GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Meguiar's Air Re-Fresher

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
I hose my car down with "Paris Guy". Sophisticated French cologne. From France. Chicks love France.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

I ordered the Meguiars one as well for when this one dissipates, New Car scent. Although, this review doesn't give me any hope sadly:

"There is no new car scent here. Oh my gosh, will I ever get this smell out of my car?!! Do I ever regret this purchase!!! If the dollar store sells $1 men's cologne in 16 oz size, imagine a bottle of it poured into your car, across the seats etc. It produces a gag effect. I used the product exactly as instructed."

That's exactly what the Turtle Wax New Car scent smells like. Dollar store cologne. I just want that new car smell back :(

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Seems like you may want to use it with the Windows cracked to be on the safe side.

Will do. I used to just spray Lysol into the AC intake on previous cars but there's no easy way to get to the AC air intake on a Golf.

rye0pa

Go Kart Newbie
Did the musty smell you were trying to get rid of eventually return?
It has not returned as of yet. It been ok all summer. I also have started to turn on AC a minute or 2 before I stop car now though as good practice.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It has not returned as of yet. It been ok all summer. I also have started to turn on AC a minute or 2 before I stop car now though as good practice.

Do you mean you turn off the AC a minute or two before you shut off the car?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Get boxes of baking soda. The one that goes in the freezer

open the top. Put two in the car. Give it a day or two. If that won’t help the smell nothing will

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Will do. I used to just spray Lysol into the AC intake on previous cars but there's no easy way to get to the AC air intake on a Golf.

What if you spray it wherever the air intakes are inside the car for the air re-circulation mode?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
What if you spray it wherever the air intakes are inside the car for the air re-circulation mode?

Yes you can do that. The air intake for the recirculation is on the passenger side at the firewall near the center console.

rye0pa

Go Kart Newbie
Do you mean you turn off the AC a minute or two before you shut off the car?
Yes I was reading somewhere that the reason for the musty smell is because the condenser coil is still wet when you shut off the car this creating a nice environment for mold to grow. Of you shut off the AC a minute or 2 before turning off the car but still run the fan it dries the coil off and not allowing a moist environment for the funk to grow. This is sound advise as I used to be a HVAC technician and most AC systems run the fan for a bit before shutting down.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid

Under the windshield cowl you can see the intake leading to the cabin air filter. Do you think spraying Lysol in there would work (with the filter removed)? Either that or perhaps leave an old filter in there I don't mind ruining.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Under the windshield cowl you can see the intake leading to the cabin air filter. Do you think spraying Lysol in there would work (with the filter removed)? Either that or perhaps leave an old filter in there I don't mind ruining.

Yes that's the best place to spray it because it goes through the entire system. It's just a little difficult getting to that area. It will leave a slightly sweet smell coming out of the vents. For the guys who drive very short trips this is the best way to eliminate mold and bacteria from the system.