheel hop and help traction out of the hole significantly.

“Undriveable” is relative. Some people on here spin all the way through third gear and still daily drive their cars. Undriveable really is up to you. I spin pretty good in second with all seasons and motor/trans mounts but I put over 10,000 miles on my car each year without a hitch and I absolutely love driving it. So it's up to you, but if it were me I would send it with the high torque tune.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
As someone who owned a stage 2 HT-tune 7GTI, it was spin city all day from a dig and even at speed. It was fun sometimes, but there were times, I just want to send it and go, and I'd just end up spinning unless I feathered.

I had Eurodyne then, so I switched to the lower tq tune with my Power Tap. That concept is something you will never be able to do with APR's dealer model.

Good luck with how you decide.

flaming_panda31

Car(s)
2016 mk7 gti
As someone who owned a stage 2 HT-tune 7GTI, it was spin city all day from a dig and even at speed. It was fun sometimes, but there were times, I just want to send it and go, and I'd just end up spinning unless I feathered.

I had Eurodyne then, so I switched to the lower tq tune with my Power Tap. That concept is something you will never be able to do with APR's dealer model.

Good luck with how you decide.
I'm definitely leaning more towards the high tq I think i can manage the wheelspin plus I think its the better trade off cause I think for apr it ends up being like 350 tq and 290 hp but the low tourqe tune is 300 tq and 310 hp or something. Also I would like to dye one where I can change them myself but I'm on a budget and either apr dropped the price of their ecu and tcu tune to 495 each so...

flaming_panda31

Car(s)
2016 mk7 gti
I can't comment on the 0-60 time, but I can say that the more torque you have the easier it will be for the car to knock the tires off. The torque will make a bigger difference in acceleration in a gear where the engine has more time to pull (3rd and 4th). Compared to stock either the normal tune or the high torque tune will spin the tires more.

If you want to have your cake and eat it too I highly suggest upgraded motor and transmission mounts. These will eliminate wheel hop and help traction out of the hole significantly.

“Undriveable” is relative. Some people on here spin all the way through third gear and still daily drive their cars. Undriveable really is up to you. I spin pretty good in second with all seasons and motor/trans mounts but I put over 10,000 miles on my car each year without a hitch and I absolutely love driving it. So it's up to you, but if it were me I would send it with the high torque tune.
Yeah I had know idea how they drive with stage 1 since I can get the wheels to spin pretty easy off the line already but I think I'll go high tq I plan to buy a second set of rims so I can have some high performance summers and some all seasons or winters on the other

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
COBB is way better than APR if for no other reason than the superior traction control and EQT's COBB tunes are awesome, plus you can resell the cobb later

if you are absolutely married to the idea of APR though i can't see why would not go high tq

flaming_panda31

Car(s)
2016 mk7 gti
COBB is way better than APR if for no other reason than the superior traction control and EQT's COBB tunes are awesome, plus you can resell the cobb later

if you are absolutely married to the idea of APR though i can't see why would not go high tq
Honestly didn't even think about the fact I could resell the cobb unit

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I'm a low torque tune kinda guy. I like more power, but not the most power. I like being able to floor it with less worries and be able to put the power down.

I got timing pull running shell 93 on my Unitronic Stage 1+ (93) tune, so I went down to the Stage 1 (91) tune still running 93 and it never pulled timing ever, and was still fast as hell (280HP/310TQ, compared to a factory 220/260).

I also ran UHP All Seasons, specifically Michelin AS3+. If you go Stage 1 high torque and get BFI Stage 1 mounts and run summer tires, you'll be able to put most of the power down.

If you went Cobb/EQT - you could go Stage 1 High Torque in the summer with summer tires, and switch to Stage 1 Low Torque in the winter with winter/all seasons.

you can't do that with APR.

If you went Cobb/EQT, you'd never have to leave your house to tune your car (well - unless you wanted to do a protune with Ed).

If you go APR, you have to drive somewhere, pay them $50-$100 to flash your car, and wait for 2-3 hours while they do something that should take 30-45 minutes. And if you want to go stage 2 later on, you have to take it back to that same place, and pay them again to flash your car again.

If you go Cobb/EQT, you support a small business. (well, at least with EQT you do)

If you go APR, you support a big business who doesn't care at all about you.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
2.0T's have no love for UM, Uni, Revo or like these days? Seems everyone has Cobb/<insert tuner> these days. Most of the other platforms I believe have flash loaders that allow you to flash yourself. UM lets you adjust Octane and boost pressure I believe along with other items.

Maybe i'm just jelly cause Cobb isn't on the 1.8T so options are more limited. 🤷‍♂️

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
2.0T's have no love for UM, Uni, Revo or like these days? Seems everyone has Cobb/<insert tuner> these days. Most of the other platforms I believe have flash loaders that allow you to flash yourself. UM lets you adjust Octane and boost pressure I believe along with other items.

Maybe i'm just jelly cause Cobb isn't on the 1.8T so options are more limited. 🤷‍♂️

Does ECUTek have their own device? I thought they used the Accessport

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Apr limits boost a good bit in first and second gear (dsg). I asked apr what were the boost numbers low tq vs high tq
B0ABCC03-0D9E-4D63-8FCB-402D02C1D632.jpeg

At my elevation (Denver Colorado), I flashed apr stage 1 low tq 91 octane. I dyno’d 280whp and 320wtq

Cobb and all third party tunes that use the accessport, they get to leverage this dope ass feature that seems to be exclusive to Cobb. It seems like the tune waits till there’s slip and the ecu immediately cuts timing. It can do it several times a second too. It’s like a better traction control that can be customized to be very intrusive or hardly. I’ve seen gti launches on YouTube using cobbs tc and holy crap! U can just floor it and let the Cobb tc sort it all out. The acceleration is wild from a launch!

fiesta st’s pick up almost 3 seconds at my local track when they go stage 1 and use the Cobb tc. It was a huge game changer for them. Maybe look into the Cobb accessport?

I’m happy with the apr route. No issues yet. And I do monitor knock after each fill up too.

as far as 0-60 and 0-100. The high tq file is faster. There’s more power throughout the whole rev range due to the extra boost.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
High torque, upgrade tires and get mounts.

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
EQT running a sale with free tunes on COBB also right now, and you can switch the tunes, and EQT has amazing custom traction control on COBB that will put the power down easily in 1st/2nd gear on a stage 1 car. If do more mods later on COBB is better too for pro tunes or for changing tunes later on

now that COBB is so good I honestly can't see why anyone would buy an old school off the shelf tune from APR or Unitronic or whatever