GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Post your VW Driver Gear spring setup.

TCdaosithui

Ready to race!
Still seems strange that the previous owner but a non standard size tire on there. Did you buy it with OEM wheels?

What Hankook model?

Maybe I’m missing something...
to be honest, I didn't know what it was supposed to be, the car was a CPO from out of state, 1st owner leased and returned early, it came with the Austin that I was familiar with. Maybe because mine is a manual, base model? I was about to get the same 225/35 but couldn't find it, now I know why, lol
I sold the set for $120 lol, it was Ventus something ...

nype

Drag Racing Champion
to be honest, I didn't know what it was supposed to be, the car was a CPO from out of state, 1st owner leased and returned early, it came with the Austin that I was familiar with. Maybe because mine is a manual, base model? I was about to get the same 225/35 but couldn't find it, now I know why, lol
I sold the set for $120 lol, it was Ventus something ...
Interesting...how many miles when you bought it? Were the tires it came with new?

If they were Hankook Ventus S1 noble2 then that is one of the make/model that VW uses. I’ve never heard of them fit 235/35/18 to any MK7s. Just really odd that the size was slightly off.

Oh well....at least you sold ‘em!

GTEYE19

Car(s)
'19 GTI autobahn
Wondering if anyone has any recommendations on strut mount/bearing replacement with install:

Car is at ~5,500 miles right now. I am pretty easily frustrated by noise so I want to replace whatever needed to avoid clanks and squeaks. Have read through the posts here and just wondering what people have done to avoid this. Seems like most have pointed out the bearings specifically. Would be nice to get some input from the guys/girls who have DGs on for over a year or so (just replacing bearings, bearings + mounts, etc)

Last edited:

Branman

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
Wondering if anyone has any recommendations on strut mount/bearing replacement with install:

Car is at ~5,500 miles right now. I am pretty easily frustrated by noise so I want to replace whatever needed to avoid clanks and squeaks. Have read through the posts here and just wondering what people have done to avoid this. Seems like most have pointed out the bearings specifically. Would be nice to get some input from the guys/girls who have DGs on for over a year or so (just replacing bearings, bearings + mounts, etc)

Are you doing the work yourself or having a shop do the install? The reason I’m asking is because your mileage is so low the chances of you developing noises are low compared to someone with higher mileage naturally. I do my own work so I’d take the chance and just throw the springs on and worst case add what is needed later. If you are paying a shop to do it you’d basically be paying almost twice if you ended up with a noise. So in that case might just be better to get everything at once. Hopefully that makes sense.

GTEYE19

Car(s)
'19 GTI autobahn
Are you doing the work yourself or having a shop do the install? The reason I’m asking is because your mileage is so low the chances of you developing noises are low compared to someone with higher mileage naturally. I do my own work so I’d take the chance and just throw the springs on and worst case add what is needed later. If you are paying a shop to do it you’d basically be paying almost twice if you ended up with a noise. So in that case might just be better to get everything at once. Hopefully that makes sense.

This is actually the kind of advice I was looking for being that the car is low mileage. I won't be able to do any of the work myself though, so its a big consideration of mine to maybe just put new front mounts and bearings along with the hardware and have it done in one shot. Better than banging my head later if I do end up with noise for whatever reason. Appreciate the input man.

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE
for those of you with drive gear springs on GTI's are they "level" or do they have a slight foward rake. I believe the eibach's exhibit a front rake ? I'm looking for a mild linear spring that wont have a front rake if anything maybe a slight reverse rake at best

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
for those of you with drive gear springs on GTI's are they "level" or do they have a slight foward rake. I believe the eibach's exhibit a front rake ? I'm looking for a mild linear spring that wont have a front rake if anything maybe a slight reverse rake at best
Is your car a 6sp manual or DSG. If you have a manual and want a sight reverse rake then you can bypass installing the Audi TT rear spring pads. If its a DSG, from what I've seen, most have been quite level. For my car I used the Audi TT spring pads and only have a slight forward rake, very close to level.

Last edited:

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE
Is your car a 6sp manual or DSG. If you have a manual and want a sight reverse rake then you can bypass installing the Audi TT rear spring pads. If its a DSG, from what I've seen, most have been quite level. For my car I used the Ausi TT spring pads and only have a slight forward rake, very close to level.

It will be DSG, good to know it will be pretty much level (y)

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
I agree with Clem604,
I got the DG springs (manual trans) with Audi TT pads in the rear and got the rear sitting higher than the front by like .10inches (estimate) its not bad unless you’re staring at it. I got the Bilstein B8s as well

White18

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
The rake I measure is 1" when checked at the edge of the front and rear wheel wells. I have DG springs and DSG.
IMG_3619a.jpg

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE
The rake I measure is 1" when checked at the edge of the front and rear wheel wells. I have DG springs and DSG.

so the front was 1" lower than rear? you measured from the rocker panel?

White18

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
so the front was 1" lower than rear? you measured from the rocker panel?

Yes. That is correct. Front was 3 7/8". Rear was 4 7/8". Rocker panel to ground.

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE
It’s been almost a year.

LOVE these springs still.

No real degradation in comfort and the ugly gap is gone.

I did strut hats and strut bearings, didn’t want to have to do it twice and they weren’t much more.

Any noise developed over the year? I'll have strut bearing and mounts including new pinch bolts replaced when doing the install, but just curious as it seems some have complained about creaks and noises

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Any noise developed over the year? I'll have strut bearing and mounts including new pinch bolts replaced when doing the install, but just curious as it seems some have complained about creaks and noises

Quiet as before.