GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best Polish - NOT for Paint Correction

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I've been using Meguiar's Ultimate Polish on my car; it needed some minor correction due to car wash marks (and yes I've learned my lesson about "soft cloth" washes), but since the paint was still in pretty good shape, I figured I'd try it before using something more aggressive. It removed the fine scratches and gave it a rather nice shine, so it's definitely worth a shot.
That’s a great one too. Easy to use stuff and easy on the wallet.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
If the paint is perfect don’t polish

but if the paint needs to be clay barred, I’d polish afterwards. I had good luck with tw hybrid ceramic polish and wax. If you need something aggressive this product won’t be it for you.

Here’s a shiny type r. Decon, clay, light polish, one coat of tw hybrid ceramic spray, waited a day and gave it a second coat.

This is very nice. You obviously know what you are doing.

I need to clay the car. I used the Mother's "Speed Clay" and it left a residue all over my paint. A simple clay will remove what's left behind, but I also want to do a light polish as well.

What I've learned so far:

"SMAT" (Super Micro Abrasive Technology, a Meguiar's term), rather than "DAT" (Diminishing Abrasive Technology, a term coined after Meguiar's came out with SMAT) are the two major differences in abrasive technologies.

- I can't find Griot's 10863 anywhere. This is what was recommended by Jantriis02. What I have found is Griot's 10862, which is a compound. Again, I don't need anything close to a compound.

- Meguiar's 205 Finishing Polish is the commercial / professional version of Meguiar's Ultimate Polish. They are essentially the same product, but the Ultimate is more user friendly.

- M82 SWIRL FREE POLISH is specifically for a freshly painted car

All of this information was directly from either the website or Meguiar's forums where the pros are chiming in. I've also had bad experiences with combination products such as polish / wax. The TW Hybrid Ceramic Polish & Wax is a one step product, not necessarily requiring a protection step. I like to have the steps broken down individually as they tend to yield the best results (most of the time)

I've decided to go with Meguiar's Ultimate Polish and an orbital buffer. No need for a DA or rotary action polisher in this case. I want as little cut as possible.

Now my last decision is what to protect the car with? Stay with TW Seal N Shine, or move to something like Ultimate Wax / Griots Liquid Poly Wax? I love the Seal N Shine, and although it's hydrophobic / chemical resistant properties last a very long time, the paint starts to grab easily and doesn't feel very smooth even after one wash. And I'm very careful with my wash routine.

Last edited:

Jantriis02

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI
The car is white. No blemishes, scratches, or swirl marks.

I'll be doing this with a DA. I'm quite familiar with polishing and restore processes in general. I'll be decontaminating and claying the car beforehand.

That would work really well then. sounds like you actually know what youre doing man! good luck!

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
This is very nice. You obviously know what you are doing.

I need to clay the car. I used the Mother's "Speed Clay" and it left a residue all over my paint. A simple clay will remove what's left behind, but I also want to do a light polish as well.

What I've learned so far:

"SMAT" (Super Micro Abrasive Technology, a Meguiar's term), rather than "DAT" (Diminishing Abrasive Technology, a term coined after Meguiar's came out with SMAT) are the two major differences in abrasive technologies.

- I can't find Griot's 10863 anywhere. This is what was recommended by Jantriis02. What I have found is Griot's 10862, which is a compound. Again, I don't need anything close to a compound.

- Meguiar's 205 Finishing Polish is the commercial / professional version of Meguiar's Ultimate Polish. They are essentially the same product, but the Ultimate is more user friendly.

- M82 SWIRL FREE POLISH is specifically for a freshly painted car

All of this information was directly from either the website or Meguiar's forums where the pros are chiming in. I've also had bad experiences with combination products such as polish / wax. The TW Hybrid Ceramic Polish & Wax is a one step product, not necessarily requiring a protection step. I like to have the steps broken down individually as they tend to yield the best results (most of the time)

I've decided to go with Meguiar's Ultimate Polish and an orbital buffer. No need for a DA or rotary action polisher in this case. I want as little cut as possible.

Now my last decision is what to protect the car with? Stay with TW Seal N Shine, or move to something like Ultimate Wax / Griots Liquid Poly Wax? I love the Seal N Shine, and although it's hydrophobic / chemical resistant properties last a very long time, the paint starts to grab easily and doesn't feel very smooth even after one wash. And I'm very careful with my wash routine.
Seems like you have a solid plan. The tw seal n shine really is super resistant. That’s for sure. I’d go with that

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Chemical Guys HydroSlick is a pretty easy option. I've been using Optimum Gloss Coat, but have been using more Chemical Guys polishes recently, so figure I should try their coating too at some point.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Polishes are super preferential, lots of products out there and they all perform pretty well. People tend to like what they have good experiences with.

I'll throw my hat in the ring: I've had good experience with the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze. With a soft compound pad it has barely any cutting ability, it's my go-to for just brightening paint when I'm applying fresh sealant.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
sonax make a pretty good finishing step polish - sounds like what you are looking for is a finishing step in general, OP.

i'll tag along to others recommendations and say chemguys hydroslick is a great hand 'caramic sealer' for after your micropolish. It's so easy to use, paint feels slick like it was freshly done for a good 3-4 washes after application. beads nicely.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Polishes are super preferential, lots of products out there and they all perform pretty well. People tend to like what they have good experiences with.

I'll throw my hat in the ring: I've had good experience with the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze. With a soft compound pad it has barely any cutting ability, it's my go-to for just brightening paint when I'm applying fresh sealant.

Very nice. This is exactly what I was shooting for. I'll have to give Woldgang some thought.

Thanks for the tip.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
sonax make a pretty good finishing step polish - sounds like what you are looking for is a finishing step in general, OP.

i'll tag along to others recommendations and say chemguys hydroslick is a great hand 'caramic sealer' for after your micropolish. It's so easy to use, paint feels slick like it was freshly done for a good 3-4 washes after application. beads nicely.

I'm seeing a lot of recommendations for CG Hydroslick. How does it compare to Sean N Shine? I'm looking for comparison videos out there and can't find any.

I wonder how they hold up against each other?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I've been using Meguiar's Ultimate Polish on my car; it needed some minor correction due to car wash marks (and yes I've learned my lesson about "soft cloth" washes), but since the paint was still in pretty good shape, I figured I'd try it before using something more aggressive. It removed the fine scratches and gave it a rather nice shine, so it's definitely worth a shot.
Just curious....which pad & what speed did you use with the Ultimate Polish?

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I used Meguiar's M20 sealant, and then a coat of carnauba wax. The results of which are that with a pressure washer and a foam cannon, washing my car at home is almost completely touchless.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I used Meguiar's M20 sealant, and then a coat of carnauba wax. The results of which are that with a pressure washer and a foam cannon, washing my car at home is almost completely touchless.

I haven't tinkered with layering a whole lot. It's funny how far detailing products have come in the last 10 years. Hard to tell if they are legit or just a gimmick. That's where the YouTube comparison vids come in handy. Love the torture test videos. Jimbo is one of the best.

Technique is one thing. I've got that down from years and years of detailing and taking care of my own cars. The product lines are another. Eternally changing and improving, kinda. This is where I start getting confused. Wax. Spray wax. Liquid wax. Sealant. Liquid spray ceramic sealant wax. Touchless quick sealant spray coating hydro wax.

I'd like the dabble with some product layering, specifically for final step protects.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I'd like the dabble with some product layering, specifically for final step protects.

I had used just the paint sealant once, but I read somewhere (or I'm imagining that I did) that the polymer sealant would keep it shiny longer, but didn't offer the same protection as carnauba. I've no idea if that's actually true, but I applied both over Memorial Day weekend this year (yay, quarantine!) and so far it doesn't look like I'll need to reapply before winter sets in (not that it matters much since my car spends most of the winter (and the rest of its time these days) in the garage.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I had used just the paint sealant once, but I read somewhere (or I'm imagining that I did) that the polymer sealant would keep it shiny longer, but didn't offer the same protection as carnauba. I've no idea if that's actually true, but I applied both over Memorial Day weekend this year (yay, quarantine!) and so far it doesn't look like I'll need to reapply before winter sets in (not that it matters much since my car spends most of the winter (and the rest of its time these days) in the garage.
Carnauba has better protection against bugs and bird shit than regular polymers. The ceramic coatings tend to have better protection than either. Carnauba has nearly no durability though, it's melting point is around 165 degrees, which is easy to hit on a sunny, warm day. I've layered carnauba over both sealants and ceramics as I do really prefer the warmth, but down here, I don't expect that carnauba layer to last much past two weeks.