GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

my tuned GTI suffered a catastrophic engine failure...

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
I have a 17 with the EQT 91 Stage 1 OTS tune. I run 93 in my car. This post is the stuff of nightmares. My car is paid for and I can “pay to play” as they say, but having a GTI paperweight doesn’t appeal to me either. EQT seems reputable/solid, but man...scary stuff.

If you’re worried upgrade you’re EQT OTS for a Protune/Custom Tune.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
The map stage 1 for the wrx is either really good or really bad

same with their stage 2. I’d imagine a bunch of guys here with apr and unitronic tunes experience knock and don’t even know it. Scary shit, I still wonder why more folks don’t gravitate towards the accessport and a custom etune or pro tune on the dyno
Probably for the same reasons you chose to go with the APR Stage 1, "cost"?

Read more on this thread and you'll learn there was a suspect tune and maintenance history here. Curious as to why you're running a 91 tune when you have access to 93? Purely from a safety standpoint? That seems like a pretty drastic sacrifice to me.

I drive to some Deep South states like MS/LA, and have occasionally run into areas where they only have 91. That’s the main reason.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
Read more on this thread and you'll learn there was a suspect tune and maintenance history here. Curious as to why you're running a 91 tune when you have access to 93? Purely from a safety standpoint? That seems like a pretty drastic sacrifice to me.
If he has a 91 Tune and uses 93, then in essence he is already applying additional safety. That also can aide with possible poor fuel quality from the 91 pump.
Explain the "sacrifice" when using a higher octane than required on any given tune?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If he has a 91 Tune and uses 93, then in essence he is already applying additional safety. That also can aide with possible poor fuel quality from the 91 pump.
Explain the "sacrifice" when using a higher octane than required on any given tune?

The only sacrifice is cost.

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
I wonder what happened with OP. I want to know if he went with the dealer buyback to get him into a ‘19 GTI.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
Compared to running the 93 tune, a 91 tune on 93 would be slightly more expensive gas for a little less power. Not as "drastic" as described but still a sacrifice in some eyes.
I understood the contention to be a 93Oct tune vs 91Oct for addt'l safety. That being said, using 93Oct on a 91Oct tune is more appreciable than a base 91Oct alone.
This does not denote a power increase, just addt'l margin for error.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The hp difference between 91 oct and 93 oct tunes isn't huge, but it is measurable. I have the EQT stg1 91 and run 93, because I wanted the added knock resistance on track and I want to be able to drive the car cross country without having to switch maps or fiddle around. If I drive to California, and fill up with 91 oct, it's no big deal, though I wouldn't track the car on that piss water. lol.

Last edited:

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
The hp difference between 91 oct and 93 oct tunes isn't huge, but it is measurable. I have the EQT stg1 91 and run 93, because I wanted the added knock resistance and I want to be able to drive the car cross country without having to switch maps or fiddle around. If I drive to California, and fill up with 91 oct, it's no big deal, though I wouldn't track the car on that piss water. lol.

Glad you mentioned this. Gonna buy the 91 octane map soon so when I travel, I'll just flash to it.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Miniscule sacrifice you mean? 3-4 bucks extra per tank of gas?

I did say slightly haha

I understand the added knock resistance could potentially fend off damages that far exceed the cost savings in gas, and it does make it less stressful looking for gas when you travel.

I've never ran an OTS map, I don't like the one-size-fits-all approach because as we've seen, it doesn't always work. I ran protunes on my old cars and I'll have two different protune maps on the GTI soon. This is an expensive way to tune but again, less expensive than new engines. OTS seems cheap and easy until you become of the few who it was neither cheap nor easy for.

Understanding that any tune could cause problems, at least a protune is specific to my car, my mods, my local weather, etc etc.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I did say slightly haha

I understand the added knock resistance could potentially fend off damages that far exceed the cost savings in gas, and it does make it less stressful looking for gas when you travel.

I've never ran an OTS map, I don't like the one-size-fits-all approach because as we've seen, it doesn't always work. I ran protunes on my old cars and I'll have two different protune maps on the GTI soon. This is an expensive way to tune but again, less expensive than new engines. OTS seems cheap and easy until you become of the few who it was neither cheap nor easy for.

Understanding that any tune could cause problems, at least a protune is specific to my car, my mods, my local weather, etc etc.

I also had a protuned STI eat cylinder #4 ringlands, and it was done by a reputable tuner that was told to make a safe, trackable tune. Now I know STI and GTI are way different platforms, but protunes can and do go wrong sometimes too.