GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PCV Block Off Plate vs. Catch Can vs. Nothing

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I had my valves cleaned at 100K and it made a noticeable difference and I didn't have any misfiring, rough idle etc.

Nothing wrong with doing it at 100k, but that’s at least 50k more miles than 80-90% of people on these forums will even out on these cars before bailing for something else.

Worth it is subjective, but for the minimal difference it’s low on my list until it’s needed.

Would the runner flaps be in an appropriate position for me to get a glimpse at the valves? My idle is not rough really (considering I have BFI mounts and a dogbone insert, it could definitely be rougher), no misfires I can detect. Don't want to just go and have the valves cleaned if they don't need to.
I get up to 34mpg highway when running regular 91 and not E20. Gas mileage has not dropped significantly in the past 3+ years of ownership.

I’d wait till it shows signs or the WP needs replaced unless you’ve got six figure mileage Or more

True, though don't the MPI kits offer port injection? Or is it just upgrading the stock Injectors?
It’s a second set of injector in the intake manifold so excellent for keeping valves clean but very expensive and only really justified if you’re HP goals demand it (over 450whp)

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Port injection. I'm going to go that route though because of cost. About 3K for everything including a new tune.
MPI stands for manual port injection, so it adds port injection by definition.
Thought you needed MPI for E85, but I haven't really done my homework so I could be wrong. I assumed Water/Meth was more for those not running full Corn.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Thought you needed MPI for E85, but I haven't really done my homework so I could be wrong. I assumed Water/Meth was more for those not running full Corn.

You don't need any E to run MPI.
Nothing wrong with doing it at 100k, but that’s at least 50k more miles than 80-90% of people on these forums will even out on these cars before bailing for something else.

Worth it is subjective, but for the minimal difference it’s low on my list until it’s needed.

I’d wait till it shows signs or the WP needs replaced unless you’ve got six figure mileage Or more

It’s a second set of injector in the intake manifold so excellent for keeping valves clean but very expensive and only really justified if you’re HP goals demand it (over 450whp)

My only point was that I can feel a very noticeable difference and I didn't have symptoms of it needing to be done.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI

I want to check out the valves for shits and giggles if it's easy to scope it through the MAP sensor opening. Tell me, should I go order a borescope now? (I know, I know, it's my money, but a borescope won't break my bank.)

I'll be changing the thermostat/WP myself, so that service will not coincide with valve cleaning.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I want to check out the valves for shits and giggles if it's easy to scope it through the MAP sensor opening. Tell me, should I go order a borescope now? (I know, I know, it's my money, but a borescope won't break my bank.)

I'll be changing the thermostat/WP myself, so that service will not coincide with valve cleaning.

If you get one get a high resolution one. The one my dealer used the picture they showed me was so low of resolution I really couldn't tell much.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

I do everything myself hence the plan to do WP/valve cleaning at the same time (you pull the manifold anyway for access). I’d love to answer your runner flap question, but I have no clue. I can’t imagine they ever close completely, but would assume cold start activity adjusts them to act as a choke.

Granted it’s a good idea for those paying labor as well, but I always do as much at the same time as possible for efficiency.

For instance I held off on my SuperPro LCA installation for a few months till my B14 arrived and did ball joints at the same time. If it’s coming off there’s a good chance it’s getting serviced/replaced.

As for the borescope I’d ask around to see if you can borrow a good one or just risk it and buy something cheap with good reviews (Amazon). Even with a shop at home I don’t own one, but my neighbor two doors down does. It’s just not something I see myself getting much use out of (I don’t do maintenance for anyone but myself).