GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Typical Interstate Speeds

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
I live in California and typically cruise at 80. Most people here do the same, and even faster, when there's no traffic.

If I go out of state, though, I drop it down to 70.

I did get a ticket once for doing 75 in a 70.

I got pulled over by a Sheriff in a small town in Texas in a rental car. He was just checking us out as it was a rental from a company that wasn't anywhere in the area. "8 yer great. 9 yer mine boah."

cb1111

So the famed speed camera system in the UK is just the inner cities then, eh? That's good to hear. Was always paranoid about renting a car on a UK trip due to them.

I did set my "snow tire chime" to 140km/hr on day two of owning the DSG GTI. My manual 04 TDI sounds a certain way at certain revs, which means I can manage my speed by ear. Not the case with the GTI, especially when she was new. Got up to license losing speeds way to quickly and stealthily on me.
They have cameras all over the place now - they used to only have them in urban areas.

I had moved from Germany to the UK and had just bought a car in Maryland. In the UK (if you are connected to the US military), you keep whatever plates are on the car for 6 months before you get the UK plates.

I just picked up the car at port in the Netherlands, took the ferry to the UK and drove to Huntington (where I was stationed). The car was a new Corvette and had Maryland paper plates. I had a US Army Europe driver's license from Germany. Right around Bury St Edmunds, I got pulled over by a cop for going a tenner or two (maybe three) over the limit. The cop looked at my registration, my license and my car and said "I've got no idea how to write this up. Drive a bit slower from now on". I said "I will, thanks. Do you want to take the car for a spin?" He called me a week later and we had a nice drive on a closed course.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
I've gotten pulled over in Virginia. It was many years ago, but they were not kind. I'm pretty sure they gave me 65 in a 45 (highway dropped down to 45 near VA Beach) but I was only ticketed.

I've also been stopped in NY state for keeping pace with traffic. Keeping pace with traffic meant 80 in a 55 but still, I was in the right lane and was NOT the fastest moving vehicle on that stretch of highway.

Out of state tags are a written invitation to pull your ass over. I've since learned to behave out of state. Except on 95 in CT, because 95 in CT blows and if it is actually moving I feel an urge to take full advantage.
95 in ct is one of those that I have found myself flying down at times since the left lane will book it while the right will be below the speed limit

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
I will almost always completely blow the doors off them in the right hand lane, get in front, slow down (without hitting the brakes) then hit the washer fluid. Repeatedly.

If you're in the left lane, driving the exact same speed as the people in the lane to your right, you're an asshole. If you're ever passed by 3 people in a row on the right hand side, you're an asshole. By the same token, if you pass more than 3 people on the right hand side, you're an asshole. Simple rules to live by.
Hahaha, brilliant. I'll have to try this maneuver. Maybe I'll even use the rear washer fluid for a more direct hit 😅

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
this wknd I am driving in moderate traffic with a handful of cars bunched up. I moved into passing lane and gave it some go. I was doing 80 in a 55 when I saw LEO. fortunately he didn't get me (part of cluster maybe?)

Victory!

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
If you're in the left lane, driving the exact same speed as the people in the lane to your right, you're an asshole. If you're ever passed by 3 people in a row on the right hand side, you're an asshole. By the same token, if you pass more than 3 people on the right hand side, you're an asshole. Simple rules to live by.

This morning on my way to work the right lane was WIDE open. Not one single car. Yet there was a line of eight cars all in the left lane..

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
this....and welcome back

Mud

cb1111

I will almost always completely blow the doors off them in the right hand lane, get in front, slow down (without hitting the brakes) then hit the washer fluid. Repeatedly.

One of the states (PA if I'm not wrong) had a speed limit law that said, in effect, "if you pass somebody then you're going too fast, if somebody passes you, then you're going too slow"

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
One of the states (PA if I'm not wrong) had a speed limit law that said, in effect, "if you pass somebody then you're going too fast, if somebody passes you, then you're going too slow"

PA also has signs regularly on every highway/interstate saying "KEEP RIGHT PASS LEFT" and people drive by it in the left lane with an empty right lane.

I mean what's the correct thing to do in a situation where the right lane is completely empty and there's eight cars in a line in the left lane going exactly the speed limit? If the sign says 70 and they're all going exactly 70, but I want to go 78, do I just suck it up and get in line behind them in the left lane? Or do I pass eight cars using the right lane?

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
I pass 8 cars in the right lane.

"Two wrongs don't make a right" I know I know, but come on! They're never going to learn. Clearly the guy in front is unphased by the line of cars behind him, all of whom presumably are waiting for him to move so they can speed up. I see no reason to add a 9th car to the insanity.

I've watched enough cops pass on the right (and not stop anyone parked in the left) that I no longer overthink this situation.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
I've watched enough cops pass on the right (and not stop anyone parked in the left) that I no longer overthink this situation.

One of my buddies got a ticket for driving in the left lane here in PA. The cop followed him for a couple miles. He was nervous about the cop being behind him and was only focused on his speed and not that he was driving in the wrong lane. Eventually the cop pulled him over and cited him for it.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
I try to respect speed limits (somewhat) but my GTI beckons me to go faster and faster.. It handles so well and has great passing power so how can I not? It’s just sheer luck at this point that I haven’t been stopped 😂

IES99

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
This is just to satisfy my curiosity: a little survey. Does anyone else have the following issue?

I have an issue with driving fast on the highway. It's a combination of substantial lack of patience and boredom. My father had the same issue, so I believe this is a genetic disposition. (However, I note that a lot of other drivers also seem to cruise at fast speeds these days.) On familiar interstates where there is a clear line sight and no speed traps, I often travel at about 90 MPH. In unfamiliar areas, I travel 14 MPH over the speed limit. On my last road trip, I was traveling at 90 to 95 MPH frequently to cover more ground in less time.

Regarding my last trip: On I-20 in South Carolina, I was traveling very fast as 90 to 95 MPH on open highway. On I-40 in Tennessee I was traveling about 90 MPH once I got out of the mountains. On I-26 in South Carolina, I was traveling at about 85 MPH largely inhibited by traffic.

I take some pride in knowing when it is safe to speed and where the speed traps will be using only my eyes. My speed is rarely constant local to my area of the country because of the rolling hills. Cresting a hill is more dangerous so I slow down at those points. When I feel patient, I often set cruise control at the highest speed that is safe by my definition. Just so that folks do not assume that I am a total jerk, I respect construction zones, keep lots of space between my car and the next, and slow down to pass so that the speed differential is not dangerous for the slower moving vehicles. At higher speeds, I become like a hawk, extremely vigilant of dangers.

In South Carolina on the I's where the posted speed is 70, the typical cruising speed is 80 and the state troopers don't care about that.

echelonphoto

Ready to race!
German drivers must attend rigorous and expensive driving classes run by private companies...they pay for it themselves...so when they are done....they know everything there is to know and are very safe drivers....the problem in Germany are the tourists from other countries who don't follow protocol. Now Italy, is another story...they don't have unlimited speed limits, but drivers there drive just as fast as germany, but don't follow ANY guidelines...its a free for all. I was driving on a mountain road in the dolomites and going around blind hairpin turns on one lanes, I was being passed by motorcycles who had no idea of what was around the corner...and I was not driving slow by any means. Greece really tests your driver's skills....I liken Athens to a controlled demolition derby with many traffic circles where there are hundreds of mopeds and scooters and NO rules at all. You have to know where you are going. BTW, I was caught by a traffic camera in germany driving at night in a small town...I guess i was going a little over the limit....It was like a UFO came on us, flashes and pops all over the place. Luckily, I was leasing the car and never got a fine, because the LEASING company was from france. One tip, if you rent a car in Europe, get a diesel, diesel fuel is one dollar cheaper per liter than regular, they make great turbo diesels there so you get performance and economy...I think I averaged 36 mpg in a renault megane travelling at 100+ mph speeds lots of the time.