GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Trick to remove coilpack connectors?

rowdyzombie

Go Kart Newbie
Hi I struggled for 1/2 an hour with disconnecting the coilpack connectors when changing the spark plugs. I have struggled with this on my mk6 gti too. I was wondering if there is a trick or tool to use to make this easier.

I used my thumbs to get a click, but then they wouldn’t disconnect. My thumbs got raw so I then used a rag and thumbs. I then used both regular n micro sized screwdriver. At some point I got one off and then it went smooth. I broke off part of the clip on one connector but it is secure. The rest of the install was so easy.

I put in NGK Ruths and OE NGK’s looked good at 12k miles with APR stage 1 so I doubt the 10-15 k interval for stg 1is too soon.

Attachments

• 7C6456DC-ABDA-47B7-9574-2E441386FD58.jpeg
    7C6456DC-ABDA-47B7-9574-2E441386FD58.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 431
  • AC67156E-71D7-490A-A3C8-323BAFDBBC18.jpeg
    AC67156E-71D7-490A-A3C8-323BAFDBBC18.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 470

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Get a pick set. Can slide it into the tab and underneath the locking mechanism to lift up. Lifting up the front of the clip is easier than trying to push down on the back side of it.

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
the trick is you need to have your engine warm. Comes out easy every time, and put some dielectric geese on the coil packs so it stays easy for next time.

rowdyzombie

Go Kart Newbie
Yah a pick set sounds good. I tried pushing the tab in, then pushing in but it just wouldn’t go. I also had taken off the coil hold down bolt first, which probably made it harder. Oh my thumbs...thanks.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Get a pick set. Can slide it into the tab and underneath the locking mechanism to lift up. Lifting up the front of the clip is easier than trying to push down on the back side of it.
yeah the trick to all of these style connectors is to push the tab down then push the connecters into each other fully, like seat them deeper, then pull back like you would to remove.
These ^

projectTVMK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi A3

rowdyzombie

Go Kart Newbie
I watched the video and tried it again n it’s ust a pita. I got some stubborn connectors I guess good thing I finished the job so no worries for a couple years. May just buy new connectors

projectTVMK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi A3

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
You shouldn't need a pick or tool to get these out. I have little baby bitch hands, these things hurt my thumbs if I push on them wrong. Put your Index and middle finger from your dominant hand behind the connector, and press your thumb into the clip on the front. Put pressure in and down onto the clip, and press down (further in) on the whole thing. Your connector should move down, slightly deeper, then you can pull up.

What you really need to be careful with is the coil-pack bolts. They are rated for 8lb torque and super easy to strip.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
If you didn’t break a tab on a VW it’s a lease vehicle