GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Meguiar's Air Re-Fresher

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Does this product or anything similar truly remove odors as claimed or do they simply mask them?

* Our molecular odor eliminating chemistry works great at permanently removing smells like cigarette smoke, wet dog, work-out gear and more. *Meguiar's® Re-Fresher technology permanently removes existing bad odors through chemical bonding at a molecular level.

Seems too good to be true.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I've heard good things about it but not sure if its because they are being promoted or if people actually like the product. I'd be willing to try one out on my daily driver and let you know what I think. Whatever cleaning stuff they used in it from the dealership smells like diaper ointment and I'm not a fan so I'd love to get rid of that smell and replace it with something different.

I think I'd sooner try the similar product from arm and hammer though

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I've heard good things about it but not sure if its because they are being promoted or if people actually like the product. I'd be willing to try one out on my daily driver and let you know what I think. Whatever cleaning stuff they used in it from the dealership smells like diaper ointment and I'm not a fan so I'd love to get rid of that smell and replace it with something different.

I think I'd sooner try the similar product from arm and hammer though

I haven't tried it either but Meguiar's makes excellent products in general.

Jozooka

Go Kart Newbie
I've only used Ozium which is a similar type of product. It works better than a something that just covers bad smells with better smells, though it's not a miracle product. The previous owner of my car was a smoker and the smell would come out when the weather turned hot. I bombed the car twice with Ozium and let it run for 10 minutes with the A/C on and that got rid of 95% of the odor. Now I only get a tiny whiff of the smoke-stink if the car sits unused for days in summer.

RuffledJersey

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 S DSG
It doesn’t have the Meguiar’s cachet but I’ve had good luck with Febreze - it took care of the coffee odor after a Dunkin’ extra large spilled onto my mat and carpet.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I plan on picking one up and testing it out. It's only like $8. Only slight concern is it shooting it's mist straight up into the headliner and leaving a stain.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
not really related but got some Meg soap from Amazon because covid and didn't want to go out. Smells like a combo of flowers and perfume...it may be nice but I don't want my car soap to smell pretty.

Mud

agree on the sounds like bs

rye0pa

Go Kart Newbie
I have tried the turtle wax version. It worked pretty good I used to get a musty smell when I first turned on the AC. Make sure you remove the air filter and I also left the filter door off /glove box out and set the can near passenger floor.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I have tried the turtle wax version. It worked pretty good I used to get a musty smell when I first turned on the AC. Make sure you remove the air filter and I also left the filter door off /glove box out and set the can near passenger floor.

So my local shop didn't have the Meguiar's version in. I ended up getting one of the Turtle Wax ones, in their 'Kinetic New Car' scent. This one to be exact.

So, it seems to work well enough. Although, I don't think anyone at Turtle Wax actually knows what a new car smells like. This smells nothing like new car.

Scent is very strong. Which, would be a good thing if you like the scent. I ran my AC on recirc for 15 minutes, and have been letting my car air our for a few hours. It's akin to a teenager unloading a can of Axe Body Spray on themselves before a first date; it's a rather strong, unpleasant scent and you can smell my car from 20 feet away. Definietely powerful stuff, the scent lingers on your clothes after driving for 15 minutes. Let's see how it holds up.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
So my local shop didn't have the Meguiar's version in. I ended up getting one of the Turtle Wax ones, in their 'Kinetic New Car' scent. This one to be exact.

So, it seems to work well enough. Although, I don't think anyone at Turtle Wax actually knows what a new car smells like. This smells nothing like new car.

Scent is very strong. Which, would be a good thing if you like the scent. I ran my AC on recirc for 15 minutes, and have been letting my car air our for a few hours. It's akin to a teenager unloading a can of Axe Body Spray on themselves before a first date; it's a rather strong, unpleasant scent and you can smell my car from 20 feet away. Definietely powerful stuff, the scent lingers on your clothes after driving for 15 minutes. Let's see how it holds up.
Yikes... Let us know if the scent calms down after a while

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid

I see their website says
To lessen the amount of fragrance keep windows partially opened during application.

rye0pa

Go Kart Newbie
The scent diminished pretty quickly for me within a few days and I could barely smell it.